PDA

View Full Version : Transom Step

woobs
03-19-2017, 02:40 PM
I have been reading over the past few days (probably too much) on a number of sites where people have made a "step" at the transom by cutting out the bottom of their "V" between the stringers and making a small bulkhead between 6"-12" forward. Anyone here have experience with this? I have a few questions.....

What is the purpose of this "step"?
What are the benefits?
How does it work?
Is it like adding a stand-off box or stern jack?
Does it clean up the turbulent water coming off the hull?
Does it compliment a raised "X"?
What are the drawbacks?

Carl C
03-19-2017, 02:49 PM
That would be a "notch" and it is to provide cleaner water to the prop and allow for a higher "X". The downside is that it shortens the running surface.

woobs
03-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Thanks Carl.

What's the downside of a shorter running surface? Just less wetted hull?
Does it impact handling significantly?

Carl C
03-20-2017, 06:48 AM
Thanks Carl.

What's the downside of a shorter running surface? Just less wetted hull?
Does it impact handling significantly?

I honestly don't know how it impacts handling, especially on a Donzi Classic. I do know that I boat off-shore and need every bit of running surface I have to help span waves.

woobs
03-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Understood.
Let's just say at 17'3" I don't think I'll be looking for the big stuff. In the context of my project, it will be a lake boat and never see the swells of salt water. I suppose I could take it out on Lake Ontario... where there can be some big water (or Georgian bay & Lake Simcoe). More likely, it will see less than 1' chop at worst and a lot of boat wake from busy lakes.