PDA

View Full Version : Found a great deal on crank driven water pumps

yeller
04-13-2017, 11:27 AM
If you're thinking of getting a crank driven water pump, this guy has a few available:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-F6B-9-Marine-Raw-Water-Pump-/122298287187

I noticed the flange on my pump was cracked, due to an improper installation, so checked ebay and found the above. He's asking $100obo, but he accepted my offer of $80. I probably could have got it for even less, but I'm more than happy with $80. My other option was a new one at about three times that.

I just received it yesterday and I took the impeller out to check the condition. Except for a very minor bit of corrosion inside the housing, it's like new. A light scuff with sandpaper and it cleaned right up.

Fishermanjm
04-13-2017, 09:11 PM
Good deal!!! Can the crank driven pumps be a
replacement to a standard accessory belt driven pump???

yeller
04-14-2017, 10:32 AM
Plumbing wise, it certainly could be done. I had actually thought of doing it for the 502, because I was having such a hard time making a stock pump work with my setup. I don't know if the flow would be sufficient throughout the rpm range though. You'd have to research the flow data of the pump. I never got that far.

smokediver
04-14-2017, 08:08 PM
volvo/penta uses a crank driven pump on their 496s which is also freshwater cooled . I would imagine it would be fine . George would know.

yeller
04-15-2017, 02:36 AM
volvo/penta uses a crank driven pump on their 496s which is also freshwater cooled . I would imagine it would be fine . George would know.As the engine water circulation pump? Are you sure? Not saying it isn't so. Just surprised.

smokediver
04-15-2017, 05:44 AM
As the main raw water pump feeding the heat exchanger. I believe they use a standard engine water circulation pump for coolant. Google Volvo penta 496 and look at the images. You will see a small crank driven water pump.

gcarter
04-15-2017, 09:19 AM
As the engine water circulation pump? Are you sure? Not saying it isn't so. Just surprised.

Yep! More than adequate.
The other alternative is a remote Meziere 55 GPM electric pump like I used.