PDA

View Full Version : 1996 22' Donzi Classic Front Buckets

Pat McPherson
11-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm considering recovering or replacing my front seats. There or no rips / tears but they are 20years old, and...
I've contacted Donzi direct and a local shop to discuss my options.

The new seats from Donzi direct are shorter, 20" tall, vs. my original 24" tall.
I also recall my 87 Minx had/has higher backs than the 16 & 18 Classics.
I'm told that all classics, 16, 18, and 22ft delivered within the past 15 years, have the 20" high bucket.

Question/Opinions on a 20" high bucket vs 24" ?
If the new ones were 24" high I would not hesitate. Now I'm thinking recovering the original is the way I should proceed...

chip w
11-02-2016, 01:38 PM
I talked to Missy at PPI this week about seats for my 18C and she told me that their seats are a little higher than the original. My 18 is the same year as yours. They also gave me two prices, one for new seats and one to recover the original seats. Their number is 941-752-6271. It might be an option worth looking into.

Capevettes
11-03-2016, 07:53 AM
The seats on my 2000 18 Classic are showing some patina, especially near the tops of the seats both front and back where the color has faded. Is there a dye available for these seats that would restore the original color? Mine are white.

Pat McPherson
11-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Hi Chip,
I had also sent e-mail request to PPI for a quote...
Sounds like the same products as Donzi direct...
I called but Missy at a boat show...
We'll see what they come back with...

yeller
11-03-2016, 01:05 PM
The seats on my 2000 18 Classic are showing some patina, especially near the tops of the seats both front and back where the color has faded. Is there a dye available for these seats that would restore the original color? Mine are white.
Years ago, when I was an upholsterer, I use to use a vinyl dye made by Mar Hyde. It worked extremely well. I did a search and it doesn't look like it is made anymore. The other dye of choice in the industry was made by Siemens. Not sure if its still around. (Fyi: it's refered to as a dye, but it looks and applies just like paint)
I don't know if I'd trust anything in a rattlecan. There may be some really good ones. That's just my personal feeling.
I'd go to an autobody supply store to see what they have.

If you do decide to dye the seats, they have to be clean, clean, clean, clean, clean. Soap and water won't cut it. You have to get right down into the pores of the vinyl. Use a vinyl prep after cleaning.

Caution: If you're not at the point of re-upholstering your seats, I don't recommend dying them. If done correctly, the dye will last several years before it wears off. If done incorrectly, it will start to flake off almost immediately and there will be no way to fix it and make it look good. So before you start, you have to be prepared to re-upholster, in case it doesn't work out. 99.9% of the time, the reason it flakes, is poor cleaning and prep.

Hope that helps.

Capevettes
11-04-2016, 08:07 AM
Yeller, Thank you for your detailed reply. I appreciate it. My seats are fine except for the tops where the color has worn away from the sun beating down on it and moisture. I had researched some prep products to get them clean before I dye them. I will check and see if either of those products you mentioned still exist, if not I have some friends in the car resto industry that may be good resources.

Thanks, Paul

Pat McPherson
11-07-2016, 07:41 AM
The quotes I'm getting to recover my original 24" high back seats are nearly the same as purchasing the new Donzi Classic standard 20" high bucket.

Can any of the owners of new boats comment on the comfort and support of the 20" seat?
When running hard in the rough, do they give good support for your back?

Thank you

Carl C
11-07-2016, 10:52 AM
The quotes I'm getting to recover my original 24" high back seats are nearly the same as purchasing the new Donzi Classic standard 20" high bucket.

Can any of the owners of new boats comment on the comfort and support of the 20" seat?
When running hard in the rough, do they give good support for your back?

Thank you

In the rough I always lean forward and move fore and aft with the waves. That takes much of the impact off my back. I suggest my passenger do the same. If just cruising along then my 20" seats are plenty comfortable to lean back into.

Greg Guimond
11-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Pat, clear your PM box

Pat McPherson
11-08-2016, 06:02 AM
Pat, clear your PM box
I deleted 5 messages. Thanks

Pat McPherson
11-08-2016, 09:04 AM
In the rough I always lean forward and move fore and aft with the waves. That takes much of the impact off my back. I suggest my passenger do the same. If just cruising along then my 20" seats are plenty comfortable to lean back into.

I sat in my seats last night and really thought about it. If its simply the top 3-4" that is the difference, it probably doesn't matter all that much. If we were talk about having a head rest then...

yeller
11-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Pat, I didn't respond sooner because I didn't know what height my seats were, and I kept forgetting to measure them. I missed the part where you stated that the last 15yrs are 20".

I don't think you'll miss the top 4". It's the lower to mid back that needs the support and the 20" seats provide that.

Visually though, it'll probably take you some time to get use to the shorter seats and they'll probably look a bit odd to you for the first while.

Pat McPherson
11-08-2016, 11:48 AM

The swivels / mounts are shot - I ordered new last night.
The wood is moldy but not rotten - If I plan to reuse, I'll clean and paint.
There are no rips or tears so I'm going to give a good cleaning and decide if I just go with them for another year and spend my $ on steering instead...

Carl C
11-08-2016, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=Pat McPherson;666
The wood is moldy but not rotten [/QUOTE]

Mine have no wood!

Pat McPherson
11-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Mine have no wood!

Your boat is also free of wood construction too, right?

yeller
11-08-2016, 02:11 PM
My 04 also has poly seats. Not sure when they changed over.

Carl C
11-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Your boat is also free of wood construction too, right?

It appears to be except the deck and cockpit are balsa cored. Hull is solid. Transom is a composite and stringers appear to be also.

yeller
11-10-2016, 11:49 AM
As an fyi: Carl's is an 05 and mine is an 04. My build is the same as Carl's, with the exception of the stringers. I have plywood stringers.

Pat McPherson
11-11-2016, 08:56 AM
So last night my best boating bud and I stared at and sat in my original seats.
I cleaned the seat up the best I could and asked for his opinion. I've not ever had the interior of a boat or car redone but he has. Conclusion was that the best choice would be to have new 24" high buckets made but that is not really a choice as the cost is prohibitive.
Comes down to replacing with the new standard 20" high buckets or just using what I've got.
The original seats show a little wear and but no rips so...
Leaning towards buying the new buckets seats this year and buying the new rear seat pieces next year.

chip w
11-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Pat, I found someone local that is recovering my front seats and making new rear cushions for half of what PPI is and 1/3 of Donzi Direct. They are using a high grade marine vinyl and are sewing the pleats the same as the original. He is also replacing the 20 year old wood bases. I've seen his work and I trust that it will come out well. There may be someone locally that can recover your seats. It's an option to buying new that are a different height.

22classic
11-11-2016, 11:42 AM
I just had these done by ABC upholstery in San Jose. She did all of the interior for me so I don't know what these two cost me directly, but all of the interior was less than 2000.

I think that the seats look great.

Best,
Matt P.

22classic
11-11-2016, 12:06 PM
I forgot to mention that I was also given a 2 year warranty.

Best,
Matt P.

Pat McPherson
11-14-2016, 08:32 AM
I scrubbed and treated with vinyl protectant all of my interior over the weekend. I've decided it's good to go for another year at least. I also received new swivels/mounts for the front buckets; those were shot...

Fishermanjm
11-15-2016, 10:37 AM
I couldn't be more pleased with my seats. It took a while to get them but well worth it

deejay
01-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Pat, I found someone local that is recovering my front seats and making new rear cushions for half of what PPI is and 1/3 of Donzi Direct. They are using a high grade marine vinyl and are sewing the pleats the same as the original. He is also replacing the 20 year old wood bases. I've seen his work and I trust that it will come out well. There may be someone locally that can recover your seats. It's an option to buying new that are a different height.

Hi Chip,
Would you mind indicating the area you live in. I somehow feel you are in Central Florida which is where I am. If we are somewhat close to each other I sure would be interested in talking with your seat person.
A question about your dog: Is that a picture of a Blue Weimaraner? We just lost ours of 14 years.
Thanks, Deejay

chip w
01-25-2017, 08:46 AM
Deejay,

I'm over in Tampa. The shop is in New Port Richey and is Tampa Bay Canvas and Upholstery. Call Kevin at 813-507-3039. I haven't done mine yet as a little issue with a bad head has taken my in a different direction for the time being.

The black dog is a pure black dachshund. We get asked what kind of dog he is and I usually tell people he's a miniature lab just for fun. He's a bit strong willed and stubborn. That's the polite way to say he can be an A-hole but he's a great dog to have around overall. I'd love it if he'd go on the boat with me but it's not his thing. Really sorry to hear about your dog.:frown: For us they're family members and loosing one always hurts. My sympathies.

gcarter
01-25-2017, 09:06 AM
The wood is so easy to change, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
Plywood is so much cheaper and easier to use than a lot of dense plastics,
like HDPE (Starboard). I don't think I'd recommend PVC board. It's easier
to use but doesn't have the same structural strength as HDPE, and won't
hold screws as well.
If you use plywood, be sure and seal the perimeter w/a penetrating epoxy,
like System Three Clearcoat.
Another thing, when re-stapling the upholstery material to the reinforcement
material, use Monel and not stainless staples as the stainless staples will
eventually rust and Monel won't. Monel staples are available on Amazon.

deejay
01-26-2017, 10:12 PM
Deejay,

I'm over in Tampa. The shop is in New Port Richey and is Tampa Bay Canvas and Upholstery. Call Kevin at 813-507-3039. I haven't done mine yet as a little issue with a bad head has taken my in a different direction for the time being.

The black dog is a pure black dachshund. We get asked what kind of dog he is and I usually tell people he's a miniature lab just for fun. He's a bit strong willed and stubborn. That's the polite way to say he can be an A-hole but he's a great dog to have around overall. I'd love it if he'd go on the boat with me but it's not his thing. Really sorry to hear about your dog.:frown: For us they're family members and loosing one always hurts. My sympathies.

Thanks Chip for the response and info. I will let you know how this upholstery adventure works out and I hope you will do the same. I also hope the bad head is not your own head! What a surprise to hear your dog is dachshund and all black no less! I was sure he was a blue W. You sure are correct about them being family.
Deejay