PDA

View Full Version : Do Hornet and other classic drawings still exist?

Rob M
11-13-2015, 01:50 PM
I saw some of the original b&W engineering style drawings for the Donzi 16 online and they are really cool looking. Does anyone know, or has anyone seen, similar blueprint drawings for the Hornet, 14 or Corsican? Working within legal ownership, reprint rights etc, these would be really cool to replicate for Boathouse and garage walls.

mattyboy
11-15-2015, 12:23 PM
The mystic seaport museum has Walt's drawings

DonziJon
11-15-2015, 05:54 PM
I am a member of the Mystic Seaport Museum. I have had relations with the part of the Museum that has the "Drawings" of many ships and boats that have been donated over time to the archives.

I visited the museum and bought the drawings for an important speed boat (to build a model) from the twenties. There were 4 sheets in my case. They print "Blueprints" for you. They are "Blueprints". They WILL Degrade over time if left out in natural light.

If you are interested, I will visit the museum (I am an hour away..and retired) and will look into your request.

When I bought the four sheets for my boat a number of years ago I think the cost was maybe $4 a sheet. Regards: DJ

bertsboat
11-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Rob, I have several, some signed by Walt. What are you looking for?

they are no longer $4.00 each anymore. They Are $40.00 each and if you are a member they are $35 if I remember correctly.. If you want the list I have it because they do not know anything about the drawings except the drawing number. They don't know what a Donzi is. I can send you the list and you can pick if I don't have it.

I saw some of the original b&W engineering style drawings for the Donzi 16 online and they are really cool looking. Does anyone know, or has anyone seen, similar blueprint drawings for the Hornet, 14 or Corsican? Working within legal ownership, reprint rights etc, these would be really cool to replicate for Boathouse and garage walls.

woobs
11-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Here's the WW list of designs I was sent..........

bertsboat
11-15-2015, 06:30 PM
I added some some more information

Rob, I have several, some signed by Walt. What are you looking for?

By the way, the Hornet bottom is there but not the deck. I really don't think Walt designed the bench seat deck. He did design the St Tropez. He did not design the 14 either. Not sure about the Corsican.

they are no longer $4.00 each anymore. They Are $40.00 each and if you are a member they are $35 if I remember correctly.. If you want the list I have it because they do not know anything about the drawings except the drawing number. They don't know what a Donzi is. I can send you the list and you can pick if I don't have it.

DonziJon
11-16-2015, 06:01 PM
Just looked back: I bought my blueprints from Mystic Seaport back in 1995. :bonk: DJ.

Rob M
11-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Bert/Donzi Jon

I am looking specifically for Hornet, 14 or Corsican model drawings. It doesn't look like those are in Bert's list, but it is hard to tell by the handwriting. If they exist, great, if it is a hassle to find out, no worries. Any help is appreciated.

Rob

bertsboat
11-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Rob, you have the list? If not I will scan it and send it to you.
Like I said, Walt designed the St Tropez. Not the Hornet deck and the Baby was not drawn by Walt either however Brownie told me was basically a scaled down version of the 27 although I am sure someone will tune in and tell you otherwise.

Bert/Donzi Jon

I am looking specifically for Hornet, 14 or Corsican model drawings. It doesn't look like those are in Bert's list, but it is hard to tell by the handwriting. If they exist, great, if it is a hassle to find out, no worries. Any help is appreciated.

Rob

ivypandas
09-08-2016, 11:48 AM
The mystic seaport museum has Walt's drawings

I've been trying to contact the Mystic Seaport Collections Center to get plans for the Donzi Classic 18. No one seems to answer the phone or e-mails (although I did get an auto-reply.) I also tried the online search for plans with keywords such as 'Donzi' or 'Walters' to no avail. Can anyone suggest the best way to purchase the plans? Hopefully prices haven't increased significantly more than the previously quoted $40. The Collections Center is only open Wednesday through Friday and close by 5pm at the latest so unless I take a day off work, I wouldn't be able to go there in person.

Thanks,

Davis

ivypandas
09-08-2016, 06:43 PM
I've been trying to contact the Mystic Seaport Collections Center to get plans for the Donzi Classic 18. No one seems to answer the phone or e-mails (although I did get an auto-reply.) I also tried the online search for plans with keywords such as 'Donzi' or 'Walters' to no avail. Can anyone suggest the best way to purchase the plans? Hopefully prices haven't increased significantly more than the previously quoted $40. The Collections Center is only open Wednesday through Friday and close by 5pm at the latest so unless I take a day off work, I wouldn't be able to go there in person.

Thanks,

Davis

Never mind, I was able to reach Mindy Matheson by phone. She found the 1/12 scale profile and deck plan for the Classic 18. It measures 35" w x 25" h and the price is still $40 each. Is anyone else interested in buying one of these? Maybe we can set up a group purchase if there is a discount. If all goes well, I'll pick them up this weekend.

bertsboat
10-14-2016, 06:21 PM
I may may have the 18 plans. I will look tomorrow. Also, on the 14, Brownie said Harry used a Glastron bottom for the hull design. I have not asked him personally but I intend to at OFF next month.

Never mind, I was able to reach Mindy Matheson by phone. She found the 1/12 scale profile and deck plan for the Classic 18. It measures 35" w x 25" h and the price is still $40 each. Is anyone else interested in buying one of these? Maybe we can set up a group purchase if there is a discount. If all goes well, I'll pick them up this weekend.

f_inscreenname
10-14-2016, 08:07 PM
I got a copy of the 7 meter from Dick Cole's son.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/f_inscreenname/Donzi7meter.jpg

gcarter
10-14-2016, 09:14 PM
I got a copy of the 7 meter from Dick Cole's son.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/f_inscreenname/Donzi7meter.jpg

That's a very incomplete set of lines.
It would be very difficult to even make a model from them

Lenny
10-14-2016, 11:03 PM
George, the table of lines and offsets is missing from the posted drawing. The independent stations

f_inscreenname
10-15-2016, 11:43 AM
George, the table of lines and offsets is missing from the posted drawing. The independent stations

Sorry. The full size print out still looks good on my wall. :yes:

ivypandas
10-27-2016, 02:28 PM
Too late for a group buy. I was able to pick up the drawing of the Classic 18 a few weeks ago. It's a nice drawing, see below. Note it was done in 1980 (with a starboard helm) and it is not a design plan. Walt Walters said in an interview that he just took the plans for the 16 and added 2 feet to the fattest part to get the 18.

jl1962
10-27-2016, 04:57 PM
Nice.

But too bad it's not an actual line drawing.

I like how it shows the slight radius in the transom.
I'm not sure that the early barrel back 18s had the same feature, their transoms always look pretty flat to me.

mattyboy
10-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Walt did the St Tropez the deck of the benchseat was done by someone else not sure on the H2 and H3 not sure on the Corsican either as it was a new top on an old bottom during the Chisholm full ownership

olredalert
10-28-2016, 06:56 PM
----Matty,,,Certainly Walt took the hook out of the 16 hull while adding the extra inches. Yes???.......Bill S

mattyboy
10-30-2016, 08:23 AM
----Matty,,,Certainly Walt took the hook out of the 16 hull while adding the extra inches. Yes???.......Bill S

yes Bill

I was with Walt when he told us the story of the 18 when he came to the Dustoff. I wish I could have asked him more . He said they basically added the length in the middle cut the 16 in two and stuck the 2 feet in. But remember the original 18 was a sharp keeled barrelback I wonder if he was referring to the standard 18 ? the 18 never had hook. What I meant to say was the standard 18 bottom had a few tops the Corsican the x 18 the OB so only the deck was designed not the bottom. That was during the Chisholm years late 60 early 70s not sure if it was Walt or someone else.

on a side note the 19 bottom did have a little hook I will try and find a few pics of it. again when the Hornet was redesigned from 19 to 20 to 21 I am not sure who did that the bottom was changed and the tops also changed.

When Walt was at Mystic I had the honor to be there and review all the drawings with the Museum and Walt. he did a lot of great work for anyone he designed a boat for including himself the drawings for his "Pacyderm" sp were there a boat he designed for his wife.
The best story was when we were flipping thru the 28 sportsman drawings and his time with Don A.
Walt was at the drafting table working hard with the line drawings of the 28 he said Don came in looked over his shoulder then picked up a pencil and crossed out Walt's deck and drew in his. I said didn't that ticked you off Walt said I couldn't be mad Don was right his deck looked better.

gcarter
10-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Matty, back in '07 or so, while attending the Amelia Island Concours, I met Jack Jurativic,
a retired automotive stylist. After I explained my interest in Donzis, he told me he had been
commissioned by Donzi to style the X-18 deck. His firm engineered the shape.
I must say he did a good job. The "ramp" in front of the cockpit is probably responsible
for some of the speed of "Mighty Mouse".

olredalert
10-30-2016, 03:37 PM
----George,,,John Chisholm told me back when I bought my X18 that he had used aotomotive designers for that deck. Guess you met up with one. Cool!......Bill S

Taihau
04-02-2020, 01:52 AM
Did someone ever found the donzi 16 or 18 table of offsets please ? Please Help