PDA

View Full Version : Help ID This Donzi

Greg Guimond
01-16-2016, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know the owner (or past owners) of this old Ski Sporter? Thx

mattyboy
01-17-2016, 10:52 AM
That's Bill's( just say n 20 ) friend's 74 ski sporter with an edrive upstate ny lake george area I think it may have made it to a dustoff 10 yrs or so ago

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?62929-1974-Donzi-Ski-Sporter-V8-E-drive-(NOT-MINE)&highlight=74+skisporter+edrive

Greg Guimond
01-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Thanks Matty

Just Say N20
01-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Greg, he is a good friend of mine.

He lives outside Stowe VT, and boats occasionally on Lake Champlain.

He put the boat up for sale several years ago. I listed it for him on here, it is a 1974 Ski-Sporter. The link Matty posted is to the ad for his boat on this site. Paul is the second owner, and it is still running the e-Drive.

Bill

09-27-2019, 08:54 AM
Check this one out...

I have checked under the front deck and behind the dash panel and can not find any signs of a hull ID. I did find holes that looks like where a windshield would've been mounted originally.

The boat has been painted and the motor and out drive changed.

Thanks for your time and help.

Sorry the pics are stupid and upside down, they are save in the correct position on my computer so I don't understand why they are uploading different.

mattyboy
09-27-2019, 12:09 PM
hopefully the right way try up by the bow eye backing plate for numbers

jl1962
09-27-2019, 07:00 PM
Funny - Matty’s pix upside down when I click, 45171 are right side up!
What a crazy world. :)

Better pictures might help narrow the range, gas tank may have a date, but will be inaccessible.....

09-27-2019, 07:22 PM

jl1962
09-27-2019, 07:28 PM
There may be a number behind the bow eye (where you would clip the trailer cable), not the lifting ring.

09-27-2019, 07:37 PM
There may be a number behind the bow eye (where you would clip the trailer cable), not the lifting ring.

09-27-2019, 07:47 PM
This is one of 3 definite markings I can find and the all look like number 10 and are spaced on each side and middle behind the instruments.

mattyboy
09-28-2019, 08:09 AM
is the deck cored? or is it solid glass?

09-28-2019, 10:29 AM
is the deck cored? or is it solid glass?

From what I know it’s solid glass. It all looks the same. And I see drip marks on the hull around most of the inside as if it was coated without separating the top from the bottom.

mattyboy
09-28-2019, 01:27 PM
are there pvc pipe supports going port to starboard?

09-28-2019, 01:39 PM
are there pvc pipe supports going port to starboard?

Negative. There’s nothing and it all looks the same as in the pics.

mattyboy
09-29-2019, 09:11 AM
the boat has been redone and i think what you are seeing is the results of that work. the early boats had balsa coring which was end cut so any moisture would wick up the entire grain then in 66 67 ish they used all glass no coring and pvc pipes glassed in to support the deck. the deck was held onto the hull by two sets of screws deck to hull thru a small ferring strip slot head screws then the screws thru the rub rail phillips head. they only glassed in 3 tabs around the floor locker and one or two up the ski locker

they didn't glass the deck hull joint that just didn't work with the mass production going on back then it could be done by a small framed person

are there deck vents?

this may help

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/16ident.pdf

mattyboy
09-29-2019, 09:25 AM
the hand written numbers can be hard to read if more glass was added also someone was leaning over they could be upside down or top to bottom so you have to look at them from all angles

here is what the numbers on the bow eye plate look like I was up there 2 times to tighten the bolts never saw them until I popped the deck

Morgan's Cloud
09-29-2019, 10:39 AM
That's a great example of what to look for in the bow eye area !
It also confirms that there wasn't any on mine either . At least I know what I didn't miss !

f_inscreenname
09-29-2019, 01:05 PM
Just a couple things with the red one. There is some craziness going on with it. Like the black dash board. A later one could have been painted (why would you paint chrome) but for the most part that is a sign of a mid 1960's boat. Then there is the chrome Donzi tag that is on the transom which is also a sign of a mid 60's boat. If I had to figure I would say there was two of them at one time and one got broke so they bought stickers being they are still available and a whole lot cheaper and for that matter they are not even real "Donzi" stickers. Either that or someone just couldn't resist wasting money on a badge that shouldn't be there. Next there is the lack of vents. Someone needs to look under the motor box deck and see how many vents it originally came with.
Number are normally here,

Also I would venture to say that the front deck is cored. The deck would be extremely soft without it and the picture shows woven roving mat. That would not be there is the core was missing.
Sadly even if you do find some numbers there is a good chance you will never figure them out. I took a hundred pictures and used my photo editor to blow up , change colors and lighting, etc, etc just to figure out mine. Even with the section of under deck cut out and sitting on the table behind me now without the editor I would never figured them out.
You can always check out mine. Just keep in mind it's 1966 when doing comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqEZIHkQUOU

mattyboy
09-30-2019, 10:04 AM
F'in

my 67 had that dash it is two pieces the black krinkle plate and a brushed stainless insert the same setup on the 18 but the shape was different

good luck with the project the 16 is a fun boat

09-30-2019, 06:48 PM
So disappointed. There were no numbers behind the hull hook mount from what I could see and here is a picture of it also.

The instrument panel is also a solid piece of metal, and does not have a crinkle textured finish.

Also there are not signs of any vents for top of the motor deck underneath. I did find a sticker with the TX ID on it under there.

What else is there to investigate on these boats?

mattyboy
10-01-2019, 08:08 AM
just another one that the hull number is unknown

the sticker is new looks to be a state issue HIN from Texas probably given when the boat was redone

the dash should be two metal pieces the black may or may not have a krinkle finish but there should be a brushed metal insert as well

mattyboy
10-01-2019, 08:16 AM
here's a pic of an early 16 with the brushed metal insert

10-01-2019, 09:30 AM
just another one that the hull number is unknown

the sticker is new looks to be a state issue HIN from Texas probably given when the boat was redone

the dash should be two metal pieces the black may or may not have a krinkle finish but there should be a brushed metal insert as well

So is it really the end of the road for being able to nail down a year & authenticity for this boat? And is it common for them to have an unknown hull number?

It was sold to me as a 1966 but the TX ID says its a 1960. It also shows a serial number of 13174225.

You are correct about the TX ID. And it must be missing the insert for the instrument panel.

mattyboy
10-01-2019, 10:41 AM
yes it is fairly common not to know the exact hull number or year of a pre HIN ( fall of 1972) boats . my 67 was registered and titled as a 1968 my 1968 was titled and registered as a 1969 the 1960 is meaningless and inaccurate Donzi started in fall of 64. these numbers and dates usually come from a little ol' gray haired lady working the line at the DMV

not knowing is a fact , especially in boats that have undergone a restoration with a repower with non era appropriate equipment any numbers that may have lead to an ID are long gone or covered up for good . my 69 was repowered but the original numbers on the bell housing were still there and match the original build card so the boat can be authenticated.

the 16 is not a rare boat by any means and authenticity will not have a lot to do with value overall condition is more of a factor in value. if you like the boat you like the boat they are fun boats use it enjoy it

10-01-2019, 11:22 AM
yes it is fairly common not to know the exact hull number or year of a pre HIN ( fall of 1972) boats . my 67 was registered and titled as a 1968 my 1968 was titled and registered as a 1969 the 1960 is meaningless and inaccurate Donzi started in fall of 64. these numbers and dates usually come from a little ol' gray haired lady working the line at the DMV

not knowing is a fact , especially in boats that have undergone a restoration with a repower with non era appropriate equipment any numbers that may have lead to an ID are long gone or covered up for good . my 69 was repowered but the original numbers on the bell housing were still there and match the original build card so the boat can be authenticated.

the 16 is not a rare boat by any means and authenticity will not have a lot to do with value overall condition is more of a factor in value. if you like the boat you like the boat they are fun boats use it enjoy it

So this is a good ol fashioned "it is what it is" situation and I can live with that. But if I can pick your brain a little more, would I be accurate to say that this boat is consistent with what was produced in 1966, because of the lack of vents on the engine deck?

Or is there a chance this may be a knock off splash version of the 16 its supposed to be? Thats my biggest fear about it all.

mattyboy
10-01-2019, 11:48 AM
yes the lack of vents is consistent with that era of the 16 SkiSporter, The splashes usually had a tell tale difference over the 16 The cobalt splashes were almost exact copies but that was late 60s . take a tape to the beam and LOA

LOA should be 16' 7 1/2"

Beam 7' 0"

your reg say 17' 6" which is off but could be just a guess-timate by the old owner or taken off the old reg. If you have the old owners name search here and see if you can find info from old threads.

there is always a chance it is a splash or a non donzi but just by the pics nothing is a glaring stand out get some good pics of the deck hatch and look at the hull for hook on the chine and look at the lifting strakes if it doesn't look like the bottom F'in posted something is a miss

Again a early 65 66 in the same condition as a mid 70s skisporter are going to be about the same value, in fact cause of the early layups being light some may prefer a late 60s early 70s boat with a heavier layup.

this boat looks to have been a keel up resto so I would assume that any layup issues were addressed brings me to one last thought any signs of glass work on the transom?

10-01-2019, 12:10 PM
yes the lack of vents is consistent with that era of the 16 SkiSporter, The splashes usually had a tell tale difference over the 16 The cobalt splashes were almost exact copies but that was late 60s . take a tape to the beam and LOA

LOA should be 16' 7 1/2"

Beam 7' 0"

your reg say 17' 6" which is off but could be just a guess-timate by the old owner or taken off the old reg. If you have the old owners name search here and see if you can find info from old threads.

there is always a chance it is a splash or a non donzi but just by the pics nothing is a glaring stand out get some good pics of the deck hatch and look at the hull for hook on the chine and look at the lifting strakes if it doesn't look like the bottom F'in posted something is a miss

Again a early 65 66 in the same condition as a mid 70s skisporter are going to be about the same value, in fact cause of the early layups being light some may prefer a late 60s early 70s boat with a heavier layup.

this boat looks to have been a keel up resto so I would assume that any layup issues were addressed brings me to one last thought any signs of glass work on the transom?

Yes, I can see in the paint where it used to have thru hull exhaust and there are a couple of holes on either side of the outdrive that I assume are from the original outdrive. Other than that and a notch out of the stringer to make room for the alternator belt pulley it all looks pretty much the same, clean and solid. The previous owner also glued pieces of Styrofoam on both sides of the hull for added security. He said that he couldn't stand the thought of it ever sinking and thought that would help.

mattyboy
10-01-2019, 01:32 PM
can you post a pic of the holes on the side of the drive cut out and a pic of where the thru hull holes were

is there any pattern to the holes? are they in a triangle on both sides of the drive?

are the plugged exhaust thru hulls wide apart and lower than the drive or are they closer in and higher up than the drive?

10-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Sorry about the side ways pics again.

mattyboy
10-02-2019, 06:28 AM
The first picture would be consistent with an early Eaton powered 16 wide low exhaust ports and 3 bolts in a triangle on each side of the drive

What would concern me is the transom has been patched and not replaced which would make me wonder about the strength of the stringers and bottom have they been beefed up?
I assume this is a 350 sbc and an alpha which will cause more stress on the hull than a sbf 260 or 289
And the Early boats had a few reports of the bottoms failing under the motor. This is just an observation from pics I don't have eyes on the boat

mattyboy
10-02-2019, 06:41 AM
looking at the first pic again on the laptop not the phone is this a merc 888 setup with a small block ford????

10-02-2019, 07:07 AM
No its a SBC and the outdrive says 898 on it. Everything in the bildge looks like its in decent condition but there is a big notch out of the stringer big enough for the alternator to fit in.

How would you advise that I check the structure of it all?

mattyboy
10-02-2019, 07:37 AM
is the notched sealed? are there any gussets or cross members or any add'l glass or re-enforcement on the stringers? the boat has been modified enough that value if any for the vintage is irrelevant now so now condition is the only factor look for cracking inside and out around the motor the stringers were thin to start how big a notch was taken out?

10-02-2019, 07:50 AM
Check it out...

mattyboy
10-02-2019, 08:18 AM
not sealed plus alot of material removed does this boat have the original tank too? looks like the original stringers with the two lower old motor mount holes left open and unsealed which would not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling with modern power

10-02-2019, 08:24 AM
not sealed plus alot of material removed does this boat have the original tank too? looks like the original stringers with the two lower old motor mount holes left open and unsealed which would not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling with modern power

The fuel tank has been replaced with an aluminum one. Does that tickle your fancy some haha?

c-ski-donzi
10-29-2019, 10:55 PM
45171, I just have to weigh in on this one. I may be wrong, but I believe the early 16's (at least up into 66) did not have the brushed stainless plate on the dash insert. I have an early ski-sporter that I have been working VERY hard to try to ID, but have yet to prove definitive evidence. The one constant in early ski-sporters seems to be inconsistency. I have seen several different lay-ups with and without coring, with and without pvc, as well as pvc run differently.....the bottom line is there don't seem to be any absolutes. I am continuing to try to get some patterns, but incorrect information is almost as plentiful as hard evidence,and trying to research these threads is very trying. Anyway, my (I think 65, but not claiming anything yet) 16 is very,very original and there is no stainless plate. Other early dashes that I can think of include the ballinger boat, the lyons boat, Bob in Covington's boat and at least a few more off the top of my head, that seem to be pretty original boats. Hull #136 is actually the ONLY pre 67 that I recall with the insert.....that particular boat appears to also have at least a few other "dress-ups" as well, like the added vents, and may not be a good example. Once again, I could be wrong, but your boat to me appears to be very consistent with a 66 build, just with obvious alterations. this is certainly not groundbreaking, but I can feel your frustration, as I have been dealing with it for the better part of a year now! Enjoy the boat, & good luck, Colin

10-31-2019, 03:28 PM
Colin,

Thanks for the response. I'm not too frustrated about it now. I was hoping I had bought something that I could put together some history on but I was most concerned with confirming it was an indeed a Donzi, and what I could be safe to advertise if I decided to sell. As well as establish a guesstimate of what the value would be.

So now I'm at the point that I know it is a very old Donzi, with some modification issues, thats worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. And it's not something that I should be obsessed about making it perfect and original. I can put a giant intake with a scoop style air filter that sticks out above the deck if I want to and it wont hurt the value.....

Morgan's Cloud
10-31-2019, 04:32 PM
Colin,

I can put a giant intake with a scoop style air filter that sticks out above the deck if I want to and it wont hurt the value.....

And that's not entirely true either . :biggrin.:

c-ski-donzi
10-31-2019, 11:07 PM
I'm glad you aren't too emotionally involved to be irrational about any of this, nobody is going to get rich with one of these. With that being said, Matty is correct in saying condition of your boat at this point is the most serious consideration. I would venture to say putting much money in any direction would likely not be a great investment. I'm NOT saying the boat has no value! I also agree with Matty that the tape markings indicate an early Eaton set-up. Along with the visible holes in the rear deck, and center light, and no vents make me think this is likely a '66 Donzi. Take that for what it's worth, as I am definitely not an expert, and there are a lot of unexplainable things about the early boats. Just my two cents, Colin