PDA

View Full Version : 22 Ilmor..awesome

Pismo
03-21-2016, 08:11 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Donzi-22-ILMOR-Edition-1-of-a-kind-runs-over-100-MPH-Better-than-new-/222059554370?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33b3c7e642:g:BD4AAOSw-vlVkfGz&item=222059554370

1996Z15
03-21-2016, 08:41 AM
:drool:

Carl C
03-22-2016, 07:11 AM
Amazing that no one has snatched up Ted's boat yet.

gcarter
03-22-2016, 09:20 AM
One person did.........then he went through a divorce!!!! Ted got it back.

Greg Guimond
03-22-2016, 09:36 AM
Ted's boat is amazing. If that is the hull you wanted he really is the only guy who can deliver. Here is a Cig 20 for sale. Makes the Donzi price look very reasonable.

JParanee
03-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Awesome ride

I thought I did a good job on mine :)

Carl C
03-22-2016, 05:07 PM

Yep. It was here in Michigan at my mechanic's shop.

Awesome ride
I thought I did a good job on mine :)

You did do a good job. So did I on mine. Ted had the full resources of Donzi to build a custom hull though.

CHACHI
03-22-2016, 05:39 PM
That Cig is in Canada.....that could be Canadian dollars.

Ken

DONZI-DON
03-22-2016, 06:57 PM

So Ted was the original owner builder, Sold it.....Bought it back and it only has 16 hours on her???? That's a lot a bread to never make a sandwich.

And they call me crazy :bonk:

JParanee
03-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Yep. It was here in Michigan at my mechanic's shop.

You did do a good job. So did I on mine. Ted had the full resources of Donzi to build a custom hull though.

I can can believe it's still around

''if I had the extra funds I'd love it

roadtrip se
03-22-2016, 09:48 PM

Here lies the problem... Small world this Donzi planet..

Greg Guimond
03-26-2016, 07:12 AM
Very nice price drop on the Mr. X boat. Now $80k. I wonder if he did any slot mods to the keel's running surface. Incredible boat. That is going to make someone a very nice Easter gift.

Carl C
03-26-2016, 08:08 AM
I'm not aware of any design changes to the hull other than it being fully cored and vacuum bagged. I gave some serious thought into buying this boat but I have $100,000 into my '05 and did a lot of work getting it the way I wanted. Also I would rarely be able to run that boat to it's potential on the Great Lakes. This boat would be a much better deal for someone looking to get into a new 22 Classic. So much cheaper and better than a production boat built by Baja with a production catalyst engine ... As far as the low hours I don't believe the person who briefly owned it in Michigan ever got to run it. Ted was a lot of help to me during my repower to a 525 EFI while a lot of people just wanted to rag on me for not doing the offshore steering first.

roadtrip se
03-27-2016, 12:03 PM
The positives:

Cored and bagged, deck has been glassed at the seam. Blue-printed bottom. Offshore cradle. Heavy gimbal. ITS with XR Drive. Five Blade Hering. Ilmor 710. Capable of 97-100. I followed a lot of the recipe from this boat on my last re-rig and it works.

The negatives:

The boat has changed hands two times, going back to the original owner in a messy divorce deal, at a low-ball price.
The boat sat outside with a cover on it in Michigan at Orlandi Performance for almost a year. The IMCO add-on cavitation plate has pulled off a chunk of the drive upper and the only way to fix this properly is to replace the upper shell. The XR could go at any time. No one is going to insure it, which means cash is king to buy it.

Bring it all together:

The boat is pretty much what the owner says it is. It does not belong in the hands of a neophyte, which greatly reduces the demographic for it. Based on the fact that it is eight years old and has barely been run, an Ilmor-certified mechanic needs to go through it. The drive needs an inspection, and an upper shell swapped out for the old one, if the gears are okay. It also needs a little cosmetic paint and some gel work to stand tall. Figure $7-10K for all of this. I would price the boat at $55K.

Morgan's Cloud
03-27-2016, 12:20 PM
Just out of interest , does anyone know what the coring material used in the hull is ?

roadtrip se
03-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Just out of interest , does anyone know what the coring material used in the hull is ?

Core cell

Mr X
03-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Lots of "hearsay" about my boat all over the net. SOME accurate....MOST not.
If anyone is interested in the boat, come see it...the boat speaks for itself.

JParanee
03-29-2016, 09:13 AM
You have an awesome boat

I can't believe it's not gone

roadtrip se
03-29-2016, 08:54 PM
Lots of "hearsay" about my boat all over the net. SOME accurate....MOST not.
If anyone is interested in the boat, come see it...the boat speaks for itself.

I stand by my visual assessment of the boat. And I have no cat in this one. Ted, if you have addressed the issues I saw a year ago, then good for you, as you know they are there. As for discrediting my assessment, well that is up to the buyer when they check your stuff out. I have a significant powered Donzi as well, rigged with some of your ideas, and I know what it needs to be a safe runner. Cheers!

gold-n-rod
04-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Wow. NOT :cool!:

joseph m. hahnl
04-09-2016, 11:12 AM
The narcissist speaks. :worthy:

Carl C
04-09-2016, 11:15 AM

Yeah, pretty crappy to come on here and say that this boat has "issues".

roadtrip se
04-09-2016, 05:30 PM

Joe, I have never met you, maybe I will some day, but your characterization of me couldn't be further from the truth, so save it for somebody that really cares.

Normally, I would not say a word about anybody's boat for sale. I stopped just this kind of thing when I moderated the boat for sale ads here for several years.
But, this boat has a lot of history, I know it well, and I have assessed its condition personally.

Have any of you actually looked this boat over? Or actually intend to buy it? Probably neither. I didn't say don't buy it, I gave my assessment and valued it, nothing more. Take it or leave it, your choice.

duckhunter
04-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Bottom line up front (BLUF), I dig the Ilmor boat and have admired it for years. It's truly a legit candidate for the ultimate 22 Donzi. However, comma, and FWIW, when someone advertises a relatively high-$$ item like this in a relatively small community, there's a good the chance that folks know the details, good or bad. I'd argue that it's a unique buy for sure, but that the buyer should do their due diligence. Hell, I do that for a brand-new $7k lawnmower with a factory warranty, much less a used $80k high-performance boat.

Again, not throwing any stones at the boat, the seller, or anything else. It's a beautiful piece, and would be almost impossible to replicate at the asking price. Just saying that it's a well-known boat in this community and that it's on the prospective buyer to do their due diligence. If I were in the market I'd be grateful to get all of the facts and opinion available, and it's ultimately on the buyer to determine fact from fiction. I'd also rather hear facts vs. teenage girl drama. Ilmor V10 in a core-hull 22 Donzi with impeccable rigging is both killer and expensive. Fact. XR drive with that power is a limitation. Fact. Got not issues with most of the analysis that has happened on this thread and others with this [again] well-known Donzi.

Good luck with the sale of this impressive boat.