PDA

View Full Version : Heat exchanger in a classic 18

geage
10-15-2016, 05:56 PM
I'm thinking of doing a closed water cooling system in my 18 , Small block ford stroker , is there any prob cooling if I'm ripping for a while. I'm not familiar with them thanks

tmdog
10-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Rip all you want. Temp may creep 5*+ or not. I run a 180 stat for the past 10+ yrs. and never encountered any problem with cooling. I think a constant eng. temp makes for a more efficient eng.

geage
10-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Excellent thanks

CanadianEhTeam
10-16-2016, 02:37 PM
My temps stay entirely stable at higher rpm no matter the length of time. The only spike I see is when I'm running on plane and slow down off plane or to idle. The temp will spike 10-15F. I'm assuming because of the amount of heat dumped into the block and then the rapid reduction in raw water flow through the exchanger.

gcarter
10-16-2016, 05:48 PM
I had one in my Minx, and my 22 TR. I also used an electric circulating pump
which eliminates the off throttle temperature spikes.
I can give you lots more info if you're interested.

geage
10-17-2016, 09:26 AM
Great. Thanks. Im thinking of a 1/2 system. I currently have a electric raw water pump running Into a Holman moody y pipe and tstat housing , I was gonna grab something like a 4" by 20ish exchanger and plum it into the engine,and run a ford type pump and t stat housing on it ,and still have the electric pump on the raw side, I have hi tek headers so I don't think I can run a full system

Morgan's Cloud
10-17-2016, 09:39 AM
I'm surprised that no one has yet asked if it's a brand new engine , or whether it has a previous history being run in exclusively fresh water , brackish or salt .

Yes, if you have Hi-Teks you can only do a half system . I heard recently that HI-Tek are no longer in business . I hope that's not true as one day I'd like to get another set .This time for the St T's Volvo .

geage
10-17-2016, 11:50 AM
It's all new. I needed a new block so it's freshen up time ,I'm also switching to a 290 With power trim that i picked up

woobs
10-17-2016, 01:55 PM
I heard recently that HI-Tek are no longer in business.

Incorrect. I spoke with the owner, who would like to retire... so, the business is up for sale. They are currently very much still in business!

Morgan's Cloud
10-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Incorrect. I spoke with the owner, who would like to retire... so, the business is up for sale. They are currently very much still in business!

Thanks Sean , that's good news . I haven't spoken to Allen since I got our set for the 502 and was concerned about them going out of business .
It's such an excellent setup that he makes , I'd really want another set. Damn things aren't cheap though.