PDA

View Full Version : Black Hawk Durability

yorkey
06-26-2016, 11:48 AM
I have my eyes on a 22 Classic with a Black Hawk drive married to a stock EFI Mercruiser 502. Do you have to be gentle with the black hawks or can you rest assured that you can give it all she's got whenever you feel like it? Regarding this boats history, I'm still doing my diligence, but I'm assuming this is a factory Black Hawk Classic and not a conversion. Current owner has been gentle with it, out of the hole because he had heard you can break 'em.

gcarter
06-26-2016, 03:41 PM
As I understand it, a Blackhawk is a short Bravo III, which is just as durable
as any Bravo.
The reason to be cautious is to not break unobtainable Blackhawk exclusive
parts (breaking castings, snapping shafts, etc.) which are difficult to find.

fegettes
06-26-2016, 07:08 PM
I had my 1995 LE Blackhawk for five years, never abused it, and never had any issues. It handled great, sort of miss it.

Steve

glashole
06-27-2016, 08:37 AM
once you get onto it you would end up being gentle too..

Like the story of the old bull...

He and his son are sitting on the top of a hill looking down over a herd of cattle
the son looks up at his dad and says " Dad, I am going to run down and F@#k one of those cows"
To which the dad says
"Well son, why don't we just walk down and we can f@#k all of them"

You can drive a Blackhawk as hard as you want
But you don't need to. They will rock and roll with the best of them and will get there fast enough.
Its like any boat, take it easy getting there and you can do it for a lot longer

Shea

MDonziM
06-27-2016, 09:40 PM
I had 650 hp running thru mine with no issues in 80 hrs. Since the drive is shorter your prop leaves the water more easily/frequently so it pays to have a nice responsive throttle to mitigate stress on re-entry. I preferred the handling to a bravo except for real sloppy water or real ruff water where the bravo has more leverage and control.