PDA

View Full Version : Faded red stripe on 2000 18 foot Classic

Capevettes
03-18-2016, 08:16 AM
After doing everything short of painting the faded red stripe on my 2000 18 foot Classic (buff polish, wet sand), I have decided to paint it. The wet sanding and polishing worked for a while but the sun faded it again last year.

Does anyone know what type of paint should be used and what the color codes are? Is it a special paint designed for the marine environment?

Thanks, Paul

Hilltopper
03-18-2016, 10:09 AM
My C22 red hull and deck stripe were done professionally using several red Awlgrip and nine, yes nine Awlgrip clear coat with work between coats. The depth is "Hot Rod" and you can stick you finger into it. Red gel coat pigments changed are not good.

Capevettes
03-18-2016, 12:28 PM
My C22 red hull and deck stripe were done professionally using several red Awlgrip and nine, yes nine Awlgrip clear coat with work between coats. The depth is "Hot Rod" and you can stick you finger into it. Red gel coat pigments changed are not good.

Thanks for your reply. I just went onto the Awlgrip site and there are several reds. Vivid Red looks close but it's hard to tell. Do you know which is correct? Does 1 quart of color and 1 quart of clear get it done?

Greg Guimond
03-18-2016, 12:35 PM
You might also pm Mr. Carter. He has done a ton of research on reds.

Bobby D
03-18-2016, 12:52 PM
If it’s only the deck strip you want to address you may want to consider vinyl. Many colors to choose from and installation by a professional will not take long. A guy in my boat house had is hull done this way, it was a red boat that had faded to a pink color and once the vendor installed the vinyl the difference was like day and night, turned out very nice.

Capevettes
03-18-2016, 12:59 PM
You might also pm Mr. Carter. He has done a ton of research on reds.

OK, will do. Thanks.

Capevettes
03-18-2016, 01:00 PM
If it’s only the deck strip you want to address you may want to consider vinyl. Many colors to choose from and installation by a professional will not take long. A guy in my boat house had is hull done this way, it was a red boat that had faded to a pink color and once the vendor installed the vinyl the difference was like day and night, turned out very nice.

I did consider the vinyl stripe as an option. Who sells the correct width stripe?

Hilltopper
03-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Thanks for your reply. I just went onto the Awlgrip site and there are several reds. Vivid Red looks close but it's hard to tell. Do you know which is correct? Does 1 quart of color and 1 quart of clear get it done?

Because I was redoing all the red including hull and stripe, I went with a darker, "richer" red Awlgrip and ordered darker matching red upholstery including the first new front high backs from Josh at Donzi Direct and those are mine I allowed him to use on his website. BTW, I have the original red complete set, for sale later this Spring when I get back up North. PM me if interested.

CHACHI
03-18-2016, 03:14 PM
I did consider the vinyl stripe as an option. Who sells the correct width stripe?
I would imagine the vinyl shop can cut it any width you want.

Ken

3rdDonzi
03-18-2016, 08:01 PM
Had same problem and went with vinyl too. Couldn't be happier!

JParanee
03-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Had same problem and went with vinyl too. Couldn't be happier!

Man that looks great

3rdDonzi
03-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Had the same as you. The yellow just wouldn't wake up no matter what we tried. Had center stripe, waterline and bordering pinstripes all done for $500 which I think is reasonable. The guy is an artist. Don't know how he does it but you can't even notice around the lifting rings that it has been cut. I was told that they use the same material on billboards out west and it lasts over 20 years in the desert sun.... Don't know where you are located but I'm in the Charlotte NC area. The guy that did mine primarily does work for the NASCAR teams. All the cars are vinyl these days.

3rdDonzi
03-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Oh yea, forgot to mention, it comes in a roll and he cuts it.

Just Say N20
03-18-2016, 09:37 PM
Very, very impressive!

Capevettes
03-19-2016, 07:15 AM
That vinyl looks great. I may go with that instead of painting. Sounds like it lasts quite a while.

Thanks all for your input. I appreciate it.

Greg Guimond
03-19-2016, 07:21 AM
I would never have thought that vinyl would hold up to salt water and sun but clearly I'm wrong. Sounds like a quick remedy to a nagging problem on many classics. Let us know how you make out. I'm sure to properly prep and paint that stripe would be $800-$900.

Capevettes
03-19-2016, 09:34 AM
I would never have thought that vinyl would hold up to salt water and sun but clearly I'm wrong. Sounds like a quick remedy to a nagging problem on many classics. Let us know how you make out. I'm sure to properly prep and paint that stripe would be $800-$900.

I will let everyone know how I make out.

I'm still not clear on how I get this vinyl. Do I need to find a local vinyl expert that can cut a piece and apply it or is there a company that sells the vinyl stripe for this boat? If there is, I can't find it.

3rdDonzi
03-19-2016, 09:50 AM
If you want to get in touch with the guy who did mine let me know, I'm sure I can find his number. He's a good guy and I'm sure he could answer any questions you have.

Capevettes
03-19-2016, 10:09 AM
If you want to get in touch with the guy who did mine let me know, I'm sure I can find his number. He's a good guy and I'm sure he could answer any questions you have.

Thanks but I'm up here on Cape Cod Mass. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk with him.

3rdDonzi
03-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Check your private messages.

Greg Guimond
03-19-2016, 12:57 PM

I would think that having a guy with the deep experience of yours counts for a lot. If the vinyl will withstand Nascar speeds that boy knows his stuff! Curious, can they do vinyl in a solid color on a hull side or is it more for stripes and graphics?

CHACHI
03-19-2016, 03:26 PM
Capevetts, go to a local sign shop that wraps cars/trucks.

They can hook you up.

Ken

3rdDonzi
03-19-2016, 06:50 PM
I would think that having a guy with the deep experience of yours counts for a lot. If the vinyl will withstand Nascar speeds that boy knows his stuff! Curious, can they do vinyl in a solid color on a hull side or is it more for stripes and graphics?

Yessir, It's hard to believe what they do with the cars. They can do complete cars with all the curves, nooks and crannies. I'm sure that the solid side of boats would be a snap!

Capevettes
03-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Capevetts, go to a local sign shop that wraps cars/trucks.

They can hook you up.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I was talking to a friend yesterday who has a possible installer here on the Cape.

I want to get it done right away because I want to get the boat in the water early (even though we may get a foot of snow tonight).

Bobby D
03-21-2016, 11:59 AM
3rdDonzi,
Well done your boat looks fantastic, based on the overall condition it’s obvious that you take care and maintain your boat. The red boat I posted about is always stored with a oversized full cover and was in excellent condition. The only issue was faded sides were it was exposed to the sun about half way down. Much like your boat the transformation was dramatic and who ever installed the vinyl knows his trade.
Question did you install the rub rail or did the boat come that way?
Regards,
Bobby D

3rdDonzi
03-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I must admit she has a very easy life and I'm a bit OCD with the upkeep.
Everything on it is bone stock the way it came from the factory in '95.
3d

gcarter
03-22-2016, 06:39 AM
Vinyl would definately be cheaper than paint!

Capevettes
03-22-2016, 07:25 AM

Striking out on installers on Cape Cod. One vinyl guy recommended painting it with Imron??

3rdDonzi
03-22-2016, 08:31 AM

No doubt but after my experience I would go with vinyl even if the cost were higher. Not to mention if it were scratched or damaged it could be repaired very easily and cheap.
I had an X18 back in the '80s that was Imron. Looked OK but I've seen better.

3rdDonzi
03-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Striking out on installers on Cape Cod. One vinyl guy recommended painting it with Imron??

I would think that surely sombody in the Boston area does it.
3d

gcarter
03-22-2016, 09:18 AM
If it is to be paint, I'd suggest a single stage acrylic/polyurethane automotive paint like
BASF R-M UNO HD. Since it's an automotive paint, it's blendable unlike Imron, yet still has the strength and durability of being an acrylic/polyurethane like Imron.
I painted my former Minx in this paint more than ten years ago. I've seen it recently and it still looks new. A quart w/catalyst and reducer is probably in the $350-$400 range...maybe a bit more.

Capevettes
03-22-2016, 03:25 PM
I would think that surely sombody in the Boston area does it.
3d

You're probably right. I was hoping to do it here on the Cape rather than lugging the boat up there.

Capevettes
03-22-2016, 03:26 PM
If it is to be paint, I'd suggest a single stage acrylic/polyurethane automotive paint like
BASF R-M UNO HD. Since it's an automotive paint, it's blendable unlike Imron, yet still has the strength and durability of being an acrylic/polyurethane like Imron.
I painted my former Minx in this paint more than ten years ago. I've seen it recently and it still looks new. A quart w/catalyst and reducer is probably in the $350-$400 range...maybe a bit more.

George, thanks very much for the detailed info. If I end up painting it, this sound great.

Fishermanjm
04-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Capevetts, I'm lookin into vinyl also I'm in riverside ri. Let me know what u find
i will do the same. Maybe we can find a two for one deal

Capevettes
04-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Capevetts, I'm lookin into vinyl also I'm in riverside ri. Let me know what u find
i will do the same. Maybe we can find a two for one deal

I will let you know. I have a vinyl guy that was recommended to me that lives here on the Cape. He says he can do it but not until the first week of May because he's in Fla. now. I also have a paint guy who may be able to do it. I was hoping to get it done and get the boat in the water by the end of April. I should have some info for you soon.

MDonziM
04-06-2016, 09:28 PM
I had a red deck stripe on my 22 that was repainted before I bought the boat. Good paint definitely holds up better than gel on the deck. I have red stripes on my magnum (pictured) which is PPG and has held up well after 5 years. However, I will say I'm a fan of vinyl which I was skeptical of before trying it. The "Starfire" lettering is vinyl which is very durable and very inexpensive versus paint in my application. I had to replace one letter that got marred and it cost $10. My only concern for vinyl on your boat is the surface prep required to get the stripe to hold well, my letters went on a fresh painted surface.

Capevettes
04-07-2016, 06:22 AM
Looks nice. I did wonder about how well the vinyl will hold when you're going 60-70 mph.

yeller
04-07-2016, 12:29 PM
After I replaced the deck on my boat, the best price I could find to repaint my deck/boot stripes and engine hatch logo was $3000. Vinyl was $175 (not installed). I installed it myself. It was easy to do and adhesion was not an issue. Everyone is surprised to find out it is vinyl. They always think it is paint.
While doing all the work for my engine swap, I damaged the vinyl is several places, so I am replacing it. I can't justify $3000 for paint. I thought about painting it myself. I believe the paint would cost me around $600. I can justify $600, but not the time it would take. I'm tired of working on my boat. I just want to use it.
If you can get over the stigma attached to using vinyl, it is an excellent option. You can replace it a multitude of times compared to the cost of paint. Vinyl won't last as long as paint, but it is easily and economically replaceable.

If money and/or time are not a concern, then I'd paint. If you want the same look as paint and aren't concerned with redoing it in 4~5yrs, then go vinyl. I eventually plan to paint mine, but for now, vinyl is an excellent option for me.

joseph m. hahnl
04-07-2016, 07:11 PM
I'm in the process of restoring the gloss to my transom. The 3m compound is amazing followed by there glaze. I am going to clear coat for UV protection. when I looked for paint Awlgrip and Imron were not recommended for below waterline applications. I found a 1 part clear from the bottom paint store. It can also be applied by the tip and roll method. just waiting for the weather to cooperate :kingme: Hopefully it will work out:crossfing:

http://www.bottompaintstore.com/topside-boat-paint-above-or-below-the-waterline-c-13630_13804.html

Capevettes
04-08-2016, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have one vinyl guy ready to do it the 1st week in May. A paint guy says he can bring out the shine by spraying clear coat on it?

MDonziM
04-08-2016, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure you can clear over gelcote... and yes, my vinyl lettering has had no issues with 80+ speeds.

Capevettes
04-12-2016, 08:20 AM
I'm in the process of restoring the gloss to my transom. The 3m compound is amazing followed by there glaze. I am going to clear coat for UV protection. when I looked for paint Awlgrip and Imron were not recommended for below waterline applications. I found a 1 part clear from the bottom paint store. It can also be applied by the tip and roll method. just waiting for the weather to cooperate :kingme: Hopefully it will work out:crossfing:

http://www.bottompaintstore.com/topside-boat-paint-above-or-below-the-waterline-c-13630_13804.html

Joseph, This is interesting to me. If I bought the clear coat, what kind of prep work would I need to do before applying it? Have you done it yet? I assume I would have to strip the wax that's on the stripe now?

The vinyl guy I was referred to said he can't do it and the guy that was going to clear coat it has disappeared. That's Cape Cod for you!!

gcarter
04-12-2016, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure you can clear over gelcote... and yes, my vinyl lettering has had no issues with 80+ speeds.

I believe Marshall is correct. Clears are designed to work in a "system"...to be applied over the base it was designed for.
There are clear gels, but they tend to turn yellow (I think) after some time.

JParanee
04-12-2016, 10:44 AM
I don't think you can clear over gel coat like paint

s0mewhere in my boats history someone cleared over the vinyl letters (name) on transom

what a mess

I had to wet sand the area to remove all the clear

it was yellowing and chipping

Capevettes
04-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. I guess the clear coat is out. I think I will probably give it a good buffing and live with it this summer. I do have a guy that can paint it in September when I pull it.

FarPoint
01-07-2017, 01:25 PM
I know this is an old topic, but I'm trolling old posts for info.
G8555785558lad I found this thread, as I recently acquired a 22 Classic. w red stripe.
I'm going to try an attach a pic of the Skater - it's actually an all white boat. All the graphics are vinyl.
Other than the odd rub mark, I have no complaints.
And it's usually only in Poker Runs so travelling fast.
Didn't really think about it, but took it out on a below freezing day and hit 106 MPH - nothing peeled off.

blacktruck
02-27-2017, 10:11 PM
What did you end up doing? The vinyl can be ordered online, it's cheap and lots of shops do it for cars so easy to find someone to do it. 3M even sells it in different widths, so you may not even need to cut it. Very easy to install, super durable and can peel off if you don't like it. For a stripe it's probably $30 of material.

My car had chrome trim and I blacked it out with Vinyl, this was tedious because of the cutting but the stripe on the deck is easy. If you are going to paint, Awlgrip is awesome.

Capevettes
02-28-2017, 06:06 AM
I am having the installer that did the Expel protectant on my Z06 Vette and Viper recently, put the clear protectant on the stripe. I am going to buff it out again and while it's shiny, have him apply the clear Expel. He said it will make it look shinier and keep it that way. I will do it in April before it goes in the water. I will take pics. The other option was having him cut a piece in red and apply it.

Capevettes
02-28-2017, 06:09 AM
The guy does great work and comes to the house.