PDA

View Full Version : Heading Toronto - Miami- Toronto

woobs
08-22-2016, 02:38 PM
The trip is starting this week (Friday AM) and we'll be heading down I79 - I77 - I95 to go get the Formula Jr project.

My wife want to make this a "vacation" and so we are dragging our 16 y/o son along who would rather be on his PS4 video game.

I'm thinking a first stop just north of Charlotte NC.... Any suggestions?

Also, I'm in need ideas besides mini golf for when we get near Miami (Jupiter) that might interest my son. I'm sure we'll find a beach at some point but, I hope nobody call Greenpeace as I'll look like I need to be pulled back out to sea. So again, any suggestions/ideas?

Pretty sure we'll be northbound again Thursday Sept 1st.

chip w
08-22-2016, 03:01 PM
As you come through Daytona you can stop at the speedway and go through the museum. It's right off the interstate and worth the stop. You can also pick up I-4 West in Daytona and head to Orlando, the largest tourist trap in the world. If he's 16 he'll like Universal Studios theme parks and Epcot. There are also a lot of other things that 16 year old's like in the Disney area and it's less than an hour from I-95. South of Daytona is Cape Canaveral in the Coco Beach area. Go do the Kennedy Space Center Tour. If your son doesn't like it you will. Take Route 1 south from there and you'll find a bunch of places to stay with activities like kayaking or paddle boarding. There are about a million charter boats for fishing too.

Once you get to Miami head out to South Beach. There's enough going on there to keep any 16 old busy (drooling). Tons of shopping to keep your wife busy too.

There's a lot more. Do a quick search online and you'll find a lot. And if you feel like coming to Tampa let me know and we can splash the 18.

BUIZILLA
08-22-2016, 03:23 PM
pretty sure you need to hit I-26 between 77 and 95....

Ed Donnelly
08-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Now is the time to put faces to names
George is less than an hour from Orlando
Madpoodle and Buizilla are Miami boys
Several others on the way down too.
I could be on your route too. Maybe meet for a coffee just off the 400..Ed

gcarter
08-23-2016, 06:39 AM
Yep, if you go north on the Turnpike at Ft. Pierce (or earlier) it'll be very close to the Orlando attractions
as you pass through. Also, I'm near the north terminus of the Turnpike at Leesburg. From Leesburg, it's
just 70 miles to Daytona. Nice beach you can drive on and a tour of the Speedway.

CHACHI
08-23-2016, 07:18 AM
pretty sure you need to hit I-26 between 77 and 95....
+1

Ken

woobs
08-23-2016, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys,
Yes this is the general route (not meant to be an exact synopsis of our travels).

We have done the "Orlando mouse traps" and Universal when the kids were younger. Still hashing out if we want to see the updated "Harry Potter" area.... Certainly don't want to spend too much time in Orlando (if any). I LOVE the Kennedy Space Center and could easily spend a day there ... However, I'm alone in that sentiment and similarly, I have been forbidden to go anywhere near Daytona. After retirement from 20 years of my racing, my wife refuses to go to another track! How about a nice FLA style by the ocean/pool bar/recreation type place to relax?

Any good alligator farms? How about a public shooting range (the kind where they rent you the hardware)? ...Canadian boys need to learn about this GUN thing.... Any cool Museums? Has anyone been to the USS North Carolina (BB-55) in Wilmington, NC?

Looks like we are returning through the easterly route and passing through New Jersey.... possibly swinging by Cape May.

chip w
08-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Any good alligator farms? How about a public shooting range (the kind where they rent you the hardware)? ...Canadian boys need to learn about this GUN thing.... Any cool Museums? Has anyone been to the USS North Carolina (BB-55) in Wilmington, NC?

There's a Gator Farm in St. Augustine. You're passing right by there so it could be a stop. The plus is that St. Augustine is a great little town. Most wives love it. The fort there is the oldest building in North America and it's worth wandering through. There are some great little pubs in town and it's a very "non-Florida" kind of place as most of it pre-dates the advent of air-conditioning and all of the development that came after. It's another worth-while stop and if your wife likes shopping there's an outlet mall right by I-95.

fegettes
08-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Are you coming to the Jupiter area, or Miami? They are about 90 miles apart. I am about 15 miles north of Jupiter?

Steve

chip w
08-23-2016, 10:41 AM
There's a shooting range on just about every corner in FL and most of them rent guns and head phones. Have fun!

yeller
08-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Make sure you pick up a SunPass. There are a zillion toll roads in Florida.
The SunPass will save you $ and you won't have to stop at any pay booths.

https://www.sunpass.com/index

gcarter
08-23-2016, 12:47 PM
Here's a compromise for you!
The Don Garlets dragster museum is on I-75 just south of Ocala.
It's a one-of-a-kind museum w/many famous dragster from over
the decades, plus an excellent collection of pre, and post war Fords.
...and you go right by my place getting there......

woobs
08-23-2016, 03:41 PM
Beach - Check
Mini golf - Check
gator farm - Check
gun range - Check
antiques - Check
Sun Pass - Check
Pubs - Check
Drag car museum - I'd like to but, I'm getting a boat and would still like to stay married.

We are staying near Jupiter but, the Formula Jr. I'm picking up is in Miami.
Hey, any pre-season Dolphins action?

If we venture inland and away from the coast... George, you will definitely be on the agenda :)

USS North Carolina - ?

Can't decide whether to go up the coast through Cape May or stay on I 95 into DC and possibly do the Smithsonian at Dulles...

Cape May - ?
DC - ?

BUIZILLA
08-23-2016, 07:31 PM
Here's a compromise for you!
The Don Garlets dragster museum is on I-75 just south of Ocala.
It's a one-of-a-kind museum w/many famous dragster from over
the decades, plus an excellent collection of pre, and post war Fords.
...and you go right by my place getting there...... if you get to the Museum, at the outer walkway curb on the Walk of Fame section is 2 bricks with me and my brothers names on them..

Ghost
08-23-2016, 11:34 PM
If you decide to go this way, let me know. Can probably get you a view of Annapolis from the Cig if you like. :)

bertsboat
08-24-2016, 03:16 PM
Do yourself a favor and plan to stop in St Augustine. There is something here for everybody. A fort for the kids, shops for Mom and water for Father. And I will show you the Baby, the Hornets , the Fino and a few others. Exit 311 off I95 then three miles east. Oldest city in the USA and water everywhere. 4 hours to Miami from here and 1:45 to Orlando. My cell is 305-992-5388 if you decide. Bert

woobs
08-24-2016, 09:10 PM
Pretty sure we are stopping in St Augustine!

CHACHI
08-25-2016, 05:04 AM
St. Augustine is a great city, and if you can snag a ride in the 14....it is a no brainer to stop.

My 2 cents.

Ken