PDA

View Full Version : Trim tabs

craigdskilling
01-07-2017, 11:11 AM
What is everyone running for trim tabs, I have Bennett tabs on for now that are 12 by 9 and have a opportunity to buy a set of Dana 750 tabs and pumps at a great price but are these to big for the anyone running anything like this set up.they are 12 by15 1/2 seems long worried that they will bite into the water. I'm running at high speed now with the old and when full out the tabs are right up anyway will the longer tabs help or not.Thanks Craig

yeller
01-07-2017, 11:57 AM
I installed 24" tabs on my 22. Some said they are too long and dangerous because they will catch, but some also said I don't need any tabs at all. Both comments were wrong in my opinion, however the first one does hold some merit. I suppose they could catch, but I could also flip due to excess chine walk, or roll by turning too sharp and hitting a side wave, or stuff the bow into a big wave and eject, or.....

The biggest gain you would notice by switching the bennetts out will be the reaction time of the tabs. I had twin ram bennetts and they were painfully slow. I had to ride through some pretty scary situations with the bennetts simply because I couldn't get them down fast enough. I can't comment much on the difference the length makes in control, because I changed the mounting position when I switched tabs, so the overall effectiveness of the tabs changed because of that.

gcarter
01-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Other brands of tabs will also give an aid to climbing into the boat from the transom.

HallJ
01-07-2017, 05:49 PM
From my experience doing a similar change,
I would recommend it. It takes much less tab angle to hold the bow down or level the boat.
Much more efficient. You can really eat up the waves.

Jeff

craigdskilling
01-07-2017, 09:13 PM
I have no problem with waves I worry of loosing bow lift with longer tabs and the tabs grabbing the water at running at 90 mph.

smidgen too
01-08-2017, 10:27 AM
From my experience doing a similar change,
I would recommend it. It takes much less tab angle to hold the bow down or level the boat.
Much more efficient. You can really eat up the waves.

Jeff

Jeff not much tab use here before you switched to the Arneson rocker tabs......:nilly:

Pismo
01-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Bennett ST9, more than enough for my 22

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=8817

Fishermanjm
01-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Pismo, are u from RI???

craigdskilling
01-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Anyone try Lenco trim tabs or should I stay with Bennet.

gcarter
01-11-2017, 07:16 AM

No, but all the new Donzi Classics (except the high horsepower) come w/Lemco tabs.

craigdskilling
01-11-2017, 03:47 PM
I don't now how or can't get the site up. They are lenco 12×12 heavy-duty tabs there electric no pumps.

Pat McPherson
01-13-2017, 11:44 AM

I'm not a big fan of the Bennets. The pumps and pistons are wimpy and tabs move slowly.

I like the simplicity of the Lenco electric and the option of having indicators built into the system.

I've got small K-Planes on my boat and they work well. I'd love to add indicators, but not worth the cost and effort.

Carl C
01-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Dual ram Bennets have worked fine on my boat since it was new. I boat off-shore, 80+ mph and haven't hurt one. Some people like the big tabs on the 22; I don't. I think they are overkill, unnecessary and possibly dangerous. This has been debated many times.