PDA

View Full Version : 22 ZX/Bravo Owners, Please Help

Top-Gun
07-09-2016, 01:02 PM
If you've got this combo, preferably a non step hull, could you please take a look at your aft drive ram pin and tell me which position its in (I.e. pin to the stern spacer towards bow, or vice versa)? This can be observed by looking at the ram ends in comparison with the oblong boss on the drive unit.

I just finished a gimbal bearing/bellows job and noticed the Mercrusier manual specifies that Bravo Ones should have the semi circular spacer positioned towards the bow, mine was in the opposite position which Merc states is for Bravo 2 and 3 only.

I can't tell if Donzi set it this way on purpose or if a prior servicer swapped positions unknowingly.

Thanks

Morgan's Cloud
07-09-2016, 01:34 PM
OK , you've got me scratching my head now . I admit that as far as I recall mine (on a B3) has always been 'to the stern' , not the bow , but if it is designed to have a function how is that function different on different drives ?

If someone can answer this in a convincing manner I'm hoping that it will be one of the guys I consider 'know its' , not know it alls . :kingme:

Top-Gun
07-09-2016, 02:22 PM
From what I can tell the position of the spacer limits how far in the drive can be trimmed with the rams bottomed out. Going by the service manual, it appears Merc allows Bravo Ones to trim in further than Twos or Threes for whatever reason.

If your spacer is positioned in the stern position (I.e. your trim pin is closest to the bow), then your setup matches the merc manual recommendation for a B3.

Trueser
07-10-2016, 06:58 AM
Bravo 1 is forward.

I think its more to limit fully extended up so it stops before the gimbal.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-10-2016, 01:41 PM
The "celery stalk" spacer goes forward of the pin on a Bravo and Bravo 2 and to the rear of a Bravo 3 according to my mechanic I just called. This allows the drive to trim a little further down with the Bravo and B2 for quicker planing.

Morgan's Cloud
07-10-2016, 02:11 PM
The "celery stalk" spacer goes forward of the pin on a Bravo and Bravo 2 and to the rear of a Bravo 3 according to my mechanic I just called. This allows the drive to trim a little further down with the Bravo and B2 for quicker planing.

That makes sense 'cause there sure isn't any problem getting on plane with a B3

Top-Gun
07-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the replys all, glad I noticed this and corrected it. My holeshot does seem considerably better now.