PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Front Roller Marring Paint

TBroccoli
08-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Recently I've noticed my front trailer roller making marks on my painted (awgrip) hull. They are not only marks but actual wear marks into the paint. Any Suggestions how to prevent this from happening?

I'm guessing most of the wear comes from the movement of the roller against the boat as it bounces down the road. Bounces is a bit of an exaggeration, but I do know there is movement. I recently placed a cloth between the roller and the boat. It made things worse. It was a Shamwow. Wow was that a mistake. It rubbed right through the paint. I'm pissed.

gcarter
08-15-2016, 04:06 PM
I had the same problem w/the minx, but nearly eliminated it
by making sure the bow eye was tied down (maybe the front
post would need to be adjusted).
Anyway, the bow needs to be rigid w/the trailer.
A better solution is to eliminate the bow roller and replace it
w/some small horizontal forward bunks.
I can post pictures if needed.

Ghost
08-15-2016, 05:45 PM
Recently I've noticed my front trailer roller making marks on my painted (awgrip) hull. They are not only marks but actual wear marks into the paint. Any Suggestions how to prevent this from happening?

I'm guessing most of the wear comes from the movement of the roller against the boat as it bounces down the road. Bounces is a bit of an exaggeration, but I do know there is movement. I recently placed a cloth between the roller and the boat. It made things worse. It was a Shamwow. Wow was that a mistake. It rubbed right through the paint. I'm pissed.

Been there too, it sucks. Just checking--is the roller turning freely? If not it's much worse.

roadtrip se
08-15-2016, 10:01 PM
No way to really solve for this completely.

We have been putting a wet, detail towel on the bowstop of our trailers at
de-launch for years. Problem solved for the most part.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-16-2016, 12:59 AM
I use a turnbuckle from the trailer arm up to the bow eye to eliminate any bow bounce along with the winch holding it forward. It seems to really help with the roller scratch marks.

Ghost
08-16-2016, 07:46 AM
So, here's a question on that. I assume any trailer is going to flex a little going down the road. And that with tie downs deployed on the bow eyes and stern eyes, it might seriously (and needlessly) stress the attachment of those eyes if the trailer flexes. Further, I know people who've towed all over and never used any tie down straps at the transom, without issue. Making me wonder how important they are.

So, is the right approach to put a single tie down below the bow eye, but skip the tie-downs at the transom? That, with the winch strap, would secure the hull in the vertical as well as horizontal, up front. But allow the stern to move up and down a bit if the trailer flexes? To avoid over-stressing the stern eye mounts? Or does trailer flex not matter?

On the bow roller versus pad front, I have to respectfully disagree with the v-pad recommendation, at least with my boat. I've had both. The v-pad was a disaster. There are times, both during loading and unloading, where the keel rides up or down at that point, with nontrivial weight. Mine HAS TO have a roller there or it'd be toast. I even added a stainless steel scuff plate. The v-pad could be great underway on the road, but more trouble to me than it's worth for loading/launching. I suppose, for folks with unlimited budgets and time, one could mount a v-pad on a jack, aft of the roller. Use the roller for load/launch, then jack the pad up as the better riding point during towing. ;)

FWIW

Carl C
08-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Here is the solution: http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthread.php/5561-Trailer-Bow-Rollers-Don-t-Roll

Ghost
08-16-2016, 09:27 AM
That's a solution to rollers that don't roll--critical during launch and retrieval. But I think his primary concern is when the boat is bouncing as the trailer rolls down the road.

Carl C
08-16-2016, 09:43 AM
That's a solution to rollers that don't roll--critical during launch and retrieval. But I think his primary concern is when the boat is bouncing as the trailer rolls down the road.

If set up properly it shouldn't bounce off the roller. My roller did not roll those last few inches as the bow comes forward and up a bit. That's what was scuffing my paint.

f_inscreenname
08-16-2016, 09:59 AM
I just put one of those carwash mitts over mine. Been on there for years and no scuff marks on the bow.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/f_inscreenname/A.jpg

TBroccoli
08-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I will try to post a pic of my situation shortly.

I think this season has been the most noticeable with bow bouncing while on the road. Mainly due to the repair work done over the offseason to the ramp I always use. It's angle into the water is much shallower then years past. Putting the boat on the trailer at low tide is a bear. There is an awful lot of cranking to get the boat into loaded position. Once boat is on trailer, I have to slowly pull up ramp, then I hit brakes hard in parking lot to get boat to settle into correct position (it moves up trailer several inches). I even get out and check relationship of trailer bow roller and boat bow at each red light along the way home. I can usually get a crank or two on the cable to snug it up to the roller.

Roller is free to roll. I did recently spray bunks with bunk eze. Hopefully that helps get the boat into the correct position in the first place.

Conquistador_del_mar - Can you post a pic of your turnbuckle set up?

Thanks,

CHACHI
08-16-2016, 11:33 AM
I use a turnbuckle from the trailer arm up to the bow eye to eliminate any bow bounce along with the winch holding it forward. It seems to really help with the roller scratch marks.

A ratchet strap would accomplish the same thing, no?

Ken

Conquistador_del_mar
08-16-2016, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I will try to post a pic of my situation shortly.

I think this season has been the most noticeable with bow bouncing while on the road.
Conquistador_del_mar - Can you post a pic of your turnbuckle set up?

Thanks,

I will try to take a picture tomorrow. Not being able to get your boat fully loaded to the bow stop roller is a big problem from my experience. No real suggestions here other than we load with me driving the boat forward as my wife cranks the winch until seated against the roller.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-17-2016, 01:36 AM
Here you go with the turnbuckle on my 23' Donzi center console boat trailer and another concept using a second winch like my 23' Eliminator trailer. I hope this helps. Bill

gcarter
08-17-2016, 05:57 PM
Personally, I believe the boat is much more rigid than a trailer and tying the boat
to the trailer isn't a concern. The combination of the boat and the trailer will move
very little.
Maybe aluminum trailers are a bit more flexible than a steel one. My experience of
loose boats on trailers will beat up the bottom of the boat and damage the gel.
BTW, I really like the stainless Boat Buckles mounted on the bunk ends and ties
down the transom.

f_inscreenname
08-17-2016, 11:16 PM
Personally, I believe the boat is much more rigid than a trailer and tying the boat
to the trailer isn't a concern. The combination of the boat and the trailer will move
very little.
Maybe aluminum trailers are a bit more flexible than a steel one. My experience of
loose boats on trailers will beat up the bottom of the boat and damage the gel.
BTW, I really like the stainless Boat Buckles mounted on the bunk ends and ties
down the transom.

Ya like G says, I've also found most of the smaller boat trailers are pretty flexible. I've watched them bounce empty going down the road but once under a boat, fitted properly its like a foot in a roller skate, no movement and solid as a rock. But it has to be tight at the eye and transom tie downs for it to be right.