PDA

View Full Version : Maybe solved mystery of my back seat failure

Carl C
09-01-2016, 06:40 PM
I have a friend renting an apartment above my garage. When I go away he feeds my dogs and takes care of my mail etc so I leave the big garage unlocked with the dog food and a box for mail. My boat is in there. Some things came out recently that he has lounged in the boat while I'm gone. Sat in it and played games and movies. Then he said he screwed his gf in the boat. Needless to say I was pretty pissed off and the garage will stay locked now. The replacement seat bottom that DonziDirect made for me is still like new. The back cushions still need to be covered. I know this sounds nuts. He does nutty things. Probably lounged in the boat when the seats were cold. Sorry I vented about going through two seat bottoms. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?70056-This-Donzi-Upholstery-Work-Is-Unacceptable!&highlight=

yeller
09-01-2016, 10:53 PM
Well unless his....uh..."happy moment" is acidic, I wouldn't think that had anything to do with it and vinyl can handle pretty extreme temps. That's what's on snowmobile seats.

Carl C
09-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Well unless his....uh..."happy moment" is acidic, I wouldn't think that had anything to do with it and vinyl can handle pretty extreme temps. That's what's on snowmobile seats.

Well if that's not it then it's still a big mystery. Front seats still original and very nice. I thought the vinyl could crack in the winter?

Morgan's Cloud
09-02-2016, 10:48 AM
I think that what he did was nasty and disrespectful and if he's capable of doing that , including just lounging in the boat and playing games when it's not the appropriate venue for such things , lord knows what else he could be doing around your property .

At any rate , I'd doubt that it was the cause of your problem anyway . If it was then there'd be millions of boats worldwide that would be having upholstery failures on a regular basis :biggrin.:

CHACHI
09-02-2016, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=

At any rate , I'd doubt that it was the cause of your problem anyway . If it was then there'd be millions of boats worldwide that would be having upholstery failures on a regular basis :biggrin.:[/QUOTE]

Not to mention recliners....

Ken

Carl C
09-02-2016, 11:20 AM
lol. Yeah, I was more thinking about using the seats in cold temps. Some people store them indoors. He's a good friend but has issues with adult ADHD. I gave him hell when all this came out. Very disrespectful indeed. It's still going to cost $1,600 to get the rear seat backs done.

gcarter
09-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Carl, check out some local upholstery shops. You may be surprised.

Morgan's Cloud
09-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Carl, check out some local upholstery shops. You may be surprised.

Completely agree George .

For a micro dot in the middle of nowhere we have 3-4 good upholstery shops out here , some with employees who have been in the marine industry or ex - sailmakers for years .

I have had some amazingly good work done , and seen some amazingly good work over the years that is of the highest custom caliber .
AND you can custom choose fabrics and foams that are often better than what the factory uses .

Carl C
09-02-2016, 02:57 PM
OK, will do. Can they do the yellow piping?

gcarter
09-02-2016, 07:07 PM
Carl, they usually make their own piping, and they have whole catalogs of materials.

duckhunter
09-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Might be time to try a UV light in the boat. It probably looks like a murder scene in there.

joseph m. hahnl
09-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Ice cold does crack vinyl. And sled seats need replacing often . I think the problem lies with the drain holes in the seat deck being to small and the seat gets wet.:lightning

Carl C
09-03-2016, 06:59 AM
All the seats get wet but only the entire back seat had catastrophic failure. The second replacement seat bottom that DD & PPI were kind enough to make after the warranty period is still fine. I still think it's something to do with my tenant. I only use 303 on the interior. Will check local upholstery shops this winter when they are probably slow.

joseph m. hahnl
09-03-2016, 07:31 AM
I have found my rear seat gets completely soaked . I have to take it out and let it drain out periodically . The main difference between the front seat bases is they have plywood netting which keeps them drier

Morgan's Cloud
09-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Might be time to try a UV light in the boat. It probably looks like a murder scene in there.

I'm sorry , I can't resist having a little fun a Carl's expense ...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqkG3CqPbQk

wwahl
09-03-2016, 10:39 PM
I'm sorry , I can't resist having a little fun a Carl's expense ...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqkG3CqPbQk
Absolutely classic!!!!!!!!!!!!

chip w
09-07-2016, 01:08 PM
My life may be a little dull, and I do need a new interior for my 18, but this has to be the most entertaining thread of the year! Carl, thanks for sharing the dirty little secrets of what goes on in your garage!!

gold-n-rod
09-09-2016, 09:25 AM
Is his girlfriend's name Shannon? :shocking: