PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 16 outboard

Paul Roy
10-05-2016, 05:55 PM
I have acquired a 1972 16 outboard, anybody know how it will perform with a 2016 90 HP Merc and what propeller pitch is best.

Ed Donnelly
10-05-2016, 06:45 PM
I have acquired a 1972 16 outboard, anybody know how it will perform with a 2016 90 HP Merc and what propeller pitch is best.

Buizilla will know as he had a very nice 16 outboard...Ed

woobs
10-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Buizilla will know as he had a very nice 16 outboard...Ed

Greg is the "wacker in the backer" go to guy.... :)

Paul Roy
10-06-2016, 08:27 PM
I would like to hear from anybody with an outboard Donzi, preferably with less than 150 hp. Also my vessel is missing the classic handrail, any available?

CanadianEhTeam
10-07-2016, 07:48 AM
You bought the restored '72 OB listed here and on kijiji? http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?71345-16-Outboard-for-Sale-Motor-Not-Included
Congrats!

I apologize for not being able to add anything particularly constructive but what are your expectations of the boat? Are you hoping to achieve any particular speed? Just based on similar 90hp arrangements I've seen with faster hulls I'd imagine you may be disappointed with the performance with a 90. Hopefully someone can chime in with actual experience.

Regarding the cockpit wrap around rail, I don't see it listed through donzidirect but perhaps you can contact them directly and ask. If the boat remains in Canada though shipping costs might be prohibitive.

Greg Guimond
10-09-2016, 08:29 AM
I would like to hear from anybody with an outboard Donzi, preferably with less than 150 hp.

What exact model motor do you have on the back of your 16 Baby?

If you PM me, I will put you in touch with a guy who has a 115 on the back of his. All that said, you would be much better off selling the 90 and getting a used small block OB to replace it. These boats weigh a ton to push around with only a 90hp wacker on the backer.

Carbo
10-09-2016, 07:44 PM
I would like to hear from anybody with an outboard Donzi, preferably with less than 150 hp. Also my vessel is missing the classic handrail, any available?

I replaced my rail in my resto. Purchased the fittings and had a SST tube bent....with out one to pattern from it would not be as easy.

As for speed ...with my 150 TRP I can easily hit 70-75mph. But that is on the trailer getting to the water. Then it runs upper 50's in the water. Over 50 it can get interesting real quick. Boat never fails to put a smile on my face or draw attention everywhere it goes.

Paul Roy
10-12-2016, 04:12 PM
OK, thanks for the comments. I am not looking to set any speed records with this boat. I spend all my boating time on Georgian Bay. Top speed of 40 MPH will be adequate. So far this year my regular boat got about 120 hours on it, so good mileage is necessary. Gas on the water in Canada is not cheap. I hoping the boat will go about 8 miles on an imp. gallon.

Paul Roy
10-13-2016, 05:24 PM
You bought the restored '72 OB listed here and on kijiji? http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?71345-16-Outboard-for-Sale-Motor-Not-Included
Congrats!

I apologize for not being able to add anything particularly constructive but what are your expectations of the boat? Are you hoping to achieve any particular speed? Just based on similar 90hp arrangements I've seen with faster hulls I'd imagine you may be disappointed with the performance with a 90. Hopefully someone can chime in with actual experience.

Regarding the cockpit wrap around rail, I don't see it listed through donzidirect but perhaps you can contact them directly and ask. If the boat remains in Canada though shipping costs might be prohibitive.

yes, that's the boat I bought. Very good condition, not perfect but very good.

CanadianEhTeam
10-17-2016, 09:24 AM
OK, thanks for the comments. I am not looking to set any speed records with this boat. I spend all my boating time on Georgian Bay. Top speed of 40 MPH will be adequate. So far this year my regular boat got about 120 hours on it, so good mileage is necessary. Gas on the water in Canada is not cheap. I hoping the boat will go about 8 miles on an imp. gallon.

You managed to accumulate 120 hours during our short season? Congratulations! I pm'd you but didn't get a response. I'm on Georgian Bay as well.

If you think a 90 will move it 40mph then you should be able to hit your target fuel economy, perhaps even a bit better. I'd worry that it will struggle to get on plane and generally perform poorly but again I have no direct experience. Might also make resale difficult if you intend to only keep it for a few years.

Paul Roy
10-17-2016, 07:40 PM
Thanks for your response. The boat is equipped with large trim tabs so out of the hole should be OK. As for resale ...probably not in my lifetime. Currently waiting for the re power to be completed. The dealer is preparing a smart craft gauge package and appropriate wiring. Testing might start next weekend.

mermademarine
10-31-2016, 05:52 PM
I restored a 72 for my daughter that I put a 90 Yamaha 4 stroke on. It runs like a dream. I had 43 mph with one person and it would begin to "chine walk" I had the prop shop put a lot of cup into the propeller and then had about 38 mph top end. When she has 4 people onboard or is pulling a wake board she reports that is as fast as she needs to go. hope that helps

Paul Roy
11-19-2016, 01:25 PM
The motor installation is now complete. First attempt with motor height set with ventilation plate approx. 3 inches above keel when both are parallel. This was too high. I have a 13 x 19 mercury alum prop ( nothing special ). The boat would only operate at high trim angles at high speed anything less it was not happy. the max rpm achieved was 5600. The speed function was not indicating as the marina connected the old paddle wheel to the mercmonitor and the speed was incorrect. On the second run the motor height was set to approx. 1 inch above the keel ( dropped two bolt holes ) and seem to operate properly. This time into the wind with slight chop the RPM was 5330 at 41.1 MPH. These numbers are from the mercmonitor not calibrated ( set to factory default ).

Paul Roy
11-19-2016, 04:18 PM
Attached photos show the boat and motor height before and after.

woobs
11-19-2016, 09:52 PM
That's a great looking 16!