PDA

View Full Version : question on value of 93 Donzi 22 OMC King Cobra

JayZ
02-17-2016, 07:43 PM
so.... I'm thinking of selling my Donzi 22. It's a 93 Chris Craft built OMC version with the King Cobra. It's only a couple hull numbers away from Dr. Dan's "famous" 22 and mine lived a sheltered life garage stored for most of it's 23 years with a brief interruption where it was stored in a covered boat house. ...history is somewhere on the board here. Canada boat then Florida now Texas.

Engine was bought new by me and is a fairly fresh 502 Marine engine from 1800 Runsnew. It's got 2 seasons or so on it but no hour meter and just a stock motor with mild cam and Holley 780 carb with edelebrock intake. It has a closed cooling system on in from Monitor ...like what George Carter and alot of others around here have been using.

All of the obsolete OMC stuff has been removed and replaced with off the shelf parts. The spitfire ignition was replaced with a DUI Marine distributor, shift interrupt from CDI (off the shelf) The impeller/water pump that was obsolete but I think may now be back in productions is now a crank mounted pump with standard off the shelf stuff. It all works great.

It has the Shelby Pod and Livorsi Twin shift set up with Teal accents.

It's still running the viper 21 prop that it came with and has crazy hole shot. It accelerates better than a friends built monster but he pulls away after about 70. Best GPS has been 71 but it is an honest 68 all day long boat with the prop on it now.

Gel Coat is all original and in good shape but the center deck stripe needs to be polished each season. if I keep it I'll either re-gel the stripe, or put a vinyl stripe on it.

The dash needs to be cleaned up to make it really nice but it's a pretty nice little boat.

I know the OMC part makes it a unique boat and in many ways better than Mercruiser but might also effect sales price.

It sounds like I just wrote and ad for the boat but really just wanted to get some input on a fair number for the boat.

...Has an aluminum tandem axle trailer from some company in Florida but can't remember the name right now.

Greg Guimond
02-18-2016, 09:04 AM
I have found over the years that a 16 is worth $10k, an 18 is worth $15k, and a 22 is worth $20k. All of these are based on fairly standard boats that are in nice "turn key" shape.

BUIZILLA
02-18-2016, 05:08 PM
I have found over the years that a 16 is worth $10k, an 18 is worth $15k, and a 22 is worth $20k. All of these are based on fairly standard boats that are in nice "turn key" shape.
IMHO, your 30-40% low..

woobs
02-18-2016, 06:01 PM
We would all love to think our boats are worth more. Much more. Even more so as we love the brand, the history, the style, the hull design and yes, the Donzi name. But those that are not brand die-hards (i.e. most of the market) don't see them that way.

Greg's numbers are ballpark give or take regional differences and condition modifiers.
Around here, I regularly see 16's between $7 - 9,000 to as high as $15,000. I sold my '82 18 for $12,500 and was right on the money (although I've seen people asking "Muskoka" money for them too...). I have also watched a few 22s go between $20,000 and $24,000 over the past few years but that doesn't stop someone from listing their gold plated Donzi 22 at $35,000+.

Just be realistic. It is a nice, well kept 23 year old boat. In the market, I think it takes a wee hit due to the OMC no matter what the die-hards say. I'm sure you have a number in mind that your "happy" with... One you are "over the moon" thrilled to get and an "I'll take" number too. Balance those with your sales ability and your buyer and you're golden. If you're wrong (too high) it just takes longer to sell and you may need to adjust your thinking...too low and you'll have a line up to buy.... but, nobody's forcing you to sell.

Good luck!

gcarter
02-18-2016, 06:05 PM
I want it to be more!

woobs
02-18-2016, 06:09 PM
I want it to be more!

George, I think your boat qualifies for "more"... it's top of the range :)
Not your average "survivor" 22....

need for speed
02-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Still looking good!!!!

joseph m. hahnl
02-18-2016, 09:11 PM
http://boats.iboats.com/donzi-marine-boats/:kingme:

Greg Guimond
02-18-2016, 09:57 PM
I want it to be more!

Mr. Carter, your boat is a one of a kind in so many ways that it is certainly worth $40,000. With your boat the issue is ...... you simply can't buy another one like it.

Greg Guimond
02-18-2016, 10:18 PM
IMHO, your 30-40% low..

I'd like to agree but I doubt it. The 22 Classic is an even tougher one to figure. It has a lot of competition at the same size unlike the 16, and 18. Below are two examples of 10 year "newer" 24 degree boats of the same size. The Progression runs 90mph & the Intimidator runs 96mph. Speeds are GPS, both boats are mint, and the prices are asking. You can also buy a 70mph Team Warlock 23 Offshore for $15k if you prefer I/O power.

2006 22' Progression, Marine machine steering, Yamaha 300 hpdi fresh Hydrotec Phase 3 motor 13 hours on it, Fat shaft sho lower, 2006 aluminum load rite trailer, $34k

2003 21’ Red Intimidator, Merc 300x with 15 hours (10 hours) 15” mid custom built, external steering, race hatch and full canvas, Galvanized single axle trailer, mint, $30k

Ghost
02-18-2016, 10:44 PM
I think there is a good bit of range, based on age and condition. Even for "turn-key" boats. Down near Greg's numbers and slightly below, and up in Jim's. Woobs's ranges reflect that.

Also think the other brands Greg is listing are only sort-of competition for the potential Classic buyer's dollar. Some guys are looking for speed in any package, so maybe. But I think a lot of real Donzi shoppers would not be that interested in those other sorts of makes. So, comparing prices there may not mean a whole lot.

DONZI-DON
02-18-2016, 10:47 PM

I would BUY every SWEET 16 in Excellent shape for $10K ALL DAY LONG! You can't find them.

Speaking from experience. I SOLD a SWEET 16 2 years ago. Keep in mind they don't make these anymore and what the price was back when they did was NOT CHEAP. If it's a TRUE DONZI meaning the Hull# starts with DNA and in excellent shape based on the one I sold which you can view in my aviator.

A Excellent SWEET 16 - I got $19,500 for mine. 1st guy that looked at it bought it with CASH that day.

A Excellent Classic 18 - Just had this one end on EBay tonight (2/19/2016) $23,600.00 I didn't sell it I wanted $25,000.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291682919376?ssPageName=STRK:MEUNSOLD:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649

A Excellent 22 such as yours I would guess low $28,000.00 - $30,000.00

Price out a HORNET 17 which a copy cat of a DONZI. I just priced one out last night and they want $48K. I dn't see them selling many. JMO

Greg Guimond
02-18-2016, 10:53 PM
I would BUY every SWEET 16 in Excellent shape for $10K ALL DAY LONG! You can't find them.

Really? There are a dozen Sweet 16's out there in different areas of the country in excellent shape right now for $10-$11k.

Ghost
02-18-2016, 10:58 PM
Again, I think there's range in age and condition. What's "excellent?" Is it a 1990+ boat that's been trailer kept? Very different from a 70s boat that might have lived in the water for years and might need a gas tank anytime. The latter might be polished and gorgeous, with all systems working. But a very different prospect for the buyer than a 20-year old or newer boat that's never lived off a trailer.

Greg Guimond
02-18-2016, 11:00 PM
I'm thinking of selling my Donzi 22. It's a 93 Chris Craft built OMC version with the King Cobra.

I'm no expert when it comes to locating clean boats so maybe you list it for $30,000 as DONZI DON says on both Ebay and here .......... and see how you do. GLWS :yes:

JParanee
02-18-2016, 11:38 PM
Mines a 96

When I started looking for a 22 I had some requirements

I wanted a boat that was a fresh water boat ..... When buying a 20 year old boat you have to really check this out even if the seller tells you it's only been ran in fresh ..... 20 years is long time and who knows where it's been

I also wanted something special in an engine

since a boat lives a very large part of its life on a trailer this too was important to me

I'm the one that seems to always be pulling someone's something ..... Must be the duelie :) so I know what I want in a trailer

on a boat this small a trailer is not as important as for a large boat but to me it's still very important

So the boat I picked up meet these requirements

I got it upstate NY the boat showed no signs of salt water and if it was it was maintained. The hull looked good with minimal spider cracking in the gel in the cockpit

the blue motor was very clean and showed no signs of salt water use and was freshly redone

the trailer was an aluminum I beam trailer rated for a boat two thousand pounds heavier and fairly new with perfect aluminum rims etc

so this boat meet my criteria as a good starting point ..... Plus I liked the color :)

I paid 27 k for it knowing I would put more in it

the year hull ...the motor .....and the trailer made the boat worth it to me. It also had a brand new mooring and cockpit cover

as you can see in my other thread I'm putting a lot into it

I'm very detail oriented and will probable have 8 to 10 k more into it

is this boat going to be worth the 35 to 37 I have into it ?

Probale not....but Im building it for me and I'm looking to keep it so I am good with it

I believe the way the boat is now that from the right buyer I could break 30 k and if I had to sell it I'm okay with a 5 k or so lose. I really enjoyed the project

when I was looking I saw a few 22's that looked nice but I would of wanted to upgrade the motor etc...that right there is a big hit

this boat was a great starting point hitting 3 big points hull, trailer , engine

your boat sounds very nice and I would say low to mid 20's would be a fair price

DONZI-DON
02-19-2016, 12:20 AM
Really? There are a dozen Sweet 16's out there in different areas of the country in excellent shape right now for $10-$11k.

Im not kidding. Try and find me or send me one on the internet that I don't have to drive half way accross the country to pick up and I'll BUY IT. If it's in EXCELLENT Condition. I'll even go as high as $12,500.00. That's $2,500 more than what you say.

This one just sold last week on EBay. This is a SWEET 16 that SOLD for $23,500.00 - And this is my idea of EXCELLENT SHAPE.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281923904023?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

BUIZILLA
02-19-2016, 04:11 AM
I'd like to agree but I doubt it. The 22 Classic is an even tougher one to figure. It has a lot of competition at the same size unlike the 16, and 18. Below are two examples of 10 year "newer" 24 degree boats of the same size. The Progression runs 90mph & the Intimidator runs 96mph. Speeds are GPS, both boats are mint, and the prices are asking. You can also buy a 70mph Team Warlock 23 Offshore for $15k if you prefer I/O power.

2006 22' Progression, Marine machine steering, Yamaha 300 hpdi fresh Hydrotec Phase 3 motor 13 hours on it, Fat shaft sho lower, 2006 aluminum load rite trailer, $34k

2003 21’ Red Intimidator, Merc 300x with 15 hours (10 hours) 15” mid custom built, external steering, race hatch and full canvas, Galvanized single axle trailer, mint, $30k
I know of several mid 90's 22's that sold for the high 20's, Tidbarts is the perfect example. There are more that sell elsewhere's than here that have commanded the money.

the problem with your thinking Greg, is your ALWAYS confusing facts with irrelevant fantasy. See above.
With the said, when was the last time you actually bought a Donzi??

I rest my case.

JParanee
02-19-2016, 06:44 AM
Man you guys are making me feel good about what I have into mine :)

Pat McPherson
02-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Mines a 96

When I started looking for a 22 I had some requirements

I wanted a boat that was a fresh water boat ..... When buying a 20 year old boat you have to really check this out even if the seller tells you it's only been ran in fresh ..... 20 years is long time and who knows where it's been

I also wanted something special in an engine

since a boat lives a very large part of its life on a trailer this too was important to me

I'm the one that seems to always be pulling someone's something ..... Must be the duelie :) so I know what I want in a trailer

on a boat this small a trailer is not as important as for a large boat but to me it's still very important

So the boat I picked up meet these requirements

I got it upstate NY the boat showed no signs of salt water and if it was it was maintained. The hull looked good with minimal spider cracking in the gel in the cockpit

the blue motor was very clean and showed no signs of salt water use and was freshly redone

the trailer was an aluminum I beam trailer rated for a boat two thousand pounds heavier and fairly new with perfect aluminum rims etc

so this boat meet my criteria as a good starting point ..... Plus I liked the color :)

I paid 27 k for it knowing I would put more in it

the year hull ...the motor .....and the trailer made the boat worth it to me. It also had a brand new mooring and cockpit cover

as you can see in my other thread I'm putting a lot into it

I'm very detail oriented and will probable have 8 to 10 k more into it

is this boat going to be worth the 35 to 37 I have into it ?

Probale not....but Im building it for me and I'm looking to keep it so I am good with it

I believe the way the boat is now that from the right buyer I could break 30 k and if I had to sell it I'm okay with a 5 k or so lose. I really enjoyed the project

when I was looking I saw a few 22's that looked nice but I would of wanted to upgrade the motor etc...that right there is a big hit

this boat was a great starting point hitting 3 big points hull, trailer , engine

your boat sounds very nice and I would say low to mid 20's would be a fair price

When I bought my 22 Donzi:
Low hours - 199
Big Block Bravo - 502 Mag B1
Good Trailer - Alum tandem
Color - White with blue stripes. Would not have bought a boat with colored sides unless repainted
Extra goodies - Gill Exhaust, K-Planes, MSD, and...
Price - under 25K
Location - under 350mile so I picked her up myself

As many of you know, I'm looking to down size my 22 to an 18. I'm not going to sell my boat at a big lose to do it though...

DONZI-DON
02-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Man you guys are making me feel good about what I have into mine :)

I say it all the time. The BEST prediction of history is PAST history. I am by NO Means an expert on boats. But what I can tell you is I have owned a couple of these in (Classics) the last 3 years and I only buy MINT stuff i.e. cars, boats, etc. Every DONZI I have had so far people come up to me at the laucn dock and tell me if your ever gonna sell that thing let me know.

I'm not even trying hard to sell this boat. It's only in 2 publications one is EBay. I would bet by Middle of March it's gone and I get my price. JParanee hold strong at your price. Someone who appreciates it will come along. I dont think $30K is bad if it shows as mint and it has no issues.

Pat McPherson
02-19-2016, 08:05 AM
I say it all the time. The BEST prediction of history is PAST history. I am by NO Means an expert on boats. But what I can tell you is I have owned a couple of these in (Classics) the last 3 years and I only buy MINT stuff i.e. cars, boats, etc. Every DONZI I have had so far people come up to me at the laucn dock and tell me if your ever gonna sell that thing let me know.

I'm not even trying hard to sell this boat. It's only in 2 publications one is EBay. I would bet by Middle of March it's gone and I get my price. JParanee hold strong at your price. Someone who appreciates it will come along. I dont think $30K is bad if it shows as mint and it has no issues.

My boat and trailer is a 8.5-9 out of 10...

JParanee
02-19-2016, 08:30 AM
When I bought my 22 Donzi:
Low hours - 199
Big Block Bravo - 502 Mag B1
Good Trailer - Alum tandem
Color - White with blue stripes. Would not have bought a boat with colored sides unless repainted
Extra goodies - Gill Exhaust, K-Planes, MSD, and...
Price - under 25K
Location - under 350mile so I picked her up myself

As many of you know, I'm looking to down size my 22 to an 18. I'm not going to sell my boat at a big lose to do it though...

Pat

sounds like you and I think alike :)

JParanee
02-19-2016, 08:38 AM

Don

heck I just got this one I'm not about to sell it yet :)

I agree though

I just sold a 15 year old Contender

the boat was spot on and maintained meticulously

eventually the right guy came round and appreciated what it was and paid my price

DONZI-DON
02-19-2016, 09:05 AM
My boat and trailer is a 8.5-9 out of 10...

Have you tried EBay? When you list anything you are selling ALWAYS take advantage of the listing it self. If they (EBay) allows you 24 pictures, list 24 pictures NOT 3 or 5. THAT'S A BIG MISTAKE PEOPLE MAKE. Also make sure your pictures are CLEAR, HD, an close enough to show detail or defects.

woobs
02-19-2016, 09:20 AM
When I look to value a boat type I look at the average user boat. Not restored, not rebuilt, not a perfect trailer queen on a perfect trailer, not upgraded and modified... used. Stock. With expected seasonal maintenance performed. This is the ballpark.

If I'm looking at a 25 year old boat with no sealing of the deck fittings, no new transom, no new stringers, and regular wear and tear I value it as a BASELINE survivor. Then I consider what equipment the boat has, what condition it is in, what it currently requires to make it serviceable/reliable or up to what standard I can live with. Then I look at what it will need and when (i.e. seats recovered, polishing...etc) to determine the real short term costs. A restored boat is a different thing altogether where you must consider when the restoration was performed, how extensive was it, who did the work and to what standards and what if anything still needs to be done. Here you're looking for perfection and will pay for it.

I have no issue with a properly restored 22 being north of $30,000 (even way north) but, imho there is no such thing as a 25 year old stock survivor boat in that price category no matter how nice it looks on the outside. Especially if it has seen saltwater.

BTW, I saw a running X18 in Florida listed for $6,500 that wasn't worth anywhere near the asking. There's examples of all kinds of boats at all prices and that's why you need information and treat every boat individually.

Other issues include peoples differences in their idea of what "excellent" condition is and the caveats that accompany this term. Also, value as determined by other owners or those that regularly "flip" boats (as they look to protect their investment/income) may skew the valuation. For these reasons you must do your own evaluation and consider the opinions of others as tertiary information considering their perspective.

Personally, as far as 22s go.... I have no skin in the game. :)

JayZ
02-19-2016, 11:32 AM
All great information here guys. I am usually just a word of mouth kind of guy when it comes to selling stuff. I'll probably try that first and then list it if I commit to selling it.

Thanks all,

Jay