PDA

View Full Version : Winterization anti freeze

Capevettes
11-08-2016, 06:46 AM
I'm about to winterize my 2000 18 Classic. I have always drained the block and filled with anti freeze. These block drains are an absolute PITA to get to. Can I get away with just using the gravity feed plastic containers that feed the anti freeze into the block while it's running? I always do that anyway and then back fill from the thermostat area after I shut it down. The boat will sit outside covered in New England. Just trying to make things easier.

Thanks for any input.

Paul

TBroccoli
11-08-2016, 10:25 AM
I use the muffs with garden hose. Run engine until it heats up. Then I have the store bought kit that has a 5 gallon container "T'd" into the hose line. The container is full of antifreeze. I turn the valve to have the water stop and the antifreeze flow into the muffs. As the antifreeze goes into the engine I fog the carburetor. I check to make sure the antifreeze is coming out my exhausts. Once the 5 gallon container is about empty I shut the engine off. Done for the winter.

Capevettes
11-08-2016, 12:55 PM
I use the muffs with garden hose. Run engine until it heats up. Then I have the store bought kit that has a 5 gallon container "T'd" into the hose line. The container is full of antifreeze. I turn the valve to have the water stop and the antifreeze flow into the muffs. As the antifreeze goes into the engine I fog the carburetor. I check to make sure the antifreeze is coming out my exhausts. Once the 5 gallon container is about empty I shut the engine off. Done for the winter.

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. That just makes it alot easier. Getting at those 8 block drains is almost impossible. Your method just makes alot of sense.

Pat McPherson
11-08-2016, 02:02 PM
I use a 5 gal container with hose to earmuffs too, but...
I start by draining the block from at least one side and draining the exhaust manifolds.
Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I don't trust that the remaining water in the block mixing with the antifreeze is enough protection.

Ghost
11-08-2016, 03:41 PM
I start by draining the block from at least one side and draining the exhaust manifolds.
Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I don't trust that the remaining water in the block mixing with the antifreeze is enough protection.

The lower-temp stuff buys some cushion on that front, but it's spendy...

Capevettes
11-09-2016, 08:25 AM

Pat, That's the way I've always done it but it's a PITA.

Capevettes
11-09-2016, 08:26 AM
The lower-temp stuff buys some cushion on that front, but it's spendy...

Ghost, I'll be using the minus 50 anti freeze.

mattyboy
11-11-2016, 07:55 AM
With a tstat i would setup a pump and bin to catch and repump anti freeze. Until operating temp
Without a tstat i drain and the refill with anti freeze
I have done both but in either case i drain again. I dont trust any liquid
A biggy is make sure you run a wire or awl thru the drain holes to clear gunk and make sure there are no pockets of water behind the gunk

Capevettes
11-12-2016, 07:56 AM
With a tstat i would setup a pump and bin to catch and repump anti freeze. Until operating temp
Without a tstat i drain and the refill with anti freeze
I have done both but in either case i drain again. I dont trust any liquid
A biggy is make sure you run a wire or awl thru the drain holes to clear gunk and make sure there are no pockets of water behind the gunk

Well, I finished the boat yesterday. Ran it until the thermostat opened with water, then switched the T over to anti freeze. Ran 5 gallons of -50 into it. It was running out the pipes solid pink. I fogged it as it ran out of anti freeze and shut it down. I did not drain from the plugs under the block. I'm in pretty good shape for 63, but my days of pulling those plugs and running a wire through the holes is over. I hope this works.

Thanks for all the advice.

f_inscreenname
11-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Like an old guy from Alaska told me one day about winterizing, air don't freeze.

Fishermanjm
11-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Install a closed cooling system on it. I did with mine, now I just
drain the ex. Manifolds an pull the hose on the sea water pump
an also drain the fuel pump. It's still some work no matter how
u spell it out. I'm pulling the drive an rebuilding
the gimbal this year. Hose's boots's and bearings