PDA

View Full Version : Hey George

DonziJon
08-11-2016, 06:46 PM
I know you're interested in OLD aviation. For decades we had "FIFI", the only B-29 flying in the world. Now we have "Doc", the second B-29 flying. :yes: John

This plane ..as well as "FIFI" is owned by the "Confederate Air Force"...Woops: MY BAD..Now the "Comerative Air Force".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CscShi3BV8Q

gcarter
08-12-2016, 01:59 PM
I've been following "Doc" to some extent. I saw the other day it got
its airworthiness certificate.
It looks really good!

DonziJon
08-12-2016, 05:38 PM
I got to see FIFI at Oshkosh in 1989 right after I got my Private .(Just Braggin). Those with a Pilots License had MUCH more latitude on the field to get close to the planes.

We could just walk up to the plane and touch it. We walked up into the Bomb Bay (FIFI) which was open. There were oil absorbent bags everywhere stacked up inside the fuselage in the bomb bay. Oil dripping everywhere. Drip pans under the plane on the ground. Yet the plane flew in ..........and is still flying today.. :D DJ

gcarter
08-12-2016, 08:50 PM
I think all round engines leak.....

DonziJon
08-13-2016, 06:40 PM
BTW: George: Round Engines were NOT carried in the Bomb Bay: :)

I just remembered. I have friend going back to 1958. He has been an aviation enthusiast and aircraft owner for a long time. Amphibians. A few years ago he was up in New Hampshire getting his Lake Amphibian upgraded at Laconia.

He had a slurry..of something ...applied all over the lower fuselage .. inside. He said it was VERY expensive but was necessary. It seeps in to all the seams and rivet holes to prevent corrosion.

I think FIFI was being spritzed with this stuff for the same reason...it was just "running off". What do you think....DJ

gcarter
08-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Could have been the rather extensive hydraulic system.
What I meant previously was oil can come from anywhere
from the engines and slung onto the fuselage by the props.

DonziJon
08-14-2016, 06:43 PM
My original thought (1989) was that hydraulic fluid was leaking from everywhere. Hydraulic lines should NOT have leaks. You don't FLY if you have leaks. AIR everywhere in the lines. NO FLY: IMHO

SO: If you have leaks...you better have really big backup fluid tanks ....Maybe that's it...WHO Knows. I love these old planes. John

Bruce B.
08-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Just been talking bout this with close friend. Retired navy 20 years. He said if it wasn't leaking it wasn't safe....

Marlin275
08-16-2016, 08:39 AM
I saw the movies those planes flew with bullet holes and redundant systems that kept them flying . . .

gcarter
08-17-2016, 06:07 PM
I do recall that hydraulic components will suffer partial seal failure if
not used frequently......These planes are hardly used at all,
therefore leaks.
i.e., a Southwest 737 wouldn't have a leaking hydraulic system.