PDA

View Full Version : Question about 280 trim

Gerk
05-21-2016, 07:17 PM
I am currently running a standard Volvo Aq280 on the 21GT with 454.
Does anyone run a trimable 280 with the earmuffs?
I am wondering how much better mine will run with one. Much faster?
I have trim tabs.

Thank for all your help.

Kirbyvv
05-26-2016, 12:11 PM
I switch to a 280T transom assembly on my X18 mainly for trimablility to get into my dock, where the water was shallow. I really didn't notice any difference in speed.

Gerk
05-27-2016, 11:48 AM
Thank you very much for replying.

Dang, I was hoping to get another 5 mph or even just a few more mph.
Does it help with any porpoising?
I know i have trim tabsto help with that.
Trying to see if there are any more advantages to having the trim other than the shallow water driving.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-28-2016, 11:42 AM
You will have the ability to adjust trim angle for any subtle changes you encounter. You can definitely take care of porpoising and many other ride characteristics with trim. An outdrive boat without trim is very similar to a V-drive boat where no changes can be made to the propulsion angle once underway.

Morgan's Cloud
05-28-2016, 01:05 PM
^^^ Completely agree .

Power trim and tabs do two completely different things . I would never go back to having a boat without p/t , unless it was a really cool I/B or V drive.

If you have the opportunity to do it I would seize it and run . With my previous un-trimable 270 experience one tilt pin position isn't enough and the next is too much . You don't have that problem with p/t .
It sure wont slow you down in any way and you probably will find an improvement somewhere along the line at given throttle settings.

And keep them tabs too . They do an important job that p/t cant !