on an oil filter and lines issue. I have the mercruiser remote
oil filter system. Up by the manifold. The lines leaked. Them an possibly the
factory adapter o-rings. Can I mount the filter on the block like
an automotive application. What are the thoughts about this what should I do
also I don't have an oil cooler. Not sure if that makes a diff
Jim Anderson

yeller
08-03-2016, 05:12 PM
I don't see a problem using the block mount location. Ran my SBC 16C that way for 18 years.
I always assumed Merc used a remote mount only to improve access.
I can tell you from experience, it's not fun trying to get the oil filter off when it's on the block and down low.

CHACHI
08-03-2016, 05:57 PM
I don't see a problem using the block mount location. Ran my SBC 16C that way for 18 years.
I always assumed Merc used a remote mount only to improve access.
I can tell you from experience, it's not fun trying to get the oil filter off when it's on the block and down low.

+1

Ken

tmdog
08-04-2016, 06:08 AM
+2 No matter how careful you are in changing oil, somehow it ends up in the bilge.:bonk:

gcarter
08-04-2016, 06:55 AM
There are better methods and hoses than what Merc provides.
A transom mount for a different filter housing shortens the hoses.
Aeroquip supplies teflon hose w/stainless braid and reusable ends.
It may take some work, but you'll be much happier than using the
block location.
Kinda like this:

Fishermanjm
08-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Soo I decided to leave the oil filter mounted in the
factory position. I had new lined made up, s s braided
lines. They were flexible enough to fit nice.
not sure if my motor grew over the past year
or not,,,,,,,, I don't seem to fit in the engine compartment
any more. I had to stay calm an shoe horn myself down
alongside the motor and the side of the boat
I wonder why???

Morgan's Cloud
08-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Oil changes for the average handy man aren't anything serious . The problem with the Merc remote oil filter location (IMO) is the stupid upside down position they put them in. That rates even a bit higher than painting an inboard engine jet black if you ask me .
If our mechanic does get to the oil change part before I do he still says , every time , how dumb the upside down thing is .
After a little practice though you can execute an oil change without any spills or mess . It just takes a lot more planning and foresight . Something we shouldn't have to do .

(Note in George's beautiful work the filter is positioned the way it should be , and accessible too )

gcarter
08-04-2016, 01:00 PM
That's great Jim, and it looks impressive!

woobs
08-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Remote location and upward orientation are both positives for ease of service . The braided lines just make it easy for removal if required (and they look nice). This set up causes no mess in the bilge.

gcarter
08-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Oil changes for the average handy man aren't anything serious . The problem with the Merc remote oil filter location (IMO) is the stupid upside down position they put them in. That rates even a bit higher than painting an inboard engine jet black if you ask me .
If our mechanic does get to the oil change part before I do he still says , every time , how dumb the upside down thing is .
After a little practice though you can execute an oil change without any spills or mess . It just takes a lot more planning and foresight . Something we shouldn't have to do .

(Note in George's beautiful work the filter is positioned the way it should be , and accessible too )

All it takes is a one gallon Zip lock bag to go over it, and unscrew!
BTW, have you noticed how many Ferrari engines have two oil filters,
upside down on top of the engine?

Fishermanjm
08-05-2016, 10:56 AM
A buddie of mine that worked for Fram told me that the oil flows
more evenly through the filter with it mounted upside down. An that
the auto manufactured said no to redesigning the filters to be mounted in
that fashion True story... Btw the starboard side maintaince is done,
starting the port side today. Checking the SM manifolds an risers for leaks
an corrosion like someone on the site mentioned. The fuel pump looks good
no corrosion I'm gonna leave it alone. Anythin else I should be lookin for???

Pat McPherson
08-05-2016, 12:28 PM
The setup in my boat forces the short filters or they interfere with the exhaust manifold. Still always spill some oil when changing...

Fishermanjm, do you have 18C or 22C?
Looks like Small block chevy.

Nice job with the new braided lines.:cool:

I got stuck working on mine the other day changing plugs so...:rolleyes:

Ghost
08-05-2016, 02:32 PM
Looks great. How much clearance is there to get filters off/on?

tmdog
08-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Remote location and upward orientation are both positives for ease of service . The braided lines just make it easy for removal if required (and they look nice). This set up causes no mess in the bilge.

Woobs, I don't know how true it is but when using copper tube, a loop must be placed in tube to avoid breaking. It's the vibration that causes the failure. If there is some truth in my statement, you would have a mess.

DonziJon
08-05-2016, 06:07 PM
All it takes is a one gallon Zip lock bag to go over it, and unscrew!
BTW, have you noticed how many Ferrari engines have two oil filters,
upside down on top of the engine?

Hey George: I have noticed how many recent Ferrari's require an engine removal..to change the oil...:lookaroun:

PS: I am a Ferrari Fan...had a 308 in my garage a couple of decades ago. :yes: DJ

woobs
08-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Woobs, I don't know how true it is but when using copper tube, a loop must be placed in tube to avoid breaking. It's the vibration that causes the failure. If there is some truth in my statement, you would have a mess.

If the copper line went straight to a pump/filter mounted on the engine, I would agree. However, in this case the filter is hard mounted to a bulkhead and the vibration is eliminated with a braided line between the filter and the engine mounted pump.

Now back to your scheduled program..........