PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a Bravo 1

txtaz
08-07-2016, 05:44 AM
All,
I have some down time on my hands and I want to rebuild my 1999 Bravo 1.

The drive has been used hard and is evident by the discolored and chipping paint on the upper drive. Also the drive lube monitor bottle expands to the top when running hard indicating the air in the top of the drive is getting hot and expanding more than normal. I also lost 500 RPM on the top end. I am guessing I have a bad bearing but I would like to go through the entire drive and replace common parts that go bad and obviously replace the bad bearing or bearings. I’d like this rebuild to last.

I removed the drive this year and aligned the motor. I also checked the u-joints and greased everything. The gimbal bearing has been replaced also.

I would appreciate any information on what parts and tools I will need.

Thanks,
Taz

yeller
08-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Wes, if you PM me your email address I can email you the service manual, if you need it. It'll list all the tools you need.....although I usually find you can make your own or modify existing tools to do the same job.

txtaz
08-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Hi Glen,

Thanks for the offer. I have a manual and was really looking to see if others have done the work and get input.

Taz

yeller
08-10-2016, 01:33 AM
Can't help you on a rebuild. Only thing I've done is replace the upper gears.
I don't see anything too difficult in rebuilding the entire drive, though. The critical part is in setting the gear lash. Those tools will be a must have. I had to buy the one for setting up the top gears. I think it cost me $250 (Canadian). If you don't plan on doing multiple drives, it might be worth considering rebuilding the drive yourself, but have a shop set the clearances.

Tidbart
08-11-2016, 05:59 PM
When you are done with the mechanics, here is how I repainted my drive. For reference: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?67403-Bravo-Repaint&highlight=bravo

Good luck

Bob

txtaz
08-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Great idea Glen. I'm going to try and make PK next month so I'll wait till after that to tear it down.

Great job on the paint Bob. I will definitely need to do the same.

Taz