PDA

View Full Version : Gauge wiring question

Conquistador_del_mar
09-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know what gauges can have a single sending unit used to supply two of the same gauges? In other words, can one water temp sender be used to supply a correct reading on two of the same water temp gauges? How about the other gauges? TIA, Bill

gcarter
09-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Bill, I wonder if you could find some "duplex" gauges, that would show both engines at once?
I know I've seen them in the past, but I'm not sure where. I've also seen larger bauges (about the size of a large tach) that had four gauge faces in quadrants on the face.

Ghost
09-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Does anyone know what gauges can have a single sending unit used to supply two of the same gauges? In other words, can one water temp sender be used to supply a correct reading on two of the same water temp gauges? How about the other gauges? TIA, Bill

Don't know, but they have to make them for anything with dual-station setups, right? (Flybridge and a lower helm I mean.)

Greg K
09-11-2016, 04:35 PM
You'll need some dual station senders or some switches at each gauge, one SPST and one DPDT.

Greg K
09-11-2016, 04:38 PM
You'll need some dual station senders or some switches at each gauge, one SPST and one DPDT.
http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=7999299

Conquistador_del_mar
09-11-2016, 09:18 PM
Don't know, but they have to make them for anything with dual-station setups, right? (Flybridge and a lower helm I mean.)

Exactly what I was thinking, but I don't know if they use individual sending units per gauge or share them.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-11-2016, 09:23 PM
http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=7999299

Thanks for the reply. It is starting to sound like an individual sending unit per gauge is needed to read two at the same time. I figured someone who has wired a Criterion with dual gauges would know. I want to be able to have a passenger monitor a couple gauges along with the driver is why I am asking.

Greg K
09-11-2016, 10:10 PM
What you want is a single dual station sending unit for two gauges, not individuals per gauge. Whatever gauges you use, they can tell you what sending unit to get for them.

Thanks for the reply. It is starting to sound like an individual sending unit per gauge is needed to read two at the same time. I figured someone who has wired a Criterion with dual gauges would know. I want to be able to have a passenger monitor a couple gauges along with the driver is why I am asking.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-12-2016, 12:49 AM
What you want is a single dual station sending unit for two gauges, not individuals per gauge. Whatever gauges you use, they can tell you what sending unit to get for them.

Thanks for the tip on the dual station sending units (I didn't know they existed).

gcarter
09-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Man! Did I ever misunderstand your question! :confused:

Conquistador_del_mar
09-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Man! Did I ever misunderstand your question! :confused:

George, I knew you were headed in a different direction with your reply - no big deal.

tmdog
09-12-2016, 02:48 PM
George, I knew you were headed in a different direction with your reply - no big deal.

Even great ones stub their toe now and then.:yes: Me, had my foot in mouth a few times.:eek: