PDA

View Full Version : Classic 18 lift hook removal

sandslot
09-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Having a tough time on this one.....can't get close enough under deck to see how the lift hook is secured? Looks like a few bolts, but will the lift hook unscrew from the outside, or do I need to send in my 5 year old in to loosen it?? Thank you!

Ghost
09-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Reach in with phone cam?

I *think* it probably has a threaded rod running vertically down to a bulkhead/stringer-mounted bracket. I'd expect at minimum, you'd need to remove a nut and a second locking-nut from the threaded rod, below the bracket. And then the eye and rod will come out together. Or perhaps, remove the locking nut and then just unscrew the eye from the threaded rod, if you can avoid marring the deck. Or something similar.

sandslot
09-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Reach in with phone cam?

I *think* it probably has a threaded rod running vertically down to a bulkhead/stringer-mounted bracket. I'd expect at minimum, you'd need to remove a nut and a second locking-nut from the threaded rod, below the bracket. And then the eye and rod will come out together. Or perhaps, remove the locking nut and then just unscrew the eye from the threaded rod, if you can avoid marring the deck. Or something similar.

Thanks for the input. I tried to unscrew it above the deck and it wont budge (not sure if not able, or rusted). I can't seem to get up in there to diagnose and was hoping the answer was to torque harder on the hook to unscrew it.....

f_inscreenname
09-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Small kid with a pair of vice grips.

gcarter
09-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Small kid with a pair of vice grips.

Maybe more like a small person w/a long handled pipe wrench.
These suckers can be tight.

Bobby D
09-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Here is my setup, the boat is a 1972 18 2+3 that was restored / updated back in the late 90’s by the previous owner. As part of the overhaul he installed new lifting eyes.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Maybe more like a small person w/a long handled pipe wrench.
These suckers can be tight.

Yep, my 1971 18' was a bear to break the nuts loose after crawling up the front ski bin. A second person holding and turning the eye from the outside makes it easier.

tmdog
09-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Use plenty of penetrating oil. Someone with a pipe wrench inside hull to just hold nut then use a long pipe to turn eye. Pipe I use was a 4-5 foot handle from a hydraulic floor jack. Got a ton of leverage with that pipe. Also protect lift eye to avoid scarring.

Morgan's Cloud
09-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Use plenty of penetrating oil. Someone with a pipe wrench inside hull to just hold nut then use a long pipe to turn eye. Pipe I use was a 4-5 foot handle from a hydraulic floor jack. Got a ton of leverage with that pipe. Also protect lift eye to avoid scarring.

^^ This here ^^

Basically exactly what I had to do when I did my resto . At that point the boat was about 21-22 years old and a salt water boat .
The threaded rods were steel and the transom setup was a rusted mess . There was no way the nuts were going to come off . Lots of penetrating oil and a long piece of pipe through the lifting ring hole , jam the seized nuts in the boat and a ton of torque .
Luckily the lifting ring unscrewed from the threaded shaft and I later just unbolted the junk from the transom and used it as a pattern to fab all new stainless rod and brackets .

Surprisingly the front rod and nuts were almost completely re-usable but they got the complete makeover too .

Reassemble with lots of good marine grade grease in case you ever have to do it again .

sandslot
09-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback....sometimes its not clear how to do something until you hear the trials and tribulations of others. I did continue what appeared to be a "welded" lift hook to the point where I had to use a saws all to remove it.

In the end, I won't think I'll reinstall as I can't see anyone (me) picking the boat up by the stringer when I have a lift....and I'll have flush-mounted cleats

gcarter
09-13-2016, 04:59 PM
If you can get it apart in a vise, the lifting rings and and bezels are
sellable here on the site.

Carl C
09-13-2016, 05:29 PM
I also would never use the rings to lift my boat so I modified them and sealed them to the deck, both front and rear, with 4200. Now no water can get in around them and I removed some unneeded weight as a bonus. They are just cosmetic now. There also was a gallon of water in front of that little front bulkhead that got past the horn opening so I also sealed the horn.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/IMG_0131_zps7putkahg.jpg (http://s763.photobucket.com/user/CARLC222/media/IMG_0131_zps7putkahg.jpg.html)