PDA

View Full Version : New trailer suggestions for my Classic 18?

sandslot
08-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Looking for help....lots of trailers out there. My original Donzi trailer needs work and I can't decide if its better to keep the original or replace it with another....I just can't figure out what would work for it?? Help!

Ghost
08-15-2016, 12:28 PM
What's wrong with the current trailer?

gcarter
08-15-2016, 04:44 PM
Here's a link to my TR thread concerning my old trailer:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?50476-Now-I-m-getting-serious/page111

It goes on for several pages. I ended up replacing the Torsion axles because I ruined one
of the spindle races....and the spindles weren't replaceable. The new axles and all the other
stuff came to about $3500. But money well spent. Your 18 trailer would be less.
My recommendation would be to find a good used aluminum trailer.

JimG
08-16-2016, 10:00 AM
IMO, the needed trailer depends on how much it's towed. (And of course: salt or fresh).

Under my center console fishing boat, I have a very high quality aluminum tandem axle trailer with torsion axles. It's a $4k trailer, but it's used exclusively in salt and used a LOT!

I just purchased a single axle galvanized trailer for my Donzi. I immediately upgraded the tires to D+ rated, and bulletproofed it in every way I could (coated all fasteners/springs with bedliner material, added SS fasteners where applicable). I prefer a single axle trailer for my Donzi because I have to move it by hand a lot in my barn. I tow it only 4-5 times a year, and it's mostly used in fresh or brackish water. My last galvanized trailer, (my original Sea Hunt trailer), lasted 17 years, used exclusively in salt ( I wash it very carefully), so this once should last at least as long.