PDA

View Full Version : Bravo 1 shifting

txtaz
02-02-2016, 03:05 PM
I installed a new shifter with a short shift handle and really noticed hard shifting into reverse. Harder than forward. I tore the drive apart and disconnected the shift cable at the shift linkage and the shift is smooth in both directions.
After breaking out the Mercruiser service manual, thanks to Don Tamm via a Farmer, and searching out hard shifting, it looks like there is an upgrade kit for the Bravo 1 drives.
My shift cam has part number 806790 and my drive is a 0L serial.
It looks like I need a YOKE & CAM ASSY Mercruiser 806552A1. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?
Thanks,
Taz

gcarter
02-02-2016, 04:32 PM
You need a puller to get the pivot pin out.
Otherwise, it's pretty straight forward.

yeller
02-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Have you confirmed your clutches are lined up correctly? If the "+" and "-" marks on the clutches are not lined up properly, it will cause shifting problems. I am a long way from an expert, but I have my doubts the upgrade would solve your problem, based on how many thousands of drives were built before that upgrade kit and are out there with no shifting problems.

If you do change it, as George implied, it is pretty easy. The puller is optional though. The pin is threaded in the top, so I just screwed a bolt into it and pulled it out.

txtaz
02-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Thanks guys.
I checked the part number in the upgrade kit and it is the same one in my drive. I slapped it back together, filled with new oil and I'll check it out soon.
I read something about not shifting a Bravo without the motor running. Not sure how accurate that is but it could make a difference.
Up next...more performance bling!!!
Taz

JParanee
02-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys.
I checked the part number in the upgrade kit and it is the same one in my drive. I slapped it back together, filled with new oil and I'll check it out soon.
I read something about not shifting a Bravo without the motor running. Not sure how accurate that is but it could make a difference.
Up next...more performance bling!!!
Taz

From what I understand it needs to be running or at least someone spinning the prop to engage

I thought you were running it

mine is tough going into reverse also unless you spin the prop

txtaz
02-04-2016, 05:41 AM
Thanks JP.
Hopefully I'll be on the water in a few weeks to test.

TBroccoli
02-04-2016, 12:02 PM
The engine needs to be running. I stretched my cables trying to shift without engine running. It is in the manual.