PDA

View Full Version : donzi blackhawk with a weiand super charger 502

jimsum
08-13-2016, 12:12 AM
Gents

Looking at a 95 blackhawk with a weiand super charger on a 502 mag. Can anyone give me some advice about this set up? Weiand super chargers good/bad?

Thanks

JimSum

VetteLT193
08-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Gents

Looking at a 95 blackhawk with a weiand super charger on a 502 mag. Can anyone give me some advice about this set up? Weiand super chargers good/bad?

Thanks

JimSum

Is it the old 525sc setup? With a 502 and stock merc boost I'd think it would be around 550hp. I assume they dumped the fuel injection and it has a carb? Hatch is cut? The old 525sc was reliable. I'd think the only issues are the potential hatch cut may make it less marketable in the long run. Also the efi programming made shifting the Blackhawk without stalling. It might have a high idle to deal with shifting which wouldn't be the best on the gears.

Is it a limited edition? There was one that I recall with this setup but the Blackhawk was swapped for a shorty bravo

jimsum
08-14-2016, 02:47 PM
Is it the old 525sc setup? With a 502 and stock merc boost I'd think it would be around 550hp. I assume they dumped the fuel injection and it has a carb? Hatch is cut? The old 525sc was reliable. I'd think the only issues are the potential hatch cut may make it less marketable in the long run. Also the efi programming made shifting the Blackhawk without stalling. It might have a high idle to deal with shifting which wouldn't be the best on the gears.

Is it a limited edition? There was one that I recall with this setup but the Blackhawk was swapped for a shorty bravo

Thanks much for the info and feed back.

It is the limited with a large air scope on the hatch.

Here is what I know about the boat from the owner. (Boat name: Rum Runner)

It is a 502 mag. With a weiand super charger which they also used in that time
Frame sorry to disappoint, the motor also has AFR. Aluminum performance heads, roller cam shaft upgrade, performance ignition, high flow oil pump and heavy duty oil cooler.
The super charger is set up with the standard pulley which will put out about 4# boost, I also have the overdrive pulley that will put out about 6# boost.

Power is a 502" mercruiser magnum motor which makes about 550 horse with a mercruiser sport master out drive, power steering , 27" pitch prop.

Thanks again this has been most helpful.

roadtrip se
08-14-2016, 05:31 PM
I know the boat.

Put the engine set-up aside for a moment, the BHLE was designed for the Blackhawk drive. I've driven this hull with a standard Bravo and the handling was abysmal.

I am also familiar with the Sportmaster. And the IMCO Shorty. Not the right drive for this boat.

The supercharger setup can be sorted out, but the lack of the right drive setup can not.

My two bits.

jimsum
08-15-2016, 03:18 PM
I know the boat.

Put the engine set-up aside for a moment, the BHLE was designed for the Blackhawk drive. I've driven this hull with a standard Bravo and the handling was abysmal.

I am also familiar with the Sportmaster. And the IMCO Shorty. Not the right drive for this boat.

The supercharger setup can be sorted out, but the lack of the right drive setup can not.

My two bits.

Thanks much; most helpful

ClintB
11-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Other than the blackhawk drive (which seems to be hard to find as well as the props) what would you recommend for this setup. Curius as I bought the fore mentioned boat a month ago (yup I read this thread first too).

I have only had her out three times (one with the previous owner before purchase) and did not notice anything horrible about the handling. I am defintly still getting used to her (in storage now for winter) and have not made any high speed runs so maybe they have still to show themselves.

Most of my prior experience was on a 24' 97 Outlaw and the big difference is how the Donzi seems to roll before it turns. I attributed this to the reductuon in width of the boat and hull design.

My fathers friend owned one in the late 1990's on Pewaukee lake in WI (Hells Bells) and the 95 Blackhawk edition has always been on my must own before I die list. She is absolutley gorgeous btw. I am a little torn between thinking like purist on the hood scoop, but am loving the sound of the motor. The previous owner stated it spent most of its time in his garage and from the looks of it he was right.

I had been searching for a 22 Classic at the time when my wife found this on Craigslist at the right price. God I love that woman.

Thanks for any imput you have, new guy to the forum here. :)

ClintB
11-26-2016, 09:55 AM

Sorry for the fade its my computer's wallpaper

tmdog
11-26-2016, 04:55 PM
Envious. Very beautiful boat.:) Good luck and stay safe.

bertsboat
11-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Sweet 22. CAREFULL what you polish that gold hardware with. It mag come off. Use something mild like the same thing you polish the hull with.

ClintB
11-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the advice! The gold has some wear but pretty decent shape overall.

Pismo
12-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Find a BH drive and bolt it on..

smokediver
12-03-2016, 05:11 AM
Good luck with the boat ! If you find a Blackhawk drive , you will also want to upgrade the 150 kplanes that came standard , to the 280 plates. They make a world of difference.

Greg Guimond
12-03-2016, 06:44 AM
I had been searching for a 22 Classic at the time when my wife found this on Craigslist at the right price. God I love that woman. Thanks for any imput you have, new guy to the forum here. :)

What state are you in? Don't see many new guys join these days. Welcome and good luck with it. :yes:

Ed Donnelly
12-03-2016, 03:43 PM
What state are you in? Don't see many new guys join these days. Welcome and good luck with it. :yes:

He is from Wisconsin...Ed

ClintB
12-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Wanted to say thanks to Roadtrip for replying to a message I sent him pertaining to my original question.

Pismo, if you have a extra blackhawk drive taking room up in your garage let me know! Honestly if anyone see's one for a reasonable price w/props shoot me a message. Speaking of that, what is a reasonable price? I looked and didnt see any, but I didn't do a exhaustive search (I am guessing they are not a normal ebay item :) ). I will check around this winter, but the moat likely scenario is I will be running it with what it has next summer.

I live in Green Bay and took her out a couple times on the river and one small foray into the bay so far.

Seems like a nice forum with knowledgable people. I hope to learn a lot, but you wont see me posting much since I dont think I have a lot to offer advice wise. Thanks for the warm welcome.

ClintB
12-03-2016, 05:56 PM
A couple more pics

scippy
12-03-2016, 06:14 PM
She looks absolutely beautiful!!!...........Good luck and enjoy!!

ClintB
12-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Ok I found a Blackhawk drive at a price I may be willing to pay (still have to find props though). I need some expert feedback here. From reading a bunch of internet posts it appears that the blackhawk outdrive was only offered on the 502efi as the efi allowed the motor to be idled slow enough around the dock and shifted(?). Some people mentioned breaking the drive if it is shifted while the motor idles to high.

If you just began reading here, the motor in my boat is a blown carburated 502 making (from what I am told and no reason to doubt) about 550hp. Am I able to run this outdrive without making modifications to the engine as it sits now without risking hurting a blackhawk drive? If someone can explain this a bit better I would very much appreciate it.

Pat McPherson
12-05-2016, 12:01 PM
There are lots of boat running Blackhawk drives with more power than the 415HP/502MPI.
My bett is that many of the gear and shaft upgrades that are done to standard B1 drives can and are done to the Blackhawk drive.
I know there was a fellow posting here that had a 22' Classic with high output 540cube running a Blackhawk.
Ever post on Off shore only? there is a drives area of that forum...

ClintB
12-05-2016, 01:08 PM
From what I have read the blackhawk drive is good for up to 600hp. I was looking for more info on the efi only stuff I read and dont fully underatand. If I understand it rifht the blackhawk needs a low rpm to shift amd be manageable around the dock and this is not as do-able with a carb engine. Just trying to get educated here, hoping someone can clarify. You can't believe everything on the interweb.

I have been reading everything I can find, including offshore only, but never posted there.

Pat McPherson
12-05-2016, 02:14 PM
The Blackhawk shares many of the same components with the Bravo 3.
My bet is that high rpm shifting can more easily damage the clutches and gears. You've got more inertia/load with having two props and 2 drive shafts.
It may also be that an efi engine can be programmed to cut spark/power while shifting similar to the cutout switch used on Alpha drives.
You will have less prop slip in the water with 6 blades and counter rotation so the boat is going to move quickly thru the water at idle even at low rpm.
The OEM has to be conservative when warrantying a product. What does your engine idle at?
I've been told that a Bravo should be shifted under 1000rpm so you're probably fine under 800 with a Blackhawk.
Keep researching, there are guys that have much more radical engines running blackhawks for sure...

Ghost
12-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Keep researching, there are guys that have much more radical engines running blackhawks for sure...

Had the same thought...for one I thought some of the Lip-Ship Cig 20s had big power with BH drives.

ClintB
12-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Appreciate the advice!

Pat McPherson
12-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Had the same thought...for one I thought some of the Lip-Ship Cig 20s had big power with BH drives.

Yes, there is a 20' Cig with big power and Blackhawk running over 100mph.
The fellow MDonziM that had the 22' Donzi and 540 hook to Blackhawk is building that Midnight express he shared here. Ask him about the Blackhawk.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?69391-Midnight-Express-32-Project

yeller
12-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Ok I found a Blackhawk drive at a price I may be willing to pay (still have to find props though). I need some expert feedback here. From reading a bunch of internet posts it appears that the blackhawk outdrive was only offered on the 502efi as the efi allowed the motor to be idled slow enough around the dock and shifted(?). Some people mentioned breaking the drive if it is shifted while the motor idles to high.
I caution you about getting a BH if you don't have props. You'll need the 31's with your motor and those are the hardest ones to get. I've only seen a 2 sets come up for sale in the last few years and they went quick. Granted I wasn't looking hard for a set, but I do casually look around.

From what I have read the blackhawk drive is good for up to 600hp. I was looking for more info on the efi only stuff I read and dont fully underatand. If I understand it rifht the blackhawk needs a low rpm to shift amd be manageable around the dock and this is not as do-able with a carb engine. Just trying to get educated here, hoping someone can clarify. You can't believe everything on the interweb.

I have been reading everything I can find, including offshore only, but never posted there.As far as I know, the 502efi was set up with a lower idle to accommodate the BH. It wasn't the only motor to get the BH though. The Scarab P29 used twin small blocks with the BH. I don't know about breaking shafts, just by shifting into gear. IMO, if that happened, the shaft was about ready to let go regardless. You do want the idle as low as possible though, because it does shift hard, and twin 31's push the boat pretty briskly even at 6~700rpm

The BH can take as much hp as a standard Bravo. What that amount is has been open for debate for years. Merc certainly does not rate the BH to 600hp......but there are plenty of drives running at that hp. The upper is Bravo 1 and the lower is Bravo 3. The only parts no longer available are the vertical shaft and the case.

IMHO.........and this is only an opinion......if your boat runs good with the current drive, I'd leave it as is.......unless you find a good deal on a BH with props, so if you don't like it, you can always sell it for what you paid.

MDonziM
12-20-2016, 02:20 PM
Clintb,

I sold my 22 last year. It was originally a standard bravo set up with a 502. I put a 540ci/ 650hp motor in and ran a BH drive on it.
Feel free to call me regarding any issues you may have.
Marshall

JayZ
12-21-2016, 10:07 AM
one thing you could do if you are concerened about shifting at higher RPM or really with too much torque is install a shift interrupter that drops a couple cylinders and uloads the drive.

There are a few aftermarket ones out there, I bought one from CDI that was designed to work with HEI type distributor.

Fishermanjm
12-24-2016, 10:20 AM
That boat look awsome,,, the gold hardware really stands out
sweet ride!!!

VetteLT193
12-26-2016, 07:53 AM

The BH can take as much hp as a standard Bravo. What that amount is has been open for debate for years. Merc certainly does not rate the BH to 600hp......but there are plenty of drives running at that hp. The upper is Bravo 1 and the lower is Bravo 3. The only parts no longer available are the vertical shaft and the case.

IMHO.........and this is only an opinion......if your boat runs good with the current drive, I'd leave it as is.......unless you find a good deal on a BH with props, so if you don't like it, you can always sell it for what you paid.

The xr gear set is available for it. Merc will pair the 520 with the bravo 3 xr and will pair the bravo1 xr with the 600 from the factory.

I remember reading a few years back that a company would cnc BH props and I heard a rumor that the company that originally made the props still had the molds and was considering a run of props. Can't remember what the company was though. The cnc wheels were cost prohibitive so the latter would be more ideal

yeller
12-27-2016, 12:01 PM
I remember reading a few years back that a company would cnc BH props and I heard a rumor that the company that originally made the props still had the molds and was considering a run of props. Can't remember what the company was though. The cnc wheels were cost prohibitive so the latter would be more ideal
Yes, I remember reading that also. I believe Hoss Props will make BH props. It was well over $5k, and that was a few years ago.

thriller
01-21-2017, 07:20 PM
I Like it:yes: