PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Gibson Les Paul Guitar.

Scott Pearson
04-20-2016, 04:45 PM
Just picked this up today. #6 of 100. Never been played and is mint! Always wanted one.

Carl C
04-20-2016, 05:35 PM
Very nice! :cool!:

Ed Donnelly
04-20-2016, 05:45 PM
Barry Eller...Breezer has the same one too cool...Ed

f_inscreenname
04-20-2016, 07:21 PM
I'll ask.
What that set you back?
Very nice by the way. :yes:

Tidbart
04-20-2016, 07:52 PM
If I remember correctly, John Totaro bought that one, originally. Cool Guitar.

It probably hasn't been played, or not much. I remember John saying it was not easy to play as it has no frets on the neck. Not a beginner's guitar. Especially with the original price tag.

B

Just Say N20
04-20-2016, 10:00 PM
What a find! A true work of art.

The neck has frets. . . .

Mr X
04-21-2016, 07:46 AM
I would send it to Gibson and have it authenticated. Lots of counterfeit ones made out there....with serial numbers and look very legit.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/new-brand-custom-electric-guitar-donzi-inlay/155532997.html

Tidbart
04-21-2016, 07:57 AM
Wow. Is nothing sacred to these scumbags?

Here is the description from the ad. Their command of the english language is priceless.

"Unlike Acoustic guitars, cheapest electric guitar are a more fashionable and new instrument. The sound of electric guitar online is higher, and more striking, which is very suitable for rock and roll. It is an extremely cool scene for a boy to play the electric guitar kits on the stage and sing out loud. The second hand electric guitars can actually stimulate the passion from the bottom of your heart, and the quality of junior electric guitar in our shop makes you concern free. Come on and get a new 12 string electric guitar!"

If this doesn't have Chairman Mao written all over it, nothing does.

Bob

I would send it to Gibson and have it authenticated. Lots of counterfeit ones made out there....with serial numbers and look very legit.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/new-brand-custom-electric-guitar-donzi-inlay/155532997.html

Tidbart
04-21-2016, 08:17 AM
What a find! A true work of art.

The neck has frets. . . .

Position markers, not frets. Oops. Obviously not a guitar player. :bonk:

jl1962
04-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Scott's is real.
Very easy to tell.

The cheap one is not even close, although their English is way better than my Chinese!

Correct, no position markers on the fingerboard (it says DONZI), but there will be dots on the neck binding for fret positioning - not too hard to get the hang of.

Mr. X is correct, there are a lot of fake Les Paul's out there, but they cost 50-100x more than this one.

Nice find.

Now all Scott needs is a matching Donzi.....
Ted????

;)

CHACHI
04-21-2016, 10:38 AM
Just buy the book "How to buy a guitar and not fret"

It will explain everything.

Just saying.

ken

Scott Pearson
04-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Its real. I already did my home work trust me. I also spoke to Gibson as well and confirmed everything. The knock offs are pretty good but there are differences as long as you know what too look for.

Ted the guitar you posted a link to is clearly a fake. You don't even have to look far to see that. Hell the biggest give away is Gibson is not even on the headstock. Also the neck should be all blue on the back. Not white.

I also received all the original paper work as well.

woobs
04-21-2016, 06:17 PM
The offshore reproductions usually use Metric hardware while Gibson uses Imperial. Even the pick guards and backing covers are different dimensionally. If you open her up and have a look at the, pickups, pots, wiring, soldering connections will all be of inferior quality yet, still stamped with their manufacturer.

Funny enough... Epiphone, Gibson's value marque, uses all the same cheap offshore metric parts but are still regarded as a quality instrument.

I have built a Gibson Les Paul clone from Gibson parts on an offshore "value" body/neck that sounded fantastic and played well. It cost me nowhere near the lower ante level of a factory Gibson.

The point is, that authentic Gibson's are easy to verify and the clones/copies/fakes are just as easy to tell apart if you know what you are looking at. As long as you get what you pay for it's all good.

Note: the same goes for Fender and their value marque, Squire.

Mr X
04-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Its real. I already did my home work trust me. I also spoke to Gibson as well and confirmed everything. The knock offs are pretty good but there are differences as long as you know what too look for.

Ted the guitar you posted a link to is clearly a fake. You don't even have to look far to see that. Hell the biggest give away is Gibson is not even on the headstock. Also the neck should be all blue on the back. Not white.

I also received all the original paper work as well.
Scott, I'm glad you did get a genuine Gibson. I was not trying to stir up the pot....
The link I posted quickly, was an example. There are several companies making counterfeit guitars. Some better than others. We had 2 come into the Donzi factory when I worked there that literally were almost identical to the genuine one in Nick Millers office. They even had the display case with the 18 classic wallpaper in the background.

Ed Donnelly
04-22-2016, 07:45 AM
This is Barry's.84349

jl1962
04-22-2016, 08:15 AM
I've always liked this model, but I'm waiting for Fender to make a Donzi version.
Until then.........

Carl C
04-22-2016, 10:52 AM
The fake one might still be nice to just put on display. Put a Gibson logo on it. Of course it will never have any collector value but would still look cool.

Mr X
04-22-2016, 02:04 PM
The fake one might still be nice to just put on display. Put a Gibson logo on it. Of course it will never have any collector value but would still look cool.
Oh, there are fake ones available with the Gibson logo, and much better quality that the one link I posted.

woobs
04-22-2016, 06:06 PM
I've always liked this model, but I'm waiting for Fender to make a Donzi version.
Until then.........

Love the Tele.... I've made dozens of 'em.

jl1962
04-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Thanks!

The one on the left was made by Rick Kelly in Greenwich Village out of 100 year old ash and maple. He makes guitars for Bob Dylan, Lou Reed (RIP), GE Smith, Lenny Kaye (Patti Smith Band), Bill Kirchen (Hot Rod Lincoln) etc......

Come to think of it, he could probably make me a Donzicaster!

Speaking of fakes, the Tele Thinline is a Danocaster - great guitar.

Greg Guimond
04-23-2016, 12:09 PM
One of the best ever on the neck .......... RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y&feature=youtu.be

:frown:

Carl C
04-23-2016, 12:38 PM
One of the best ever on the neck .......... RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y&feature=youtu.be

:frown:

That is a great video. I had to log in and add it to my "favorites". Prince stole the show. I never could get into Prince's music but still a very talented life snuffed out too early. Thanks for posting this. Now I want to look up more Prince cover songs. Who is the young guy on acoustic guitar?

Greg Guimond
04-23-2016, 01:05 PM
Epic Riff from Prince for sure ............... Carl, that's Dhani Harrison

jl1962
04-23-2016, 01:12 PM
I like how he takes off the guitar at the end of the song and throws it up in the air.........

It never comes down........

And all the other rock gods on stage are like - I don't want to follow this guy, take another solo, Prince!

Cool.

I was never a huge fan, but he sure stole the Super Bowl.

Always a great showman.

Tim Morris
04-25-2016, 12:06 PM
This is Barry's.84349

Barry is wearing the same 'Spectro' shirt as I am. He must know quality stuff when he sees it.

Carl C
04-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Epic Riff from Prince for sure ............... Carl, that's Dhani Harrison

Thanks. I figured it out. His name shows up briefly at the beginning. He looks a lot like his father. At first I thought he was Prince. I love that video. Prince throws his guitar in the air at the end and it doesn't come down and he walks off the stage. One of a kind!

Ed Donnelly
04-26-2016, 03:24 AM
Barry is wearing the same 'Spectro' shirt as I am. He must know quality stuff when he sees it.

That is me not Barry.
But he still knows quality stuff as he has a DONZI and ME as a friend.L.O.L...Ed

CHACHI
04-26-2016, 06:15 AM
That is me not Barry.
But he still knows quality stuff as he has a DONZI and ME as a friend.L.O.L...Ed
You guys are killing me.

Ken

woobs
04-26-2016, 06:24 AM
I made all of these except two (my sons sunburst Squire Tele + Strat hanging on the right). Currently finishing the yellow Tele. I also have a green Strat and another Tele in the early stages. BTW, all of these are very different in the way they play, sound and even the way they feel (weight, shape, neck).