PDA

View Full Version : Bravo 1 resevoir

JParanee
12-26-2015, 11:52 PM
I have been working on my engine a lot just tyding things up

I replaced my battery tray today and found what appears to be my gear oil line resevoir line not connected to anything

apparently when the prior owner replaced the original motor with the new blue motor he did not reattach this line to the resevoir and deleted the resevoir

I have already ordered a replacement resevoir

is there a reason that he would of done this ?

Clean oil seems to be weeping from the line so so I doubt it's plugged

could this of done any damage to the drive

I plan on draining it ASAP and changing fluid and adding a new resevoir

where is the best place to mount the new resevoir

thank you for the help

Morgan's Cloud
12-27-2015, 06:32 AM
That seems like a very strange thing for someone to do . I'd be worried that the oil level in the unit hasn't been at the correct level since it was done .
It might be an idea to remove the top oil plug on the out drive and see if you get a good solid stream of oil coming out .
You can always mount the new reservoir on the transom if you wish like I did .

JParanee
12-27-2015, 01:56 PM
That seems like a very strange thing for someone to do . I'd be worried that the oil level in the unit hasn't been at the correct level since it was done .
It might be an idea to remove the top oil plug on the out drive and see if you get a good solid stream of oil coming out .
You can always mount the new reservoir on the transom if you wish like I did .

Thank you guys

I'm verY relieved :)

drained fluid amd and it is perfect :)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa302/jparanee/Vehicles/49497384-1F30-4838-99E6-B1D6B2423787.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/jparanee/media/Vehicles/49497384-1F30-4838-99E6-B1D6B2423787.jpg.html)

i have a new resevoir and fluid ordered

fluid was like new almost

new question please

two things actually

I thought that Bravo 1's had drain lug on side

I might have a different lower mine is on the rear below the prop shaft

next

I would like to switch over to Mercury High Performance gear oil which I believe is a full synthetic

i do do not know what they had in here and my plain is to let it drain till new resevoir , oil etc get here which will be a week at least

at that time I should be good to go switching to synthetic correct ?

thank you all for the help

Morgan's Cloud
12-27-2015, 03:32 PM
The drain plug on the B1 and B2 is behind the prop because it's a clever (for Merc) engineering trick to make sure you pull the props regularly . On the B3 they have no choice but to put it on the side of the bullet .

As for oil . Well , we all know what a can of worms that opens up . :biggrin.: I honestly doubt that there's anything wrong or inferior about he Merc HiPo stuff because they're dead serious about making it to their warranty deadline without any claims but I use something else now that warranty is over , based on much reading over the years .
We do have an oil expert on the board here but I have a feeling that if you asked him he'd only want to speak in pm's !

JParanee
12-27-2015, 04:51 PM
The drain plug on the B1 and B2 is behind the prop because it's a clever (for Merc) engineering trick to make sure you pull the props regularly . On the B3 they have no choice but to put it on the side of the bullet .

As for oil . Well , we all know what a can of worms that opens up . :biggrin.: I honestly doubt that there's anything wrong or inferior about he Merc HiPo stuff because they're dead serious about making it to their warranty deadline without any claims but I use something else now that warranty is over , based on much reading over the years .
We do have an oil expert on the board here but I have a feeling that if you asked him he'd only want to speak in pm's !

I apreciate the answer and I've been doing research on gear oil

I've been using Mobil 1 and other synthetics for decades in engines and just want to hear opinions on the Mercury stuff

thx again