PDA

View Full Version : 18 classic towing weight?

zimm17
05-12-2016, 09:40 AM
Anyone know what a classic 18 on a trailer weighs? I'm limited to 3500# (wrangler JKU) and wondering if I can possibly get back into a donzi again....

BUIZILLA
05-12-2016, 10:01 AM
my brother had a 2004 Rubicon and I towed my 18 with it several times... no problem.... trailer brakes would be a huge plus though, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again

Ghost
05-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Anyone know what a classic 18 on a trailer weighs? I'm limited to 3500# (wrangler JKU) and wondering if I can possibly get back into a donzi again....

Some single-axle aluminum trailers MIGHT sneak under, but I suspect with almost anything else you'll be over. Small block and Alpha package with aluminum exhaust like Stainless Marine might help also. With all the stars lined up, maybe you could find a dual-axle trailer that'd be light enough. Are you looking at long tows or just house-to-ramp on a neighborhood street or two? I suspect the wheelbase on the Jeep might be a towing challenge regardless of weight. And even if you get under the bar on weight, it'd be a maxed out trailer behind a maxed out vehicle. Trailer brakes would be critical.

I may be totally wrong, but that's my guess, looking at a few specs quickly. So, for short hauls, I'd think there's a chance. For repeated long hauls, I suspect you'd want a different vehicle.

Carl C
05-12-2016, 10:31 AM
I agree for shorter trips you'll be fine. Make sure your hitch and ball are in good shape. Don't use overdrive.

Pat McPherson
05-12-2016, 11:39 AM
I owned a 1999 Wrangler 4.0L 5 speed for 8 years and consistently towed 3 different boats larger than an 18' Donzi. I never went more than 60mph on the highway though and had tandem trailers with brakes.

yeller
05-12-2016, 11:46 AM
From this trailer manufacturer, an aluminum single axle would be about 500lbs.

http://www.magictilt.com/aluminum/item/205-xpress-series-single-axle

From the Donzi website, the 18 is 2950lbs which includes:
Boat, motor (heaviest offered), full fuel, full water and all available options.

You're looking at 3450. That leaves you 50lbs. Different boats could easily be lighter or heavier depending on year, options and trailer. The above weights also don't include any gear, which can add up quickly.

Your vehicle will tow it, but you may not be legal. If you get into an accident and it can be proven you are over 3500lbs, it is likely you will be 100% responsible for all costs.....no insurance. It could even result in manslaughter charges if someone is killed.
No one ever expects to get into an accident, but even the safest drivers can have a momentary lapse in judgement.

Personally, I'd get any prospective purchase weighed to make sure. The difference between being legal and illegal, may be as little as carrying a bit of your gear in your vehicle when towing.

CHACHI
05-12-2016, 12:47 PM
The difference between being legal and illegal, may be as little as carrying a bit of your gear in your vehicle when towing.

Just make sure "the little bit of gear" along with your tongue weigh doesn't exceed the GVW of the tow vehicle.

Christ.......it shouldn't have to be this hard to go boating.

Ken

JParanee
05-12-2016, 01:34 PM
From this trailer manufacturer, an aluminum single axle would be about 500lbs.

http://www.magictilt.com/aluminum/item/205-xpress-series-single-axle

From the Donzi website, the 18 is 2950lbs which includes:
Boat, motor (heaviest offered), full fuel, full water and all available options.

You're looking at 3450. That leaves you 50lbs. Different boats could easily be lighter or heavier depending on year, options and trailer. The above weights also don't include any gear, which can add up quickly.

Your vehicle will tow it, but you may not be legal. If you get into an accident and it can be proven you are over 3500lbs, it is likely you will be 100% responsible for all costs.....no insurance. It could even result in manslaughter charges if someone is killed.
No one ever expects to get into an accident, but even the safest drivers can have a momentary lapse in judgement.

Personally, I'd get any prospective purchase weighed to make sure. The difference between being legal and illegal, may be as little as carrying a bit of your gear in your vehicle when towing.

This is is solid advise

in today's day in age overkill is prudent :)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa302/jparanee/Vehicles/image_69.jpeg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/jparanee/media/Vehicles/image_69.jpeg.html)

Ghost
05-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Just make sure "the little bit of gear" along with your tongue weigh doesn't exceed the GVW of the tow vehicle.

Ken

Was thinking the same thing.

Back in the day, the guys on 188th St would have just put 2600 on the spec sheet. :)

woobs
05-12-2016, 03:57 PM
My single axel Loadrite steel trailer weighs 590 lbs.

yeller
05-12-2016, 09:14 PM

KenI know what you mean Ken. I don't normally want to be the person to piss in a guys corn flakes, but these days you can't be overly cautious. People will sue you for not wearing the proper shirt.

You don't want to know (or more accurately, I don't want to say) what I use to tow with my little Ford Ranger when I was younger. :nilly:

woobs
05-13-2016, 06:44 AM
..... People will sue you for not wearing the proper shirt....

Well, if it helps... my company does custom apparel so, I'll sell you a new shirt!

I tow with a GMC Canyon crew cab. It's only a 5 cylinder 3.5l (220 HP 225 tq) and is a 'tween type truck. no where near a full size and considerably bigger than a small truck. My boat + trailer is 2970 lbs. Truck capacity is 4000 lbs. but, hitch capacity is just 3500 lbs. (so, I still have room for too much gear). This truck is comfortable and Pulls like a champ out of the ramp , on the highway or anywhere in between and gets decent fuel mileage while doing it.

Of course it's way too small a truck for a 22 and that is a factor that holds me back from a bigger boat.
The bottom line is that it is all about planning. You have to plan to go boating at every stage and you need to be responsible about it.