PDA

View Full Version : 2017 AOTH ... New Location

Inferno
03-07-2017, 03:35 PM
May 19-20 at Lake Norris Tenn..... Who's coming ??? I heard there going to be a lot of boats ...

BUIZILLA
03-07-2017, 06:36 PM
:worthy: :cool:

Ed Donnelly
03-08-2017, 12:22 AM
Hope to be Abe to come. Stan still owes me a ride..Ed

Inferno
03-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Ed, The new engine was just dyno'd at 1380 ,so bring 2 bottles of O2.

Ed Donnelly
03-08-2017, 02:49 PM
At the speed we should be going, I will just have to open my mouth and be forced air in...ed

Inferno
03-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Testing at 103 mph with a lot more throttle left ...... from 60-90 in 4 seconds is a rush, so get ready !!! She is a thoroughbred and just wants you to put more power to her .

fegettes
03-08-2017, 06:44 PM
I did a search for AOTH 2017, didn't find anything. Any details for this year AOTH other than it will be at Lake Norris?

Inferno
03-09-2017, 03:27 PM
Jerry and Byron (Mid West Donzi Club) are getting another hotel near the main one,Hickory Star which is already sold out . There will be an update as soon as they get one . Knoxville is 30 mins away and there are people staying there and leaving there boats at Hickory. Hope this is helpful.

tmdog
03-10-2017, 04:47 PM
Wish it would be organized. Do I need a fast boat to join in?

smokediver
03-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Keep us posted Stan. Sounds like a good time and I would like to make it up there

Inferno
03-10-2017, 09:24 PM
I'm just the messenger.. Jerry and Byron with a little nod from us decided to move it from Cumberland to Norris as its smaller, newer and we get to stop at new places . This is NOT an organized event as insurance is pricey . We wanted to make it affordable for anyone that wants to come . Boats can be left at the main hotel (Hickory Star) and there are many hotels with rates for everyones budget. There will be fast boats and slow boats. We would like everyone to stay together from stop to stop . This is NOT a race, as there will be plenty of Donzi's and many 20 Cigs. The hotel is sold out so there will be a lot of boats . Poodles Baby 14 will be there so I know he will be the last !!! lol

undertaker
03-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Stan will there be slips to keep the boats in or would we have to pull everyday....

Trying to round up a few guys, love the new location and sounds like a fun event/gathering.

Thanks

Ghost
03-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Stan will there be slips to keep the boats in or would we have to pull everyday....

Trying to round up a few guys, love the new location and sounds like a fun event/gathering.

Thanks
I booked a slip with my room.

Inferno
03-11-2017, 08:04 PM
I would think there will be spaces to keep your boat in the water ..I have a slip but I pull mine at night.

undertaker
03-12-2017, 09:04 AM
I would think there will be spaces to keep your boat in the water ..I have a slip but I pull mine at night.

Ok thanks....

undertaker
03-12-2017, 09:15 AM
I booked a slip with my room.

My thought was if the Hickory Hotel is already booked and another one is being worked on for rooms, was not sure if the second hotel would be on the water with slips or not...and if not if slips would be available somewhere.

Will wait for more info....and go from there.

Ghost
03-12-2017, 02:43 PM
My thought was if the Hickory Hotel is already booked and another one is being worked on for rooms, was not sure if the second hotel would be on the water with slips or not...and if not if slips would be available somewhere.

Will wait for more info....and go from there.

Ahh, gotcha. Good luck--hope you can make it. I suppose another possibility would be just getting a slip at the Hickory Hotel. They're a marina as well, so they might have slips even if they don't have rooms.

fegettes
03-13-2017, 02:43 AM
Wish it would be organized. Do I need a fast boat to join in?

Because it is not organized, I can go and take my uninsured boat with me this time.

Inferno
03-13-2017, 07:24 PM
This is NOT an organized run as they wanted over $1000.00 for insurance so there would have been a fee !!!! ..Now No fees ,No checks on insurance (however if you don't have it please don't get close to me :boggled:) . This again is a fun run where we can all get together . Some complained that Insurance was a problem .. Some complained the hotel was too expensive .. some complained that the fees were too high .. some complained just to complain . So this is a no complain run where your in charge of everything . Just be courteous of other boats is all we ask. If you want to sleep in a tent thats fine or if you want a $500 a night hotel in Knoxville is fine also . Just bring your boat and come run the lake with us, as you won't be disappointed. There going to be a lot of boats as Phil is bringing his Lip-ship Cigarettes

roadtrip se
03-17-2017, 11:44 AM
I'll never forget seeing a boat lose their throttle control and end up almost taking out five other boats at one of the AOTH "organized" runs. That is when the MWDC started taking out an umbrella policy. And a requirement of the umbrella was verification of insurance at an individual level. It was no big deal for most. Too cheap to buy insurance for your performance boat? What else did you skimp on this year? Maintenance on your gimbal or drive system? Let me run right next to you, next time.

RedDog
03-17-2017, 02:58 PM
I'll be there. Booked a cabin but slips were all booked up. I'll put it out each night.

smokediver
03-18-2017, 03:31 PM
I booked a cabin as well .

yeller
03-18-2017, 10:44 PM
I'll never forget seeing a boat lose their throttle control and end up almost taking out five other boats at one of the AOTH "organized" runs. That is when the MWDC started taking out an umbrella policy. And a requirement of the umbrella was verification of insurance at an individual level. It was no big deal for most. Too cheap to buy insurance for your performance boat? What else did you skimp on this year? Maintenance on your gimbal or drive system? Let me run right next to you, next time.

Sometimes it's not about being cheap. It's a long trip for me, but the AOTH is on my bucket list. I can not get insurance once I venture outside WA and OR. I have not been able to find an American or Canadian company that will insure me once I leave a predetermined area from my home and head to the US.

Inferno
03-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Do I ask every boat that comes on my lake if they have insurance ..NO !! But I do understand if your putting on a "Organized Run" the organizers are somewhat liable and it's just a way to protect them . It is getting so hard to get insurance for runs, partly because of the poker runs where ever year there are deaths . So this way AOTH is a fun run with no liability on the organizers, as there no one running it . Come enjoy friends, run your boat with respect for others and have fun.

RedDog
03-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Sometimes it's not about being cheap. It's a long trip for me, but the AOTH is on my bucket list. I can not get insurance once I venture outside WA and OR. I have not been able to find an American or Canadian company that will insure me once I leave a predetermined area from my home and head to the US.

Surely Progressive can do it

yeller
03-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Surely Progressive can do it

Nope. I've tried them.

Inferno, I agree. Insurance/Liability can be expensive. I always admired the guys that are willing to put on an organized event. Even with insurance, it can easily become a nightmare for the organizers if one little "i" wasn't dotted or "t" crossed. Not something I would have the balls to put my name on.

tiupc
03-27-2017, 10:34 AM
I use Hagerty/ Elite Insurance in Canada and their policies cover all inland areas, Canada and US. The only exceptions are some distances out in the Oceans of both coasts.
Regards
Trevor

yeller
03-27-2017, 01:34 PM
To the OP (and others), I apologize for turning this into an insurance thread....but it may be of some use to others. No offence taken if you wish to have the moderators delete or move my posts.

I use Hagerty/ Elite Insurance in Canada and their policies cover all inland areas, Canada and US. The only exceptions are some distances out in the Oceans of both coasts.
Regards
Trevor Unless they have changed their policy in the last couple years, they will not insure my boat, even as a stock HP rated 22C

Ghost
03-27-2017, 03:19 PM
To the OP (and others), I apologize for turning this into an insurance thread....but it may be of some use to others. No offence taken if you wish to have the moderators delete or move my posts.

Unless they have changed their policy in the last couple years, they will not insure my boat, even as a stock HP rated 22C

Got a quote from Hagerty a year or two back--they actually were using Markel, not doing it themselves. Might be worth calling Markel directly. They were GREAT when I worked with them.

jl1962
03-27-2017, 04:19 PM
My 18 is insured via Hagerty/Markel.

I may actually travel a little with the boat this year and I am covered on any inland US waterway and up to 25 miles offshore.

And my 2017 premium is $20 less than in 2016.

Thanks, Markel!

gcarter
03-28-2017, 03:54 PM
I went through Hagerty/Markel and got what I wanted, an agreed
value policy based on my survey.
The survey made all the difference and is frequently the key
to good insurance at a good price.

gcarter
03-30-2017, 12:56 PM
I have waited too long and Hickory Star is sold out!
Any locals know of other local accommodations?

gcarter
03-30-2017, 01:25 PM
OK, so here's the deal.....
I was able to snag a cabin for the 17th and 18th, and then I'll look elsewhere...
If anyone w/a reservation cancels, please send me a PM!
I'd really appreciate it.

roadtrip se
03-30-2017, 05:05 PM
Cool to see some traffic and interest in AOTH again.

As for the insurance sub-thread, we had several Canadians show up at AOTH when I was involved with the MWDC, and their insurance checked out. And Markel rocks. We had a major problem with our cruiser last year, and Markel never blinked on the claims. Both the Donzi and the Formula are with them.

yeller
03-30-2017, 06:23 PM
Perhaps I should look at the insurance companies again. It has been a couple years since I've checked. Not as many Canadian companies insuring hipo boats as in the US though.
When I checked a few years ago, I tried every Canadian company I could find and only my current company would insure me.....and they have an area usage limitation. I also checked several US companies that I had seen mention of on OSO and they wouldn't insure Canadian boats.

Not going to the AOTH this year, but I sure hope to at some point. Might have to consider flying out there. George owes me a ride anyways. :)

gcarter
03-30-2017, 06:41 PM
Not going to the AOTH this year, but I sure hope to at some point. Might have to consider flying out there. George owes me a ride anyways. :)

That's a good idea Glen! You and Bobbi fly to Orlando and help out this old fart w/the driving duties and handling the boat. I'd appreciate it!
I found another place down the lake that has large, multi bedroom accommodations and splitting the cost would be affordable.

yeller
03-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Appreciate the offer George! As much as I would like to go, in reality, I know I won't be able to make it this year. Our daughter is getting married around that time, so we'll have too much to do here.

DickB
04-04-2017, 07:51 AM
George, give me a call if you are looking for someone to travel with you.

Inferno
04-05-2017, 09:05 AM
If your thinking of coming to "wake up your Donzi or Cigarette" we will have more hotels . Jerry is headed there this week to find another . The word is there going to be a lot of boats ....... We will post soon ,but once we do you need to make reservations fast.

RickSE
04-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Well I guess I should come here more often. I just saw this thread and this is certainly an interesting development. My Dad lives on Milton Lake just down water from Norris with his 33. I'm checking to see if he's home that weekend. If he is I may come out. Norris is a beautiful lake.

Trueser
04-15-2017, 07:40 AM
Bringing the Critter.....

Ghost
04-15-2017, 06:23 PM
Bringing the Critter.....

Sweet!! See you there.

Inferno
04-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Just heard the other hotel that has rooms is the "Beach Island Marina" .Theres also a Holiday Inn close by : 865-457-2233. Jerry is doing T-shirts for this run, so if you would like one let me or Jerry know . There going to be cotton $20.00.. May 18 is coming fast .

gcarter
04-16-2017, 02:06 PM
https://beachislandmarina.com
They have 2 & 3BR cabins available. Also a restaurant and ramp, but no slips are available.

Donziboy1
04-20-2017, 06:31 PM
I think the house with two bedrooms could be available, You could call Hickory Star to check.
Some boats will have to come out each night, they have some rental slips, but not enough.
The resort George Carter is staying has some cabins and it's only 15-20 minutes away. please check Georges post.

I will post a TShirt pic when I receive it. They will be very nice!!

Thanks Jerry :cool!:

RickSE
05-01-2017, 01:12 PM
I think we may be coming with my Dad's 33. He's going up this week to check out the ramp and facilities. If he feels comfortable my son and I will probably try to get some plane tickets out and fly out to Nashville then drive to Knoxville for a week. I could sure use a vacation.

RickR
05-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Knocked the dust off "Genuine Risk"
"The Boss" and I will be there at least Thursday:cool!:

Weather looks GREAT
Norris Is FULL!

BTW:
This is a local lake for us;
Small lake/ narrow channels. Treat it like the ICW.
Norris has a lot of "Boat Owners" but not many "Boaters" do not depend on the "Boat Owners" knowing the "Right of Way" especially on the Powell River channel.