PDA

View Full Version : How long should my garage be?

chip w
10-11-2016, 01:09 PM
This winter I will be adding a garage to put my Classic in. This started out as a car port next to my garage for our 18 Classic and then we decided to just make it a closed garage. I'm limited on how deep it can be. That's a drawback of living on a postage stamp. While we have an 18 now we will be moving up to a 22. I'm not sure when but sooner or later it will happen. So, I need an idea of how long from the front of the trailer to the back of the prop. I want to make sure that I can get it in and close the door. I'd rather avoid that knot in my stomach when I tell my wife "sure it will fit" and then not be able to get the door closed.

Any help is appreciated!

Ghost
10-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Curious to hear real answers also, though I think it will differ based on each trailer. My guess is the typical trailer will yield about 28 feet overall, with the drive down. Such that 30' would be tight but do-able.

Also, some folks have folding trailers, which I think would save about 2-3 feet.

chip w
10-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Also, some folks have folding trailers, which I think would save about 2-3 feet.

That's my worst case, a folding trailer. I have somewhere around 30' outside dimension to work with. Inside will be somewhat smaller and the door has to be able to close. I'll wire it and build it for a window shaker AC system so that I can work in there during the FL summers. :) But if I can get it in without a folding trailer I would prefer that.

gcarter
10-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Approx 30' will do it. The section of my shop behind the offices is about 25'
and I can get it in at about a 25*-30* angle w/the drive extended and the
prop installed.
A folding tongue, lowering the drive, and/or removing the prop will save a lot of room.
You'll love having it inside.

SKnies
10-11-2016, 06:47 PM
I laid a tape down under the center of my boat from the trailer coupler to the prop with the drive all the way up...28'4". I have a Hustler trailer that does not fold.

Greg Guimond
10-11-2016, 07:00 PM
I have 25' of clear interior depth and my 16 just makes it. You will absolutely want a properly installed fold-away tongue no matter which way you go as it gives you shin saving options.

undertaker
10-12-2016, 08:32 AM
I have a 22 with a MYCO steel trailer. My garage is 30' deep and it fits with the drive down. It is tight though...

Undertaker....

Just Say N20
10-12-2016, 09:49 AM
I laid a tape down under the center of my boat from the trailer coupler to the prop with the drive all the way up...28'4". I have a Hustler trailer that does not fold.

Nice garage!

chip w
10-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info. In the end I'll have between 28 & 29', so it'll be close but it can be done. My 16 fit into the existing garage that is 22'. Like George, it was at a 25 to 30 degree angle. I won't have the room to do that in this garage so having the depth is key.

SKnies - nice garage! two boats and your truck? Awesome! :yes:

Carl C
10-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Another option. I built this real fast without pulling permits ...

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/garage%20nook%20rear_zpsan2rgcsa.jpg (http://s763.photobucket.com/user/CARLC222/media/garage%20nook%20rear_zpsan2rgcsa.jpg.html)
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/garage%20nook%203_zpsjxcl0st5.jpg (http://s763.photobucket.com/user/CARLC222/media/garage%20nook%203_zpsjxcl0st5.jpg.html)

Pat McPherson
10-12-2016, 11:47 AM
85272We could only fit 26' within the budget when we built our garage. Even angling I've got no shot at fitting my boat in while on the trailer.
I think you'll need 30' for a 22' Donzi to fit without pulling the drive and or having a folding trailer.
My plan is to build a 26' x 12' lean to off one side for the boat. Start clearing trees on Friday...:)

chip w
10-12-2016, 02:57 PM
85272We could only fit 26' within the budget when we built our garage. Even angling I've got no shot at fitting my boat in while on the trailer.
I think you'll need 30' for a 22' Donzi to fit without pulling the drive and or having a folding trailer.
My plan is to build a 26' x 12' lean to off one side for the boat. Start clearing trees on Friday...:)

I have an 18 that would fit in your garage. Same colors and year as your 22. Not sure that it's as nice as yours but it runs like a wrist watch.

chip w
10-12-2016, 04:07 PM
Another option. I built this real fast without pulling permits ...

Carl, I like what you did. I think my wife would be pissed off if I do that as it will go right into her paino room. Probably not a good move. I could go another foot towards the front but that will make it stick out beyond the existing building. If the architect suggests that it may fly as he's a friend of my wife and well respected. If I suggest it I'll get one of those looks that could kill a frog from 50 feet. :bonk:

I've got to measure it again tonight and see where I'm at.

Carl C
10-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Carl, I like what you did. I think my wife would be pissed off if I do that as it will go right into her paino room. Probably not a good move. I could go another foot towards the front but that will make it stick out beyond the existing building. If the architect suggests that it may fly as he's a friend of my wife and well respected. If I suggest it I'll get one of those looks that could kill a frog from 50 feet. :bonk:

I've got to measure it again tonight and see where I'm at.

The boat's more important than her piano ... ;)

gcarter
10-12-2016, 06:47 PM
The boat's more important than her piano ... ;)

ERNNNT! Wrong answer! LOL

deejay
10-12-2016, 10:03 PM
This winter I will be adding a garage to put my Classic in. This started out as a car port next to my garage for our 18 Classic and then we decided to just make it a closed garage. I'm limited on how deep it can be. That's a drawback of living on a postage stamp. While we have an 18 now we will be moving up to a 22. I'm not sure when but sooner or later it will happen. So, I need an idea of how long from the front of the trailer to the back of the prop. I want to make sure that I can get it in and close the door. I'd rather avoid that knot in my stomach when I tell my wife "sure it will fit" and then not be able to get the door closed.

Any help is appreciated!

Before we moved to a house on the water with a lift we kept our 22C on a Magictilt twin axil trailer in our 30ft garage. We had 3 inches clearance with the drive down and parking straight in. My wife was the one to tell me to stop just before hitting the rear wall. She was on edge every time and we did it often. The challenge would be way reduced if you could adjust the trailer position after the car is detached so that you would not have to back all the way into the garage. As you can imagine, you have to be darn sure the boat is ALL THE WAY ON the trailer before you leave the ramp. Don’t forget to block the trailer wheels before detaching the car.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-13-2016, 02:02 AM
I have a boat storage facility with 88 12'x30' stalls for boats so I have seen many types and lengths of boats and trailers over a 20 year period. A 22' boat has always easily fit into a 30' boat stall with a 25' fitting one time. The main thing to watch is the length of the tongue of the trailer in front of the bow. Some are relatively short when others are needlessly long (although a long tongue trailer makes launching easier).

woobs
10-13-2016, 06:48 AM
... My wife was the one to tell me to stop just before hitting the rear wall. She was on edge every time and we did it often.

I just hang a tennis ball on a string from the rafters (you can use any fixed point i.e. garage door, when up etc....) at the back window of the truck cab (or, the top of your tailgate) when the boat is parked in place. Next time backing in, have the ball touch the window (or the tailgate)..... and stop.

As far as size if I were building; 1) how big can you get a permit for? 2) how big can you afford? MAX one, the other or, both ?

chip w
10-13-2016, 08:18 AM
I took another measurment last night and the interior length, if matched even to the front of the existing structure is 27'6". I minght be able to get the architect to give me another foot if we can make it look "right".

Carl, I like the way you think but my wife is an interior designer and has a master's in psychology. I lose every time. Better to keep harmony and then I can get whatever I want. I think she'd rather go for a ZX but she knows this is what makes me happy soooo... She's a good woman. She's put up with boats, bikes and cars that just "show up" in the driveway for 30 years. Gotta keep a woman like that happy. She's a keeper.

Greg Guimond
10-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Not sure where you are located. Are you trying to solve for "off season" storage or day to day use of the 22?

chip w
10-13-2016, 10:06 AM
I'm in Tampa, FL. Mostly I want it out of the hot sun in the summer. Even with a full cover on the boat the amount of heat that builds up under the cover can't be great for anything. Also the humidity and the security of having it locked inside. For now my 18 will fit in the garage that we are going to build but I'm thinking of the future as well. I'll add AC so that I can work in the summer, otherwise it's too hot in the garage. There will be a door into my existing garage so that tools, etc. are all easy to get to.

We live in a great older neighborhood. There's a ski lake about a mile long, fresh water. And I'm only about 15 to 20 minutes to put into Tampa Bay. The drawback to our neighborhood is the lots are small, which limits what can be added on. If I get rid of the 911 I can push the back wall of the existing garage back 11', giving me a 33' deep garage. But that's a hard ride to part with. Life is compromises. I just don't like making them when it comes to my toys. :)

Carl C
10-13-2016, 02:21 PM
I took another measurment last night and the interior length, if matched even to the front of the existing structure is 27'6". I minght be able to get the architect to give me another foot if we can make it look "right".

Carl, I like the way you think but my wife is an interior designer and has a master's in psychology. I lose every time. Better to keep harmony and then I can get whatever I want. I think she'd rather go for a ZX but she knows this is what makes me happy soooo... She's a good woman. She's put up with boats, bikes and cars that just "show up" in the driveway for 30 years. Gotta keep a woman like that happy. She's a keeper.

Yeah. I'm just kidding. If the back of your garage is not open then my solution is out. I bought my boat new and it's always kept indoors. I don't even cover it in winter. I see a folding trailer tongue in your future ...

yeller
10-14-2016, 12:23 PM
:thumbsup: Same here.

I took another measurment last night and the interior length, if matched even to the front of the existing structure is 27'6".You might be a couple inches longer or shorter than 28'4" depending on the trailer, but definitely not going to make it with 27'6". If you can't get the extra foot and don't like the thought of a folding tongue, depending on the trailer, you may be able to shorten the tongue a bit and install another square pipe inside the existing. Then you could extend and retract the tongue as needed. I did this on my old trailer for my 16.

............or

:biggrin.:

Bobby D
10-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Would love to have a 5 car garage however with downsizing in my future I made the 18’ 2+3 fits in my 22’garage like this.

Greg Guimond
10-14-2016, 01:47 PM
It looks like you have all the stats you need now to build the new garage. In line with what Bobby is showing, I'd focus on how to get the trailer as short as possible. Some of the trailers I have seen come out of Lake Havasu and the West Coast in general are really well thought out. Not only fold-away tongues but small cut-ins for the drive and some other neat items. If you have enough ceiling height in the garage you are going to build you could also investigate a lift for the 911 to get it up and away. My neighbor does it with his R8 and amazing the space that will free up.

chip w
10-17-2016, 09:23 AM
I had another thought over the weekend. Instead of building a separate garage for the boat I could extend my two stall garage back another 11'. That would make it a 33' deep garage. I need to measure the length of my wife's car and the 911. I might be able to park one behind the other, have room for the boat and a bench too. I don't think we'll break ground until after the holidays so I have some time to figure this out.

I've seen the idea of putting a smaller square tube inside the tongue and then removing it. The guy who did that seemed to be happy with the way it worked and it was easy enough to take apart when he put the boat away. So some form of a swing away or removable tongue is a pretty good option.

gcarter
10-17-2016, 10:00 AM
I think the tube in a tube idea is a pretty good idea.....
but I think you'd have to run all the wiring and hoses external to make it practical,
but maybe I'm thinking too much.
The swing away seems to be so easy to utilize and operate. If I had done one
it'd be great in my shop.

chip w
10-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Jen saysshe likes the idea to knock the back wall out and make the existing garage deeper. That will give me 33'. :) Plenty of room for a 22 without having to fold the tongue or something similar. Now to get the plans done and get started.

gcarter
10-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Way to go!

Tidbart
10-18-2016, 04:52 PM
32' min for easy storage. 33 will do nicely and you get by the back of the boat.85301

I already went through the garage thing for a 22. Good luck.

Tidbart
10-18-2016, 05:09 PM
And these work perfectly. same spot every time. got a similar one after bumping the wall with the prop

chip w
10-19-2016, 09:54 AM
That's a really nice garage. I like the blue stripe to match the boat. I may copy you as my 18 is the same color scheme as your 22.