PDA

View Full Version : Screw Snap Replacement?

TXDONZI
08-20-2016, 08:55 PM
I am in the process of replacing the screw snaps on my boat what sealant should be used in the holes while screwing the new ones in?

Conquistador_del_mar
08-21-2016, 01:44 AM
Silicone has always worked fine for me.

f_inscreenname
08-21-2016, 11:05 AM
Just be careful when using a sealant on them. They will strip out the hole real easy.

Ghost
08-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Beyond sealant to Mark's point, I know some shops that actually drill and tap the fiberglass, rather than using a standard screw.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-21-2016, 01:27 PM
I have seen two different length screws on snaps with a slight difference in how much thread was on the screws. Since you will be replacing the snaps, you will probably not need to countersink the gelcoat but it is a good procedure any time self tapping screws are going into fiberglass to prevent the surface gelcoat from fracturing.

TXDONZI
08-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all the response. I am just replacing old with new but did chamfer all of the holes with the tip of a philips bit in my drill. I also bought 1/2" long screw to replace the 3/8" ones so I make sure they get a little more bite.

turbo2256
08-21-2016, 04:20 PM
Cant do it everywhere but where possible I use machinist screws and a nut. For sealant used the above water line version of the 5200 sealant think its 4200

SKnies
08-21-2016, 07:40 PM
I fight with the snaps around my cockpit when I put the cover on or take it off. Always have to push or pull from different directions and I even ripped the cover. I assumed it's because they're no longer round. Same thing holds true for the back seat cushions. Don't you need to replace the snaps on the cover and/or cushions also?

Ghost
08-21-2016, 08:17 PM
I fight with the snaps around my cockpit when I put the cover on or take it off. Always have to push or pull from different directions and I even ripped the cover. I assumed it's because they're no longer round. Same thing holds true for the back seat cushions. Don't you need to replace the snaps on the cover and/or cushions also?

Have you you vaselined the snaps? Night and day when done.

gcarter
08-21-2016, 09:11 PM
If you look at snaps on eBay, you'll find a two ended tool for removing covers etc.
It simply separates the snap parts and removes any stress from the cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Snapper-Stainless-Canvas-Snap-Tool-Works-Great-for-Boat-Covers-Enclosures-/131837120613?hash=item1eb21ad065:g:46oAAOSweXhXmkI M&vxp=mtr

tmdog
08-22-2016, 07:34 AM
Same snaps on seat cushions and cover for past 19 yrs. without issue. Never lubed snaps although 18C has been stored indoors for those 19 yrs.

SKnies
08-22-2016, 07:42 PM
If you look at snaps on eBay, you'll find a two ended tool for removing covers etc.
It simply separates the snap parts and removes any stress from the cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Snapper-Stainless-Canvas-Snap-Tool-Works-Great-for-Boat-Covers-Enclosures-/131837120613?hash=item1eb21ad065:g:46oAAOSweXhXmkI M&vxp=mtr

Thank you George! I'm going to get that tool. I've been boating all my life, but recently got my 1st Donzi...a '96 22 Classic. I learned about this site and have garnered tons of good information. Very cool!

Conquistador_del_mar
08-23-2016, 01:45 AM

I need to try this; it sounds like a great way to deal with snaps that don't want to go on or come off easily.

Morgan's Cloud
08-23-2016, 06:00 AM
I need to try this; it sounds like a great way to deal with snaps that don't want to go on or come off easily.

The environment out here is a killer on everything , snaps included. Nothing tries your patience like a few snaps on the cover that are virtually seized in place.

Your marine supply store might carry small tubes of snap and zipper lube . Failing that even spray lube/oil will work but vaseline is the old go to .

And it's true , the difference afterwards IS like night and day .

SKnies
08-23-2016, 11:30 AM

Thank you! I'll do that. Sure as heck beats replacing them if I don't need to.

TXDONZI
08-28-2016, 10:26 PM
FYI if anyone happens to be needing snap screws or some other marine type goody here is where I got them.

http://fasteners.fasnap.com/category/snap-fasteners---screw-studs