PDA

View Full Version : It is not a boat issue but ....

CHACHI
11-08-2015, 05:44 AM
Took my Cobra for a ride yesterday (428CJ), drove about 10 miles when I stopped for fuel. Car was running great.

Went to restart, nothing...No spark at the plugs, no spark coming out of the coil.

The car has a complete MSD system, box, coil, and dist. Had had it for 6-7 years

The flatbed arrived, thanks AAA, hauled it home rolled it off the flatbed and for grins I tried to start it.

Fired right up and drove into the garage.

Where should I start looking?

Any help is appricated.

Ken

mattyboy
11-08-2015, 06:26 AM
bad electrical connection? sounds exactly like when my coil went bad it would heat up and not restart it would stay running but if I turned it off it had to cool down and it would fire right up.

I'd be glad to take her and shake the gremlins out for ya ;) nice ride :yes:

tmdog
11-08-2015, 06:53 AM
Did the starter operate as designed?

CHACHI
11-08-2015, 07:44 AM
tm dog, starter works fine.

I am leaning toward Matty's solution of the coil, but I have to get it hot AND test it. I think this is my challenge.

I definitely don't want to take it for another ride to warm it up, who knows when or where it would die.

As I said, rolled it off the truck and fired the car right up.

Ken

mattyboy
11-08-2015, 07:56 AM
not real familiar with the msd setup but my issue was the coil running on 12 volts all the time the coil was supposed to be able to run with out a ballast resistor the resistor was internal. I replaced with a mallory canister type coil and installed an external Ballast resistor which drops the voltage to 9 volts . my coil was like leave your fingerprints on it HOT

I would think with the hood down at idle in the driveway 10-15 minutes should be a good test worst you would have to push her back in the garage

Ed Donnelly
11-08-2015, 08:18 AM
I will help you out Ken. I will swap you my Vette for the Cobra
The Vette does not have MSD

CHACHI
11-08-2015, 08:45 AM
...and it will match my Harley

Morgan's Cloud
11-08-2015, 10:12 AM
The flatbed arrived, thanks AAA, hauled it home rolled it off the flatbed and for grins I tried to start it.

Fired right up and drove into the garage.

Where should I start looking?

Ken

I'm pretty sure Matty is on the right track , but my mind works a little differently . I'd be tempted to go looking for the remote control ignition dis-abler that the tow truck company carries around with them that can target really cool expensive cars . :biggrin.:

gcarter
11-08-2015, 12:49 PM
It seems I've read a number of times that the MSD modules died, and not the coils.
Back in the late '70's and early '80's, Ford ignition modules failed when hot. It was in a completely potted container sitting on top of the fender, just under the hood, and I suppose it acted as a great heat sink, particularly in a city like Houston. My guess is the module, but you could always carry an extra coil around if that's the track you want to take.

CHACHI
11-08-2015, 02:23 PM
George, I don't know what track to take.

I was hoping that the box would fail, but it tests out perfect, as well as the coil and the pick up. I can't get the box hot enough to see if it is the issue.

I stood the coil in boiling water for 15 minutes, the coil itself was close to 200F, it tested ok. Heated the pick up to approx 150, it also tested fine.
It is raining out, so tomorrow, I will fire the car up and run it outside while I call MSD.

Hopefully they will have an answer.

Ken

gcarter
11-08-2015, 03:17 PM

I was hoping that the box would fail, but it tests out perfect, as well as the coil and the pick up. I can't get the box hot enough to see if it is the issue.

I stood the coil in boiling water for 15 minutes, the coil itself was close to 200F, it tested ok. Heated the pick up to approx 150, it also tested fine.
It is raining out, so tomorrow, I will fire the car up and run it outside while I call MSD.

Ken

Ken, could you move the box inside under the dash, if it's the problem?

CHACHI
11-08-2015, 03:52 PM
George, that is where the box is currently located.

it is hot under that hood.

Ken

tmdog
11-08-2015, 06:47 PM
Well partner, hope MSD can help. Cases like that are really a head scratcher. Hope problem is simple and keep us updated.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-08-2015, 10:19 PM

Ken

Ken,
I have the MSD box in my Cobra in the engine compartment on the firewall and have never had any problems. However, I have had problems with pickups before in various applications - just not the Cobra.

CHACHI
11-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Spoke to the MSD tech, he says to change the pick up in the dist.

I guessing the box may be heading west in a brown truck .

Ken

Ed Donnelly
11-09-2015, 10:25 AM
If it is the pick up, it will be the first time I was ever right...Ed

CHACHI
11-11-2015, 11:53 AM
Sorry Ed, the box is off to El Paso.

Ken

CHACHI
12-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Box is back.

Replaced a capacitor, resistor and a transistor.

$43.00

Car starts.

All good.

Ken

Ed Donnelly
12-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Beats replacing the whole thing.
Go for a blast before it gets too cold
You don't have a heater do you? .Ed

CHACHI
12-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Ed, no heater but it was 74 today.

It was a good day to finally wash it.

Ken

tmdog
12-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Question, why a MSD and not a Delco or DUI or other proven system? I have heard so many stories of breakdown attributed to parts of the MSD. Someone mentioned carrying MSD spare dist. parts in case of failure. Choice of MSD really puzzles me with so many other choices out there. I have gained my limited knowledge from other boating sites.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-03-2015, 01:52 AM
Box is back.

Replaced a capacitor, resistor and a transistor.

$43.00

Car starts.

All good.

Ken

Ken,
This good to know for future reference.
My Cobra came with a heater which blows out of demisters on the dash under the windshield and controls in the glove box since the previous
owner lives in Minnesota, but I have never used it. He also threw in a new yellow down jacket to match the car color - that has been used - lol.

CHACHI
12-03-2015, 06:53 AM
tmdog, engine builder dropped in a MSD distributor..rest of the system followed.

Ken

tmdog
12-03-2015, 08:17 AM
In no way was I suggesting fault with MSD choice, sorry if comment was interpreted that way. Happy for you, Cobra is fixed and up and running again. Always admired that car.