PDA

View Full Version : Trim tabs for 1967 Ski Sporter with V-Drive

yesyoucan4
05-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Have a rare 67 Ski Sporter with V-drive and big rudder. It really needs trim tabs since I cannot trim. What opinion for proper tabs.

jl1962
05-16-2016, 06:27 AM
Just curious, why do you feel you need them?

My '67 Ski Sporter (slightly different animal - Volvo I/O, no trim) had them - I NEVER used them.

olredalert
05-16-2016, 08:19 AM
----Trim tabs put more hull in the water when used equally (left and right). With a V-drive you already have too much hull in the water because of the prop angle. Trim tabs would only bury the hull more......Bill S

Morgan's Cloud
05-16-2016, 02:10 PM
IMO trim tabs are important to have on any V hulled boat.
I haven't been on one yet that didn't heel into a beam wind (fixed with the flick of a switch)
Uneven passenger load , no matter how hard you try (fixed with the flick of a switch)
Or being caught out in really nasty conditions that preclude being able to get on a plane where negative trim isn't enough and you want to keep you bow down and mush through the big oncoming seas to get back to port a little bit faster .

v-drive
05-29-2016, 08:29 AM
I've owned a 18 foot v-drive for 25 years. At wide open throttle in glassy water it does run nose down. The more chop you have the less problem it is. You will never need trim tabs at wot. But at 30-35 mph cruise speed that thing will porpoise like a dolphin. You need trim tabs now.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-30-2016, 01:01 PM
IMO trim tabs are important to have on any V hulled boat.
I haven't been on one yet that didn't heel into a beam wind (fixed with the flick of a switch)
Uneven passenger load , no matter how hard you try (fixed with the flick of a switch)
Or being caught out in really nasty conditions that preclude being able to get on a plane where negative trim isn't enough and you want to keep you bow down and mush through the big oncoming seas to get back to port a little bit faster .

I completely agree with all these reasons to have tabs. After installing my first set in 1974 on my 1971 18' Donzi, I made sure to have them on every V hull boat since then - including an 18' Donzi V drive that I once had.

yesyoucan4
06-07-2016, 07:11 AM
What brand or what actual tabs should I consider