PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive (Bravo 1) Gear Lube Change - Difficult

TBroccoli
10-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Does anyone know an easy way to change the gear lube on a bravo 1 outdrive?

I always struggle getting as much fresh lube into the drive as the amount of old that came out. Plus, is there an easy way to get the bottom plug back in without having so much lube rush out?

I always end up filling the reservoir too high and wait for it to feed into the drive.

Carl C
10-17-2016, 12:13 PM
There is a thread on OSO about making a pump from a one gallon garden sprayer; Just substitute the spay nozzle end with the hose from a cheapy hand pump. I'm just going to use my cheapy hand pump again this year since it's only a once a year job. I pump the fluid in until it trickles out the top vent hole and then install top plug and keep pumping until it starts to enter reservoir. As far as putting in the bottom plug you just have to move fast! I'm heading out to the lake today and changing the gear oil when I get home and it's warm. BTW I use the Quicksilver high performance 90w gear lube. Hopefully no chunks come out. Been out 36 times so far this summer and broke nothing! Knock on wood.

Morgan's Cloud
10-17-2016, 12:21 PM
When we recently did the oil change on my B3 the mechanic didn't have his handy dandy shop pump with him so he used my el cheapo hand pump that screws onto the top of the new oil bottles. I hate them but he was perfectly happy to utilize it and it worked very well . (I'm not using the Merc green oil btw)
A little trick he did was to take the reservoir in the boat out of its mount and turn it upside down to help delay the onset of gravity fed oil rush .
Yes, it's all about being prepared and moving quickly . Have the drain plug and a new o-ring ready to go beside your foot and move fast !
There will always be that annoying dribble though .

TBroccoli
10-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I also use the little pump that screws onto the oil container. What happens to me though is that I don't get more than half a quart into the drive when the top vent begins to burp. Now I know more then that came out of the bottom port.

Morgan's Cloud
10-18-2016, 09:58 AM
How long are you letting the drive drain for ?
I'm usually in no hurry and generally leave it overnight to let everything find its way out .

Carl C
10-18-2016, 12:14 PM
I just changed mine yesterday. Fluid and magnets were clean. Yay! It took close to two quarts before it trickled out the top hole.

TBroccoli
10-18-2016, 01:26 PM
I let it drain for about an hour or more. I see that my reservoir is almost empty.

tmdog
10-18-2016, 03:23 PM
Drain mine overnight.