PDA

View Full Version : Killed my TRS, to death

pipnit
11-06-2015, 09:35 AM
This past summer, I didn't get to use the Orange Whip as much as I wanted (500hp '76 2+3 with a stroker small block) because it was our second year with our 06 Tiara 2900 Open Classic (which has been great btw). The second to last time I took the Orange Whip out, it seemed like the exhaust was WHOOPING a little harder than normal but nothing really odd. We went for a "slow" cruise and it was great. The last time I took her out, I sensed the same heavy exhaust feel and my gut told me that something is not right. Of course, I didn't listen to my gut. :bonk:
As soon as I rounded the lighthouse, I nailed the throttle to get her up on plane and the entire boat just starts to shake, A LOT! I immediately throttle down, turn around, let my buddy take the helm and I lift the engine hatch to confirm that we aren't sinking. After I realize the boat is still water tight, I take the helm while there is still a slight shake, put her in neutral and the shaking went away. It was obviously a drive problem. So, I limp my way up the river to get put on the dry rack and about 200 yards from the racks, the drive seizes up. I start her again, put her in forward and she seizes again. I start her again, put her in reverse and I'm able to limp back to the racks, backwards.
The drive is totally destroyed. A pinon bearing burnt up and the shaft started flopping around in there more and more. It is not repairable... I'll post pics when I get a chance to go grab some. It's too bad but it happened. The drive is the only part of the boat that hasn't been completely redone. I've rebuilt the motor (twice) the transmission and the entire boat so it is sweet and it is a keeper. I'm not averse to spending some cash to do the right thing.
So, knowing what you now know, do you think it make more sense for me to find a TRS drive and hope for the best or buy a TRS drive and rebuild it or pull the trigger and spend 8-10K for a Konrad TRS replacement. Evidently the Konrad is about 2" shorter and they said they typically see 2-4mph increase if nothing else has changed.
Your thoughts, experiences and feedback are welcome! Thanks guys...

Ghost
11-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Bummer about your TRS. The Konrad sounds tempting if you don't see clearly-good choices in the used market.

yeller
11-06-2015, 11:57 AM
I don't follow the TRS market, but I'd be inclined to think you could find a good used one at a reasonable price.

or

I don't know if he still has it, but Inferno had a new Konrad for sale a while back.

f_inscreenname
11-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Drives are just hand grenades waiting to go off and when they do metal goes everywhere. :confused:

Ghost
11-06-2015, 12:25 PM
I don't follow the TRS market, but I'd be inclined to think you could find a good used one at a reasonable price.

or

I don't know if he still has it, but Inferno had a new Konrad for sale a while back.

Not certain but I have in my head that it was a different drive (meaning, not a TRS replacement). Also don't think he still has it, but we can find out...

pipnit
11-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Drives are just hand grenades waiting to go off and when they do metal goes everywhere. :confused:

Is this a question, a statement or a joke? :confused:

pipnit
11-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Not certain but I have in my head that it was a different drive (meaning, not a TRS replacement). Also don't think he still has it, but we can find out...

I searched, I found and it's been sold.

Ghost
11-06-2015, 12:28 PM

Mark's been through a LOT. :)

f_inscreenname
11-06-2015, 08:20 PM

Dude, nothing but sympathy. I lost 2 this year myself. After one goes I’ve found its better to just throw it away. Had one break a vertical shaft. Got just enough metal flakes in it from that after the shaft was replaced the top end burned up, replace that and the bottom end burns up.

joseph m. hahnl
11-06-2015, 08:40 PM
I Popped two Alpha's this year. Bearing pack let go on both uppers :boggled:

olredalert
11-07-2015, 08:42 AM
----OSO for sale area is your friend. Plenty usually for sale there. They are great drives. Don't give up on them......Bill S

gcarter
11-08-2015, 12:33 PM
I think that if I had a TRS setup, and could afford it, I'd go for the Konrad.

MOP
11-08-2015, 03:04 PM
The Konrad being 2" shorter and far more hydrodynamic will give you 2-3 mph.

rr1048
11-09-2015, 01:09 AM
I also have a TRS and I have considered the same option if and when my TRS has a serious issue. What transmission do you have? I have a Merctrans and wondered if the Konrad would be a compatable fit. Most times I hear of the TRS to Konrad conversion, I think it is with the BW transmission. Good luck with the drive and I will be interested to see your choice.

Ghost
11-09-2015, 08:39 AM
I also have a TRS and I have considered the same option if and when my TRS has a serious issue. What transmission do you have? I have a Merctrans and wondered if the Konrad would be a compatable fit. Most times I hear of the TRS to Konrad conversion, I think it is with the BW transmission. Good luck with the drive and I will be interested to see your choice.

So, I don't KNOW for sure, but my understanding is that a Konrad will be fine with the Merctrans.

RockyS18
11-09-2015, 12:06 PM
My cousin, who is on here under username jtr2kwl, has a TRS and transmission lying around, and if my memory serves me correctly the transmission is an "MCM-E" which is one of the stronger ones they had. They were on his Cig 20, he's looking to sell them you should shoot him a message.

Pat McPherson
11-11-2015, 09:26 AM
In your shoes I'd bolt on another TRS or if willing to spend 8-10K I'd reconfigure with a Bravo.
Obviously reconfiguring with a Bravo for 8-10K will require doing a lot of the work yourself and some used components.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-11-2015, 11:41 AM
In your shoes I'd bolt on another TRS or if willing to spend 8-10K I'd reconfigure with a Bravo.
Obviously reconfiguring with a Bravo for 8-10K will require doing a lot of the work yourself and some used components.

I tend to agree with Pat, but to add another possibility is installing a #2 speedmaster which come in LH or RH and should bolt right up in place of the TRS drive with the BW transmission. If you have the Merctan transmission, I believe the input shaft from the drive to the tailstock has to be changed.

olredalert
11-12-2015, 08:40 AM
----Bill,,,I thought that a Speedy 2 was quite a bit longer than a stock TRS. Am I wrong?.......Bill S

gcarter
11-12-2015, 08:57 AM
----Bill,,,I thought that a Speedy 2 was quite a bit longer than a stock TRS. Am I wrong?.......Bill S

I thought they were longer too. But that's what I was told.

HallJ
11-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Yes they are longer.
Mark, how much longer?????????

Jeff

Conquistador_del_mar
11-12-2015, 01:09 PM

Yes, they are longer cases by a fair amount. I don't have a regular TRS to measure after selling my 36' Cigarette and 25' Martini, but I do have a LH and RH speedmaster 2 - one is the crescent design leading edge and one is the straight line leading edge. I believe they changed the design over the years of manufacturing? From what I remember, most guys did not feel like you gain speed with the speedmasters until hitting around 80MPH.

smidgen too
11-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Yes they are longer.
Mark, how much longer?????????

Jeff

There about 2" longer, when bolting them on were a stock foot was you will go slower unless you raise them up...

HallJ
11-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Bill,
I didn't realize they made a II lower with a crescent leading edge. Pics please! What would it take to bolt one up to a Volvo?

Jeff

Lil Grizz
11-15-2015, 10:22 PM
I have two TRS transmissions sitting in storage if you need them. Not sure which ones, Dad kept them as spares for his Criterion and they are not both the same model. Shoot me a PM if I can help you out.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-16-2015, 02:34 AM
Bill,
I didn't realize they made a II lower with a crescent leading edge. Pics please! What would it take to bolt one up to a Volvo?

Jeff

Jeff,
I can try to check tomorrow, but the more I think about it I believe the TRS SSMs are the straight leading edge design only. I was thinking about the #3s. I don't believe anything Merc made can be used with Volvo.
Concerning the original question, another TRS unit would probably be the cheapest way to go. You have to make sure you get the correct rotation drive for the application. If the input shaft and prop shaft spin the same direction, I believe that is a left hand rotation from memory - but you should double check that.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Bill,

Jeff

Jeff,
Here are a RH and LH #2 (TRS) SSM. As you can see, the one on the left has a straight leading edge compared to the crescent leading edge on the drive on the right. I hope I have the nomenclature correct in calling the TRS style a #2? Anyway, either of these will take the place of a regular TRS drive. Bill

smidgen too
11-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Bill,

Jeff

Jeff the KO cat Rob & I built had the crescent Trs speed II drives, must have been made at the end of there production.

pipnit
11-23-2015, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all of the offers and advice guys. I haven't pulled the trigger, yet but I'm leaning towards doing the Konrad swap, NEW and supportable along with being 2" shorter are all good things, IMO. The boat is so clean and it's a keeper that I'm not averse to throwing down the $$.

gcarter
11-23-2015, 07:25 AM
Good move!

smidgen too
11-24-2015, 06:01 PM
A friend of mine bought a Excalibur Fountain with twin Trs Speed II drives. After looking at his options He wanted to go with a Konrad drive but after taking to many who had them he went with the complete Konrad package gimbal housing & drive. I wanted him just to put a stock Trs drives back on, the drives would be 2" higher & most likely faster than the speed II. Konrad has a drive that can be used with the Trs gimbal but that's still putting a bandage on the Trs set up, you might as well use the Trs drive. He bought the used drives off this Konrad race boat for around 18k & thought he had a good deal.

pipnit
12-10-2015, 05:04 PM
well, I got all my measurements and info to Konrad and got the final quote. Ouch! While, I haven't shot it down all together, $15K plus R&R plus prop testing plus painting the transom is a tough pill to swallow! :shocking:

pipnit
03-31-2016, 10:02 AM
Well, I decided to stick with the evil I know (and the more affordable option). I tracked down a NOS TRS unit and pulled the trigger. It wasn't cheap but the other option was more than twice expensive. It'll be cool having a NOS unit and I know she'll last a long, long time. After looking at the old drive that ate itself, it was evident that at some point, water got in to the drive and sat there.
I need to order a nose cone and get it welded on and painted but it should be a really simple, fast swap. I'll share some pics of the wrecked drive later on, it's impressive!

gcarter
03-31-2016, 10:33 AM
Just curious......are nose cones "welded" on?
The nose cone on my Bravo is epoxied on, at least I'm pretty sure it is. At least when I stripped it down for re-finishing, epoxy and filler is all I saw.

BUIZILLA
03-31-2016, 10:58 AM
unless you run well over 70, the nose cone won't help

pipnit
03-31-2016, 11:05 AM
Just curious......are nose cones "welded" on?
The nose cone on my Bravo is epoxied on, at least I'm pretty sure it is. At least when I stripped it down for re-finishing, epoxy and filler is all I saw.

Funny, the one I currently have was welded on, I know because I had it welded on but now looking at what is available and they're "kits" they all say to use the supplied epoxy.

pipnit
04-13-2020, 12:46 PM
Digging this thread back up because... drum roll... I blew up another TRS drive! This time is was a two year old unit that I found, NIB. The output shaft sheared right off, likely from not throttling down enough in re entry. SO, we're going with a Konrad this time. I'll be curious to see how it goes...

Pismo
04-27-2020, 03:04 PM
Isnt that an easy fix, just get a new shaft?

pipnit
05-08-2020, 10:40 AM
Isnt that an easy fix, just get a new shaft?

When the shaft let go, it broke the housing too.

Konrad drive is shipping today! Should be cool and maybe a little more performance too since it's shorter but that is not the reason I got it.

Ghost
05-09-2020, 02:11 PM
I’m guessing the Konrad will have bigger gears and more gear loss, but as you say, less drag. Good luck with it—curious to hear how the. Konrad does.

pipnit
05-22-2020, 10:41 AM
I’m guessing the Konrad will have bigger gears and more gear loss, but as you say, less drag. Good luck with it—curious to hear how the. Konrad does.

Thanks. I just received it this week, the unit does look very nice. I too am curious to see how she works, I'll report back with some notes and photos once installed.

yeller
06-03-2020, 10:24 AM
Are you up and running yet?