PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Ski Sporter project

Air Dog
09-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Hello Donzi Dudes,

So I could use some advice.

I bought a 1967 Ski Sporter hull a few years ago.

I just found a good running donor boat that has a mid 1990's Mercury 350 MPI with an Alpha drive.

Here is my question?

Is this too much engine for my little project boat?

What kind of performance can I expect?

What will it be worth when it's done?

I am planing on cutting out the L shaped bench and dropping the floor so I can make it a 2 bucket set up that sits a little lower.

The engine hatch is missing so I was thinking I would cut the hatch bigger for the V8 since I have to make a new one anyway.

The boat is all original and just needs paint and a new transom since it had a volvo drive.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ed Donnelly
09-21-2016, 07:49 PM
Hello Donzi Dudes,

So I could use some advice.

I bought a 1967 Ski Sporter hull a few years ago.

I just found a good running donor boat that has a mid 1990's Mercury 350 MPI with an Alpha drive.

Here is my question?

Is this too much engine for my little project boat?

What kind of performance can I expect?

What will it be worth when it's done?

I am planing on cutting out the L shaped bench and dropping the floor so I can make it a 2 bucket set up that sits a little lower.

The engine hatch is missing so I was thinking I would cut the hatch bigger for the V8 since I have to make a new one anyway.

The boat is all original and just needs paint and a new transom since it had a volvo drive.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

I ran a twin turbo 350 in my 16 Over 1,000 h.p. And a touch over 100 m.p.h.
So you should be OK with your 350 ...Ed

woobs
09-21-2016, 11:18 PM
Sounds like a cool project!
Don't forget to throw some pictures up here... regularly :).

mattyboy
09-22-2016, 07:16 AM
if I remember correctly with a modern 350 merc setup in an early skisporter the bolt ons are very close to the back seat are you moving the helm to the RH side?

look up a project by sweet cheeks Parnell did what you are looking for came out as an awesome one of a kind

woobs
09-22-2016, 07:53 AM
...I'm planing on cutting out the L shaped bench and dropping the floor so I can make it a 2 bucket set up that sits a little lower.

I'm especially interested in how you are doing this project as I am currently doing similar to a Formula Jr. (but, I'm putting in a bench instead of buckets).

With the lounge seating... and seats no more!

mattyboy
09-22-2016, 08:33 AM
the end result

sweet cheekz

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?67344-1979-16-Donzi&highlight=