PDA

View Full Version : DONZI.Net Fading...

DonziJon
11-12-2015, 06:05 PM
I've been around for awhile and have watched the ups and downs going on in this forum. I won't get into why I "Logged Off" .....but I remember my old pal "Sofa King". He had a sense of humor that some members didn't get. Maybe Sofa King was TOO outspoken...Just wondering. :confused:

Nobody likes someone who is comfortable...AND sure of themselves.

WELL.. I like people like that. Just a thought. :yes: DJ

bertsboat
11-13-2015, 09:01 AM
I agree to disagree..

I've been around for awhile and have watched the ups and downs going on in this forum. I won't get into why I "Logged Off" .....but I remember my old pal "Sofa King". He had a sense of humor that some members didn't get. Maybe Sofa King was TOO outspoken...Just wondering. :confused:

Greg Guimond
11-13-2015, 09:04 AM

If I could understand ANY of what you said above I'd probably have a comment. But ............. I can't. Sorry.

woobs
11-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Fading? There is certainly more traffic here than the "other" Donzi site. Although I have only been here 4 years, I find that there is always something going on here and yes, even some passionate discussion. However, I have been told that in general, BBs or sites (on any topic) similar to this are on the downturn....is this what you are referring to?

If you are looking for 'flame wars" or someone colourfully stirring the pot, I would retort that it is a testament to a great community here that generally gets along or, at least has the good manners not to be so outright about conflicting opinions... and then again, some still get p*ssed off and leave but, we regularly get new subscribers.

I think what you may have noticed is a natural maturity to this site.... The topic of which has constantly been focussed predominantly on the classic Donzis. With that many newbie questions are answered with a `search` function. Further, there are those in the community that have established themselves in certain areas. Their opinions have been well qualified in the past and therefore, not as many people question their advice or feel the need to support with a `me too` so, we get less overall posts.

Forums are not for everyone`s taste but, this forum is active, informative and inviting whether you own a DONZI Classic or just like them.

Is any of this close to the mark of your observation?

gcarter
11-13-2015, 10:13 AM
If I could understand ANY of what you said above I'd probably have a comment. But ............. I can't. Sorry.

It was before your time Greg.....
But SK liked the bottle (I think) and was unable to step up, in person,
and do a deal w/o crapping all over everyone involved, and w/o accusing
these same folks of damage, etc.
He did the same kind of stuff on this site to the point, even Harbormaster
(who was EXTREMELY lenient), banned him.

I think social media is diminishing the site. There're so many new venues.
But sites like this still allow for "in depth" discussion that Facebook, etc., don't
provide.

f_inscreenname
11-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Fading? There is certainly more traffic here than the "other" Donzi site. Although I have only been here 4 years, I find that there is always something going on here and yes, even some passionate discussion. However, I have been told that in general, BBs or sites (on any topic) similar to this are on the downturn....is this what you are referring to?

You had to go there. :mad:

There is a lot of reasons that "other site" even exists in the first place that I'm not going into.
But for you to bring up the "other site" trying to justify .net's issues is low. How about we compare .net to OSO or iboats or Performance Boat, River Dave's, etc, etc... How you making out now? Your site is dead compared to them. And we won’t even get into the double courtesy posts on both .net and .org from people like me that happen to stop by both.
You also mention newbies questions are answered in the search. If that is the case then .net is just a library and not a forum. Then you add that there are people that have established themselves in certain areas, etc, etc … What I get from that is when certain people speak the conversation is over. No one has a counter point to offer?
You see that’s what happens to sites over time. People get sick of answering the same questions so they say things like “do a search” or just don’t answer. Think the guy at the gas station or marina repair shop hasn’t answered the same questions over and over? What if the next customer that pulled up with a question and he said “you can find out on Google” or just walked away, how long do you think they would be in business?
Maybe they think their boat is not like anyone else’s, maybe they think their issue is not like any other. Maybe they are just looking for reassurance. It doesn’t matter. Search didn’t do it for them so they stick their necks out and post and what do they find? An empty room or a room with people in it that are too stuck up or scared (because the “established” may not agree) to answer.
Then it just snowballs. The old guard is tired of answering the same questions, the newer folks don’t want to because they may look bad if they do and the new people are afraid to ask.
Just think of it this way. If you came home from work every day and only just said hi and by to your spouse how long do you think the marriage would last? You need to talk even if it’s just about every day stupid stuff.
Last, enough of these “safe spaces”. Look for people that think differently or you will never learn anything.

gcarter
11-13-2015, 02:49 PM
You had to go there. :mad:

There is a lot of reasons that "other site" even exists in the first place that I'm not going into.
But for you to bring up the "other site" trying to justify .net's issues is low. How about we compare .net to OSO or iboats or Performance Boat, River Dave's, etc, etc... How you making out now? Your site is dead compared to them. And we won’t even get into the double courtesy posts on both .net and .org from people like me that happen to stop by both.
You also mention newbies questions are answered in the search. If that is the case then .net is just a library and not a forum. Then you add that there are people that have established themselves in certain areas, etc, etc … What I get from that is when certain people speak the conversation is over. No one has a counter point to offer?
You see that’s what happens to sites over time. People get sick of answering the same questions so they say things like “do a search” or just don’t answer. Think the guy at the gas station or marina repair shop hasn’t answered the same questions over and over? What if the next customer that pulled up with a question and he said “you can find out on Google” or just walked away, how long do you think they would be in business?
Maybe they think their boat is not like anyone else’s, maybe they think their issue is not like any other. Maybe they are just looking for reassurance. It doesn’t matter. Search didn’t do it for them so they stick their necks out and post and what do they find? An empty room or a room with people in it that are too stuck up or scared (because the “established” may not agree) to answer.
Then it just snowballs. The old guard is tired of answering the same questions, the newer folks don’t want to because they may look bad if they do and the new people are afraid to ask.
Just think of it this way. If you came home from work every day and only just said hi and by to your spouse how long do you think the marriage would last? You need to talk even if it’s just about every day stupid stuff.
Last, enough of these “safe spaces”. Look for people that think differently or you will never learn anything.

Why so much excitement? Sean has a right to his thoughts and beliefs, and to even state them.
Just reading your reply, IMHO, you seem a bit thin skinned.
Goodness, what's past is past.
Let's move on !

woobs
11-13-2015, 02:50 PM
...But for you to bring up the "other site" trying to justify .net's issues is low. ...

Whoa...back the truck up and step away from the coffee. First, not a justification but, a comparison of the activity of posts (as the ONLY other Donzi specific content site). I visit both sites and participate in both sites. Whatever happened, happened long before I came to either so don't jump to conclusions. I don't have a horse in that race, I don't know how it started, I don't know why it started I don't know why stays that way and I don't care to know. It is an OBSERVATION. There are more active threads here than there on regular basis. That's all.

In fact I did compare to OSO or iboats when I said "...in general, BBs or sites (on any topic) similar to this are on the downturn." Again, it was an observation not, a slight to anyone.

Mark, I'm not sure where you're going with the rest of your rant but, this is where the decaf comes in :) . Are you just being sarcastic with the irony of the "flame wars" comment?

My point is that this site is not fading. After that, the post is to clarify why Donzi Jon thinks it is fading.

gcarter
11-13-2015, 02:54 PM
If we were a "general" performance boating site w/20 years of history, we'd be bigger and more active.
It's a lot to expect of 2 "Single Brand" sites w/some folks who won't entertain
visiting the other.

f_inscreenname
11-14-2015, 01:41 AM
Sorry about coming off gruff. Even the mention of .org over here in anyway puts my spider senses on high. If you look at it the way I do its like .org and .net were one big family at one time and after building a great home together there has been a messy divorce and both sides lost (some more than others). .org ended up being the ex that walked away with a couple friends and moved into an apartment. .net kept the house, neighbors, friends, etc, etc. Over time they settled their differences and became friendly but it will never be the same.

And this comes from someone who has only owned a Donzi for 18 months (and don't now) for the 11 years I’ve been here. :eek:

Greg Guimond
11-14-2015, 06:33 AM
I'm just glad that the folks behind the magic curtain on this site keep it going! I'm sure it's not easy and costs a lot of money and time. So thank you, coming from the smallest sub segment of the Donzi community. The red headed, smoke gulping, rat a tat, ring a ding 16 OB Baby crowd. Now I have to go wake up the hamsters in my 225 OB, I'm putting on the long johns and heading to the water later this morning to try a new prop. I never met a sunny November day I did not like.

hardcrab
11-14-2015, 06:40 AM
Sorry about coming off gruff. Even the mention of .org over here in anyway puts my spider senses on high. If you look at it the way I do its like .org and .net were one big family at one time and after building a great home together there has been a messy divorce and both sides lost (some more than others). .org ended up being the ex that walked away with a couple friends and moved into an apartment. .net kept the house, neighbors, friends, etc, etc. Over time they settled their differences and became friendly but it will never be the same.

Not that I frequent either site much anymore, but it seems to me it's the same folks having the same conversations at two different locations ( with a very few exceptions)

woobs
11-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Sorry about coming off gruff....

No worries. Because I have only been around 4 years and wasn't here for all that drama I don't really consider the history...which makes me a little insensitive. My apologies.

From my standpoint there's two Donzi specific sites. WOO HOO! Yes, the coverage would make an interesting Venn diagram but, at the end of the day I'm happy that they are here.

I am a regular at a couple of other sites (Woody Boater & Endless Boating) but they serve different interests. I get my Donzi fix here and this community, no matter how dysfunctional, has been great to me. There is a tonne of information here and great people willing to help for the asking or even just discuss common topics. Someday, if I ever finish my "damn Donzi" I'd like to bring it to an event.

Carl C
11-14-2015, 08:54 AM
DonziJon, I agree with your assessment. A lot of people are gone because they no longer own Donzi boats. Some have sadly died. SofaKing was a trip and rubbed a lot of fur the wrong way. I didn't really have a problem with him. I rubbed some fur the wrong way also. This was my first internet forum. I still check in everyday but don't post much anymore. Some people are just too grumpy and can't let go of the past. It's good to see the new faces here though. I hate to say it but there is definitely a clique and I don't belong. IMO Donzi Classic owners are becoming snobs. Also I don't see any problem with discussing issues that have been discussed in the past. There is always updated info and new opinions. I also check the other site but don't post much. I'm on OSO a lot more now where there are a variety of boats and more younger, less uptight people. We put together some fun runs there on the Great Lakes that are a lot of fun and the people much easier going. Again, all JMHO.

Barry Eller
11-15-2015, 07:47 AM
Oh my....I would rather talk about Naughty Shannon....anyone save her pictures? lol...love you guys!
:bighug:

Greg Guimond
11-15-2015, 08:43 AM
It was before your time Greg.....
But SK liked the bottle (I think) and was unable to step up, in person,
and do a deal w/o crapping all over everyone involved, and w/o accusing
these same folks of damage, etc.
He did the same kind of stuff on this site to the point, even Harbormaster
(who was EXTREMELY lenient), banned him.

I think social media is diminishing the site. There're so many new venues.
But sites like this still allow for "in depth" discussion that Facebook, etc., don't
provide.

Got it Mr. Carter on before my time. I never saw the Sofa King stuff and missed the epic fracas that created the Donzi "Parting of the Red Sea" and two sites. Does Facebook have an active following on Donzi's? As a young guy I must admit I have zero interest in FB ...... zero. That said, there really are only a dozen or so guys who post here regularly I would think. The thing I find incredible about this site is actually the search function. I'm not sure why, but it is incredibly efficient technically as compared to other sites I belong too. Allowed me to find out that Frank Civitano (Shangaid Again) father was friends with Don A and bought a solid grumble green 16 from him in '64. Great search function and great repository of factoids. Hopefully it will be preserved.

Carl C
11-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Greg, if you joined in '05 I don't know how you missed it. Yeah, let's talk about Naughty Shannon. Now that one was before our time!

Greg Guimond
11-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Greg, if you joined in '05 I don't know how you missed it. Yeah, let's talk about Naughty Shannon. Now that one was before our time!

Totally did miss it Carl. Remember though, that normally if it does not have an OB involved I tend to not pay attention. I think I'm the only guy with a 16 OB Baby.
Only last year did I decide to look into the I/O 16's for 1964. Who knows, maybe there is a car motor in my future at some point after all.

hardcrab
11-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Yeah, let's talk about Naughty Shannon. Now that one was before our time!

the "Donzi Girls" section really got someones panties in a bunch !

Ghost
11-16-2015, 12:25 AM
Greg, not only are your sails backwards but they've gotta cost more speed than they add. :)

Greg Guimond
11-16-2015, 08:07 AM
Yes, but at least I am somewhat eco-friendly :) I ran The Mule yesterday and it was probably one of the nicest days of the entire year. I spent most of the afternoon circling the blow boaters.

chip w
11-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Well, that was a lot to digest! I think I've been on this site for over 10 years (but who's counting). The site has been invaluable when I've had to trouble shoot problems. Sometimes I fix things myself, sometimes I have my mechanic do it but it's a great feeling to know what I'm talking about when things need attention. Thank you to EVERYONE that has ever helped me.

I visit the other site once in a while. I visit net almost everyday, but I don't post a lot.

I'm often entertained by heated forums. I sit in an office alone everyday and when I need a break I usually come here. Heated forums can be great entertainment so keep them coming.

Is the site fading? Who knows. I see some people leave and others join, like Woobs, who have plenty to offer.

In the meantime, for those that have put your boats away for the winter I'll post a video under the "video" section of our run on the Suwannee River this past weekend. BTW, over 120 boats, 2 Donzi's. Anyone know who had the 16 OB there?

Marlin275
11-16-2015, 03:17 PM
Both Donzi sites and groups are great!
The reason this site broke is gone.
Everything has changed and yet still the same.

Some great people that posted here and there are gone but the Donzi community is still with us.
The reasons we love these boats and the people who love them, are our passion.
For the ones that make it their life, this is our song.

I have my opinion and hear many others, that open the mind to new results.
It is fun and sometimes brilliant.

txtaz
11-16-2015, 03:36 PM
George was spot on. If Harbomaster banned someone, it was for something serious. Scot was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet.
Naughty Shannon...Wow, I totally forgot about her and the Donzi girls.
To the OP: Feel free to jump in and create traffic. We did auctions and such to generate revenue and interest in the old days.
Perhaps we should re-visit bringing back the Donzi girl section. I bet Jefe would be happy.:)
Taz

Offset
11-16-2015, 06:20 PM
My Donzi is long gone but I still check in to see what is going on with the group and I am pleased that the site seems strong to me. I missed a lot of what went on but the one I recall was "Cuda" who seemed to be in a perpetual bad mood.

Glad that the site still carries on and you folks still have opinions about everything.:biggrin.: It would not be the same if you did not! LOL

Carry on enjoying the boats and the site. Both important.

BUIZILLA
11-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Cuda (Joe Griffith) passed away about 3 weeks ago, from a long term cancer situation... :frown:

gcarter
11-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Jim, sorry to hear about Joe.

INHO, aside from the personalities involved in the split-up,
the single biggest contributor to the lower participation was/is
the economy. It's the elephant in the room. Many members
never recovered, at least w/their boats. Florida still hasn't
recovered completely. My best year in business is still 2007.

Ed Donnelly
11-16-2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks for posting that Jim
Had many an exchange with Cuda.Rest in peace...Ed

Marlin275
11-17-2015, 06:51 AM
I liked Joe.
He was passionate about Donzi and many other things.
He contributed much to this site.
When things got tough he got tougher.

He is and will be remembered . . .

God Bless Cuda . . .

chip w
11-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Cuda offered a lot of helpful advice when I was putting the '69 16 together. He'll be missed.

tmdog
11-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Don't forget his floor tile expertise. Cuda was a passionate person whether it came from snakes to performance boats. He sure was a colorful individual and is missed. RIP Cuda.

gold-n-rod
11-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Oh my....I would rather talk about Naughty Shannon....anyone save her pictures? lol...love you guys!
:bighug:

Only in my spank bank!!!! :shocking:

Ghost
11-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Joe was a brilliant and talented guy with a lot of knowledge and enthusiasm for the community. (I think it is worth noting for those who didn't know--he got very sick and his brain function was severely affected. He wasn't himself anymore, and that led to some unfortunate confusion and antagonism on the site and more importantly, elsewhere in his life. At one point on his behalf i spoke with, and wrote a note to some officials in FL state government, in hopes that they could see past his condition and understand that his difficult nature was a symptom of his illness, for which he was trying desperately to get help.)

I will always remember him as the bright, joyous and giving friend he was.

Rest in peace, Joe. We miss you.

Lenny
11-17-2015, 11:46 AM
R.I.P Joe, :( I remember talking to him about laying floor tile many many years ago. His KAAMA drives on his 30' Formula, lots of stuff. Very sad about his health and the implications that followed.

On the topic of the " board " ,inactivity and anything else related to " then " ( early 2000 and 16 years later ) and " now " I would attribute it to the people that have come and gone, the Internet in general and the myriad of other on-line applications that offer similar experiences in today's digital environment. The Internet isn't new anymore and quite frankly, I think a lot of folks have seen enough news lately to limit their time on-line.

Something even more relevant I think is that it is " November " and we're all getting that dark, gloomy winter thing starting to go on. ( except the Fla peeps )

Take care everyone :)

DonziJon
11-17-2015, 05:43 PM
I remember Cuda. I like to think he was my pal. His father and I served in the Navy at the same time... on different ships. We hit it off. Near the end......I think he was banned from the forum for his comments.

I tend to side with the underdogs. I LIKED Cuda. :nilly: DJ

CHACHI
11-18-2015, 05:46 AM
God Speed Joe.

Ken

Carl C
11-18-2015, 07:52 AM
I'm also sorry to hear that "Cuda" Joe has passed. :(

Jraysray
11-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Scot V told me "it's not gone just turned off" lol someone flip the switch.

Im at MD Anderson and I check in when im here cause this place reminds me of him..

Miss u buddy..

JimG
11-19-2015, 03:00 PM
RIP, Cuda. Always liked that guy!

Can't believe I have been a member here for 14 years! I still check in weekly. Never got too involved in the "heat", life is too short. But this site is, and always will be, THE best source for information about our boats. That is why I come here.

Keep up the good work!

RIP, Harbormaster. I miss you terribly!

Jim

Barry Eller
11-21-2015, 02:47 PM
I thought about Joe (Cuda) a few weeks ago....scary that it may have been when he was passing....We got along well and were Facebook friends. He didn't like my bimini top, but he did admit I had the best one he had seen...

dr
06-26-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm back on after being MIA for a number of years...I was never that active on the board but you didn't have to be to know the place had more than its fair share of drama but many of those people would be the first to go the extra mile for a new(er) Donzi owner like myself....now if I can remember where I put my Donzi I plan to get back on the water and on this site....I just saw gcarters still posting so I won't be th
oldest guy on here...