PDA

View Full Version : Anchor mount

jordanmc
12-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Hey everyone, I have my 22ft classic down in Florida for the winter. Have had some great rides so far. Wondering anyone that carries an anchor what is the best place to keep it? Anybody come up with a nice mounting system somewhere?
Thanks

Pat McPherson
12-23-2015, 08:33 AM
I keep mind under the back seat but its a PIA to get to...

joseph m. hahnl
12-23-2015, 05:36 PM
I put my :alligator in the floor locker :biggrin.:

gcarter
12-23-2015, 07:09 PM
Hey everyone, I have my 22ft classic down in Florida for the winter. Have had some great rides so far. Wondering anyone that carries an anchor what is the best place to keep it? Anybody come up with a nice mounting system somewhere?
Thanks

I take it your boat is '94 or later? If it's older, some spaces are available that weren't on newer boats

Ghost
12-23-2015, 08:05 PM
It's a bit of a tricky problem on a Classic. Nothing feels very convenient for frequent anchorers. We anchor a LOT. If I owned one, I'd be tempted to go all out and do a custom anchor hatch up in the bow.

I suppose one could get clever and install a small hawse-hole up in the bow, with the anchor line stored below. That'd keep the hole/HW relatively subtle, if done right. Smaller than a pop-up bicolor light. Then maybe use a high-strength stainless carabiner on a light hook like a Fortress, carry the anchor up onto the bow, then clip it onto the rode and heave it. You could even get nutty and mount a cleat down below the deck somewhere.

But all of that could only do so much good. Short of a bow chock into which you can thread the rode while standing in the cockpit, (which actually might work), nothing is going to keep you off the foredeck.

And regardless, short of an anchor locker set into the foredeck, you're stuck eating precious storage near the cockpit.

If anyone ever does get interested in fabricating a possible anchor locker, let me know. My Cig has the same anchor hatch as the Magnum 27, with an ingenious custom box-style galvanized Danforth spin-off. Works well, and the hole on the deck is astoundingly small, all things considered. I bet the hole in the deck, in which the anchor hangs, is only about 7x9 inches. For a maybe 10 lb anchor, suitable for a Mag 27.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-23-2015, 10:57 PM
I keep mind under the back seat but its a PIA to get to...

Ditto here.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-23-2015, 10:59 PM
It's a bit of a tricky problem on a Classic. Nothing feels very convenient for frequent anchorers. We anchor a LOT. If I owned one, I'd be tempted to go all out and do a custom anchor hatch up in the bow.

I suppose one could get clever and install a small hawse-hole up in the bow, with the anchor line stored below. That'd keep the hole/HW relatively subtle, if done right. Smaller than a pop-up bicolor light. Then maybe use a high-strength stainless carabiner on a light hook like a Fortress, carry the anchor up onto the bow, then clip it onto the rode and heave it. You could even get nutty and mount a cleat down below the deck somewhere.

But all of that could only do so much good. Short of a bow chock into which you can thread the rode while standing in the cockpit, (which actually might work), nothing is going to keep you off the foredeck.

And regardless, short of an anchor locker set into the foredeck, you're stuck eating precious storage near the cockpit.

If anyone ever does get interested in fabricating a possible anchor locker, let me know. My Cig has the same anchor hatch as the Magnum 27, with an ingenious custom box-style galvanized Danforth spin-off. Works well, and the hole on the deck is astoundingly small, all things considered. I bet the hole in the deck, in which the anchor hangs, is only about 7x9 inches. For a maybe 10 lb anchor, suitable for a Mag 27.

Yep, those anchor storage boxes on the Magnums and apparently your Cig are small, creative and effective. How do you keep from just looking at that deck - awesome!

yeller
12-24-2015, 01:21 AM
I use to keep mine under the back seat, wrapped in a couple towels to keep it from damaging the gel. Didn't like how it wasn't secure, so I made a bracket to hold it tight and mounted it on the starboard "shelf" in the bilge.

JParanee
12-24-2015, 10:21 PM
New to Classics and I'm used to a lot more locker space

What I have come up with thus far is a rubber coated fluke anchor stored with its rope and a short section of vinyl covered chain in a rubber made container that fits in the shelf in the bow

smokediver
12-26-2015, 05:46 AM
I have anchor chocks on the starboard side of my engine. They were already there when I bought the boat. Basically it's a few pieces screwed into the floor that holds a fluke style anchor in place. Made from chrome plated brass. If I remember I will get a pic today.

jordanmc
12-26-2015, 05:13 PM
ok I am glad I am not on my own on this one. Seems like in Florida its a must. Not used to driving in water that's only 24 feet deep at the most. Usually I am running in 8-15ft. Today I wrapped in a towel and stored under the bow but I would prefer to have something that mounts properly in the engine compartment for sure. My daughter and I had a great day cruising around the islands!! attached is a pic when we got back. Marina pulling it out and flushing it out for us. 83459

smokediver
12-27-2015, 05:57 AM
Here are the chocks . I haven't had the use for an anchor myself.

Fishermanjm
01-10-2016, 12:51 PM
What year boat??? Looks like mine 2001. The red stripe looks to be in nice shape. Mine is fading away

jordanmc
01-10-2016, 05:32 PM
2001 496ho

jordanmc
01-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Where do you drive yours?

Fishermanjm
01-11-2016, 09:25 AM
Narragansett Bay. All salt an nuttin but salt
I installed a freshy cooling system before I started
running the boat in the bay. The boat was originally from
the upper Chesapeake area in Deleware. I would love