PDA

View Full Version : 350 Mag engine wake up

Donzi Z22
08-28-2016, 07:53 PM
I now have about 60 hours on my Jasper 350 mag and want to wake it up with a cam and set of heads. Any suggestions. Also I thinking about reprogramming the ecu .

Pat McPherson
08-29-2016, 09:39 AM
If you have an EFI engine, I'd consult whom ever is going to reprogram it. Builders that reprogram / build EFI engines will have a proven package. Changing the cam and heads then trying to reprogram the ECU after to match after is vary difficult unless done on a dyno. With a carb engine, you have many more options...
A good high flow exhaust system is always a great place to start to wake up any engine...

Donzi Z22
08-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Do you know of someone I can contact about this ?

smokediver
08-29-2016, 09:37 PM
Before you make modifications , make sure your drive and steering can handle the upgrades .
The best bang for the buck would be a whipple as they can handle the ecm re-flash. Heads and cam may get you 50-60 horsepower whereas a whipple will get you around 75-125 horsepower . Of course there is a cost, and after it's all said and done, you very well might wish you had left it a stock reliable setup .Going with a stainless marine or other lighter weight exhaust set up and a lab finished prop will get you a few more mph and leave a lot of extra cash for gas !! Just my 2 cents

Pat McPherson
08-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Before you make modifications , make sure your drive and steering can handle the upgrades .
The best bang for the buck would be a whipple as they can handle the ecm re-flash. Heads and cam may get you 50-60 horsepower whereas a whipple will get you around 75-125 horsepower . Of course there is a cost, and after it's all said and done, you very well might wish you had left it a stock reliable setup .Going with a stainless marine or other lighter weight exhaust set up and a lab finished prop will get you a few more mph and leave a lot of extra cash for gas !! Just my 2 cents

Very good advise!
I'd also go with the exhaust and prop first. After years of modifying engines looking for that extra 5-7 miles per hour, I've learned stock power is best!

If you have a bravo drive then adding 100HP not an issue.

As for ECU programming, there is a guy in New Orleans that I used years ago. I think it's Mark at Precision marine or some thing like that. You can post in General Q&A on OSO and get 15 replies in a day

Donzi Z22
08-31-2016, 05:52 PM
Very good advise!
I'd also go with the exhaust and prop first. After years of modifying engines looking for that extra 5-7 miles per hour, I've learned stock power is best!

If you have a bravo drive then adding 100HP not an issue.

As for ECU programming, there is a guy in New Orleans that I used years ago. I think it's Mark at Precision marine or some thing like that. You can post in General Q&A on OSO and get 15 replies in a day

I have an alpha gen II for an outdrive. Maybe I need to sell my 67 Convertible mustang shelby clone...and get a Classic 22 to put next to my Z22BR.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt245/VetteRed1965/47_zpsvc3aojpk.jpg

Pat McPherson
09-02-2016, 12:00 PM
I have an alpha gen II for an outdrive. Maybe I need to sell my 67 Convertible mustang shelby clone...and get a Classic 22 to put next to my Z22BR.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt245/VetteRed1965/47_zpsvc3aojpk.jpg

If you want to go fast on the water, that's a great idea...