PDA

View Full Version : Follow up on faded red stirpe

Capevettes
04-30-2016, 07:04 AM
Thought you guys would like to see a follow up on my faded red stripe thread on my 18. Actually got it looking pretty good with some 3M Color Gloss Restorer designed for use on gelcoats and a random orbital buffer. Not sure how long it will stay shiny but it looks pretty good for now. Thanks for all the recommendations. Boat goes in tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Guimond
04-30-2016, 07:44 AM
I'm assuming that the 3M Color Gloss Restorer product is totally different than what your detail guy used on it last year?

CHACHI
04-30-2016, 08:23 AM
Now just maintain it and things will be fine.

Ken

gcarter
04-30-2016, 10:00 AM
You could add an additional layer of cover over the stripe......something that completely blocks the sun.
I keep my red Donzi inside. Seems to work well.

Capevettes
04-30-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm assuming that the 3M Color Gloss Restorer product is totally different than what your detail guy used on it last year?

He actually wet sanded it and then buffed it out with some kind of a product more aligned with work on base coat/clear coat car finishes.

Capevettes
04-30-2016, 11:59 AM
Now just maintain it and things will be fine.

Ken

Ken, I hope so. I am pretty particular with my cars and boat but the sun just beats on this thing all day long.

Capevettes
04-30-2016, 12:07 PM
You could add an additional layer of cover over the stripe......something that completely blocks the sun.
I keep my red Donzi inside. Seems to work well.

George, I may keep it covered. It's just hard to get a cover on it while it's up on the lift. Wish we could have those little houses for the lift but it just won't work in the Northeast. Everything gets pulled in the fall or it will freeze up and be destroyed.

What product do you guys like to keep the shine? I have tried car products as well as 303 Aerospace Protectant.

CHACHI
04-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Collinite Insulator Wax keeps my boat shiney.

Ken

CHACHI
04-30-2016, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=Capevettes;663656]George, I may keep it covered. It's just hard to get a cover on it while it's up on the lift. Wish we could have those little houses for the lift but it just won't work in the Northeast. Everything gets pulled in the fall or it will freeze up and be destroyed.

I think it is obvious which is the before and what is the after.

This happen in February. the wind really kicked up and drove the river ice into the structure.

Twisted 8" "I" beams like a pretzel.

This boat house is a thousand feet from mine. I have the protection of the bay.

Ken

Capevettes
04-30-2016, 03:21 PM

Ken

Thanks Ken. I will try to find some.

Capevettes
04-30-2016, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=Capevettes;663656]George, I may keep it covered. It's just hard to get a cover on it while it's up on the lift. Wish we could have those little houses for the lift but it just won't work in the Northeast. Everything gets pulled in the fall or it will freeze up and be destroyed.

I think it is obvious which is the before and what is the after.

This happen in February. the wind really kicked up and drove the river ice into the structure.

Twisted 8" "I" beams like a pretzel.

This boat house is a thousand feet from mine. I have the protection of the bay.

Ken
Wow. That took a serious beating. I'm pretty wide open where I am. We get alot of wind and some winters the ice is 3 feet thick.

Capevettes
04-30-2016, 03:31 PM

Ken

Just ordered some from AutoGeek. Looks like great stuff. I want it to stay shiny :biggrin.: