PDA

View Full Version : Skeg gaurd.

joseph m. hahnl
02-07-2016, 10:52 AM
I'm Wondering if any one has tried or is using a skeg guard with the fin at the bottom. any negative or positive gains. If I recall correctly it was needed for bow lift for the infamouse:rolleyes: X18's surface drive.

f_inscreenname
02-07-2016, 08:35 PM
got a picture?

joseph m. hahnl
02-08-2016, 05:56 PM
got a picture?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FsoAAOSwoydWmQRY/s-l1600.jpg

Pat McPherson
02-09-2016, 12:42 PM
My Bravo drive had one when I bought my boat. I ran the boat for the first year as is. I removed it the second year and saw it was covering a small mouse bite in the fin of the drive. I ground the mouse bit smooth and painted. I think I gained speed without, but not much...

Gerk
02-10-2016, 10:51 AM
I was going to ask the same thing.
Although I have the volvo AQ 270/280

The skeg was shaved down when it dragged on the ground during delivery.
It seems like there is some handling issues even though I don't "think" it was shaved too much.
You can see in the pic.(sorry not a great pic)

do they make such a thing for the AQ?
Should I just replace the lower unit?
Weld on larger?
Leave it?

Very sorry if I am hijacking thread.83798

joseph m. hahnl
02-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Some one must make one for a Volvo:confused:. I wouldn't go as far as replacing the lower unit. They make two types of the bolt on skeg guards with and with out the lower fin. I thought that the fin might add bow lift like it did for the Mouse. I just purchased a lower unit for my Alpha. There where a couple lowers that had the finned skeg guard. Two things I look at when looking at used lower units is if the drive struck something "which is where the skeg guard comes into play" Or a chipped OEM skeg. and 2nd if it was on a V8 Boat. I try to steer away from those as V8's are tough on the forward gear side of the lower:biggrin.: