PDA

View Full Version : Palatke this week end

bertsboat
10-27-2015, 08:44 AM
I know it's a little late and I thought this was posted here, buy, a few Donzi guys will be at the Crystal River resort in Palatka this week end. Maybe some of you Florida guys might come over. Nothing special planned, just a cruise on the river and the weather is supose to be fantastic too. http://cc-resort.com/
The rooms look to be around $60.00 per night but don't hold me to it.
Maybe see you there??

Tidbart
10-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Crystal Cove :eek::yes:

chip w
10-29-2015, 02:47 PM
I'd love to come up for this but if I skip Halloween with my son and then go to the run up on the Suwanee in two weeks things might be a bit cool around the homestead. :garfield:

bertsboat
10-30-2015, 12:00 PM
Heading there now. Will take pictures

bertsboat
10-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Fun on the St Johns

Last Tango
10-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks to a timely phone call, I will be there on Saturday. Although I sold my 22ZX over a year ago, it looks like I will have a chance to stir up my Donzi Fever this weekend.

Last Tango
10-31-2015, 04:38 PM
Absolutely spectacular boating day! Temp in the low 80's, clear blue skies, very light breeze... could not have asked for more.

Sadly, George Carter arrived a little late (but we waited) only to report he had lost a wheel on his double axle trainer. Sure enough... failed bearing. Further inspection showed that a wheel bearing on the opposite side and other axle was also about to depart. Bert said he would help George repair the broken mounting and bearings, so the two other boats headed out. Later, it was discovered that virtually all four bearings had/were failing and had damaged the axles. So the group sat around and bench-raced the possibilities. I had to leave to head back to Jax, so the answer will have to wait for another post by someone else.

Being largely useless when it comes to hands on repairs, I opted to join the boaters. We went south on the Saint Johns down to the middle of Lake George, then turned around and headed back for lunch at what may become the new Unofficial Werl Headquarters of the SEADOG - Renegades - located just a tad north of our previous Unofficial Werl Headquarters of the SEADOGs - Porkeys.

Great day, lots of sunshine (it is Florida after all) and nobody cared about college football.
Pictures to follow.

gcarter
11-01-2015, 10:51 AM
To say I was frustrated would be an understatement! I had spared no expense on rebuilding
the trailer. It's not that I don't know how to pack bearings. I'll take the blame as I used
nothing but the best Timkin bearings, seals, and their special grease. Up until Saturday,
I had only put about 30 miles on the trailer. It's only about 3 miles to the local ramp.
My thanks to Bert Harris for helping me. It was pretty warm, 88*, and I'm not sure I
could have got it done as easily w/out him. He's a stand up guy who spent the day helping
me instead of boating.
It was also good to finally meet Dick Bipes who has recently moved to south central Florida
from the far north. Also it my first time to meet Greg K.

bertsboat
11-01-2015, 10:58 AM
I assume you made it home without incident? I do not have your personal number or I would have called to check up on your progress. Maybe you PM me that information for the future George.
My pleasure. Got to know you and enjoyed every second of it.
Bert

To say I was frustrated would be an understatement! I had spared no expense on rebuilding
the trailer. It's not that I don't know how to pack bearings. I'll take the blame as I used
nothing but the best Timkin bearings, seals, and their special grease. Up until Saturday,
I had only put about 30 miles on the trailer. It's only about 3 miles to the local ramp.
My thanks to Bert Harris for helping me. It was pretty warm, 88*, and I'm not sure I
could have got it done as easily w/out him. He's a stand up guy who spent the day helping
me instead of boating.
It was also good to finally meet Dick Bipes who has recently moved to south central Florida
from the far north. Also it my first time to meet Greg K.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-01-2015, 11:24 AM

George,
Did you figure out what might have gone wrong with the bearings? Water penetration past the seals, bad Timken bearings?

gcarter
11-02-2015, 07:10 AM
I don't know Bill. I'll just assume water got in somehow.
When I got home, all was good. The ambient temperature
was 88* and the hub temps were 106*, 106*, 106*, and
109*. I have to do everything over as the parking lot was
really dusty.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-02-2015, 10:31 AM
I don't know Bill. I'll just assume water got in somehow.
When I got home, all was good. The ambient temperature
was 88* and the hub temps were 106*, 106*, 106*, and
109*. I have to do everything over as the parking lot was
really dusty.

Maybe the axle shoulders that the seals ride on are not perfect? A friend turned me on to speedi sleeves when I was messing with one of my trailers, and it looks like they work perfectly. Just a thought.
http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/seals/industrial/products/Pages/wearsleeves.aspx

bertsboat
11-02-2015, 01:38 PM
I have seen those sleeves on trailers when I did a repair and didn't know what they were. I thought I took something off that I shouldn't have. I thank you for bringing this up. I like those a lot and will try to use them next time I do my bearings (which I am about to do after this week end).

Maybe the axle shoulders that the seals ride on are not perfect? A friend turned me on to speedi sleeves when I was messing with one of my trailers, and it looks like they work perfectly. Just a thought.
http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/seals/industrial/products/Pages/wearsleeves.aspx

CHACHI
11-02-2015, 02:15 PM
I installed one of those sleeves on the crank snout when I was rebuilding my 428.

Crank seal rides right on it, no more oil leak.

Ken

gcarter
11-10-2015, 02:15 PM
FWD STBD spindle was toast, after looking at it this past Saturday.
Picked up a new Tie Down 3,500# Torsion axle w/replaceable spindles.
Wish the old axles had them!
Here's the new axle in my shop.
The old axle is now out.

bertsboat
11-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Learn from George. Buy new only and choose your accessories yourself. No such thing as a deal on a used trailer. The little tings add up and it's hot outside.
George, one on the port didn't look too good either. I should have took pictures of us sweating out buts off out there!

FWD STBD spindle was toast, after looking at it this past Saturday.
Picked up a new Tie Down 3,500# Torsion axle w/replaceable spindles.
Wish the old axles had them!
Here's the new axle in my shop.
The old axle is now out.

gcarter
11-10-2015, 06:56 PM
The thing is, even if you buy new, say from a dealer, you'll still end up changing it.
For instance, this axle came from Road King Trailers in Ocala. Even though they're
located in the middle of FL, they don't offer stainless brakes. Must be a supplier issue.
They probably won't credit you w/no brakes so you can add them yourself.
Actually, they build a pretty nice trailer.

I now have a little over $3K in this trailer, so I guess I'm still ahead.