PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Season Results are in

Bobby D
10-21-2016, 12:50 PM
This week I winterized my boat and put it away for the winter. I tracked my usage and would like to how the numbers compare to others on the board that average about 6 months of use. Admittedly due poor weather conditions this spring in Pennsylvania, work demands here at the steam machine, family priorities and other commitments I did not get out as much as I would have liked.

The results are as follows:
1) The season stared with the first ride on 4/16/16 and ended with the last ride on 10/15/16.
2) Logged 27 trips in and out the same day, rest of the time my boat is on the trailer inside the old boat house.
3) Logged a total of 128 gallons of 98 octane non-ethanol gas and have about 25 gallons remaining in the tank that I stabilized for winter storage. Therefore I used around 103 gallons of fuel this summer.
4) I put a total of 33 hours of run time on the hour meter.
5) Fuel consumption averaged out to be 3.121 gallons an hour. I often run between 3000 – 3500 rpm and with my set up I cruse 50 mph @ 3500 rpm.

This off season the plan is to keep myself busy working on the GOAT

Carl C
10-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Well I didn't record my hours but I burned thousands of dollars in gas. Got out 37 times. First was 4-16 and last was 10-17. Best boating summer ever and I didn't break anything!

CHACHI
10-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Can't come close to either of those but on one trip I did manage to log 190 miles.

Ken

Conquistador_del_mar
10-21-2016, 11:43 PM
Dang! You guys keep log books on your boating trips?

Carl C
10-22-2016, 06:04 AM
Dang! You guys keep log books on your boating trips?

Yep!

Capevettes
10-22-2016, 06:07 AM
My 2000 18 Classic went out on the boat lift in early May with 407 hours and was pulled last week with 461 hours. Logged 54 hours. I take it out most mornings and wake everyone up around the lake. Just gave it a good polishing, changed the oil and all the other fluids. All that's left to do is drain the block, fill with anti freeze and pull the battery.

Greg Guimond
10-22-2016, 07:47 AM
I put 190 hours on my hour meter this year with the longest day trip 160 miles in the 16. First time out was in late February this year and the last was Labor Day weekend. That weekend The Mule decided to kick back and take the Fall off. Hamsters are now down in Florida at the Doctors.

Just Say N20
10-22-2016, 12:08 PM
I put 190 hours on my hour meter this year with the longest day trip 160 miles in the 16. First time out was in late February this year and the last was Labor Day weekend. That weekend The Mule decided to kick back and take the Fall off. Hamsters are now down in Florida at the Doctors.

AsThat is a pretty severe "kick back" Greg!

Rebuild, or replace?

CHACHI
10-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Greg, did you find the cause..Ignition?

Ken

Greg Guimond
10-22-2016, 07:47 PM
I decided to have it rebuilt Bill. The options are getting really limited when it comes to the lighter weight wackers these days. That hamster was #5 and it needs a sleeve. All will have to be .015 over.

Ken, it was either ignition or a stuck injector. The Florida boys will tell me in a few weeks. There are only (4) long blocks left at Merc Racing then they go NLA. Tempting to get one but decided to rebuild. End of an era.

Greg Guimond
10-22-2016, 08:15 PM
This week I winterized my boat and put it away for the winter. I tracked my usage and would like to how the numbers compare to others on the board that average about 6 months of use. Admittedly due poor weather conditions this spring in Pennsylvania, work demands here at the steam machine, family priorities and other commitments I did not get out as much as I would have liked.

The results are as follows:
1) The season stared with the first ride on 4/16/16 and ended with the last ride on 10/15/16.
2) Logged 27 trips in and out the same day, rest of the time my boat is on the trailer inside the old boat house.
3) Logged a total of 128 gallons of 98 octane non-ethanol gas and have about 25 gallons remaining in the tank that I stabilized for winter storage. Therefore I used around 103 gallons of fuel this summer.
4) I put a total of 33 hours of run time on the hour meter.
5) Fuel consumption averaged out to be 3.121 gallons an hour. I often run between 3000 – 3500 rpm and with my set up I cruse 50 mph @ 3500 rpm.

That is a nice long season!

mike o
10-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Can't come close to either of those but on one trip I did manage to log 190 miles.

Ken

:kingme:

Greg Guimond
10-23-2016, 10:34 AM
I've always found that the best trips in our boats are when you start out early in the morning with no real destination and just keep going.........and going........and going. Nothing like it on a hot Summer day. I did it once on the 16 last season and ended up at the Thimble Islands. Cool Run.

Carl C
10-23-2016, 11:38 AM
I've always found that the best trips in our boats are when you start out early in the morning with no real destination and just keep going.........and going........and going. Nothing like it on a hot Summer day. I did it once on the 16 last season and ended up at the Thimble Islands. Cool Run.

When I head to the Great Lakes I rarely have a plan. We'll see what the weather and water conditions are and go from there. I usually put in on Lake St. Clair and from there can go to Lake Huron or Lake Erie or just stay on St. Clair or the rivers. Put-in-Bay is a favorite run and is 80 miles each way. I also make sure guests don't need to be back by a specific time. Don't want to watch the clock. I was holding out for an Indian summer but guess I will winterize the boat soon. Already changed the engine and drive oil. Now it's time to gather firewood and spend time at the cabin and hope for a mild winter. :)

Greg Guimond
11-14-2016, 05:38 PM
I decided to have it rebuilt Bill. The options are getting really limited when it comes to the lighter weight wackers these days. That hamster was #5 and it needs a sleeve. All will have to be .015 over.

Ken, it was either ignition or a stuck injector. The Florida boys will tell me in a few weeks. There are only (4) long blocks left at Merc Racing then they go NLA. Tempting to get one but decided to rebuild. End of an era.

Since The Mule blew it's powerhead up on Labor Day I have been waiting for the shop in Florida to give me the feedback after I sent the engine down. They got back to me last week and said they would bore 5 holes but the 6th needed to be resleeved as that hamster really made a mess of things. Motor stuck an injector at WOT so I am lucky the block was not destroyed. Ethanol is destroying the hi-po stuff. It's in the line-up now and moving through the process of a full rebuild. They have a complete dyno chamber set up so I'll be able to get some numbers off it as well. No Christmas rides for the 16 this year!

yeller
11-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Ouch! That's a nasty looking piston. :shocking: