PDA

View Full Version : New motor

Magnum Ralph
10-20-2015, 04:16 PM
My last hurrah! Bldg new motor for my classic 18 it will emi thunder exhaust alpha ss dual ram full hydraulic . It will be 400ci all Dart block aluminum heads and intake . I've done numerous drag race motors but not a marine . Also will be a full roller motor. Est. min. 425 horse . Will be dynoed before install . What carb do you guys like or could go with aftermarket edit. Numerous custom ego guys in Detroit . Any input appreciated . Thanks

tmdog
10-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Holley 750. That is on a Dart 406, forged bottom, AFR195 Eliminator alum. heads. Same carb used on a 383. 383 dynoed 492H/498T. You are being modest with your power numbers. Dyno may put a smile on your face.:)

Christian
10-20-2015, 08:58 PM
excellent ideas and like the suggestions of the holley.
Qs: what rotating assy are you interested in? Rods? Pistons? Compression ratio?
Cam? size? manufacturer?

Magnum Ralph
10-21-2015, 07:37 AM
Top draw stuff. Builder I work with won't use anything else. Rods will be h beam diamond pistons (local) and cam not yet determined may be a custom grind . Motor will be built to last with high torque. I do the work at his place under his supervision . Fun to build that way.

Lenny
10-21-2015, 09:05 AM
How are you attaching dual ram hyd to the Alpha SS ???

olredalert
10-21-2015, 09:13 AM
----Ralph,,,I think you saw my two 383s when you were over here. Crockett built them. I asked for as much torque as he could build, and I got two 383s with 460ftlbs and around 415hp apiece ahead of BWs and TRSs with nose cones. GM aluminum heads along with air-gap intakes and Tylers choice of cams and carbs. Don't have the specs in front of me, but I wanted long lasting engines that had a bit of a lope. Could have had a bunch more horsies relatively easily but 830hp is enough for a 24 Spitfire. I am more interested in a decent cruise speed than top end, hence the high torque request. Now if I can just get off my butt and finish the boat.......Bill S

Pat McPherson
10-21-2015, 09:41 AM
I know using the 1.3 ratio gears helps but?

A stroker sbc is perfect for an 18... this will be my next Donzi combo.

Good Luck with the build; sounds like a fun winter project!

Magnum Ralph
10-21-2015, 10:06 AM
Nice to hear from you. Your thoughts and mine same. High torque solid motor good cruise speed. I used same philosophy in my last race car. Ran a naturally aspirated 807 with beefed up PG trans. At that time was fastest naturally aspirated PG car in USA. Ran 6.72 seconds at 207 mph.

smidgen too
10-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Top draw stuff. Builder I work with won't use anything else. Rods will be h beam diamond pistons (local) and cam not yet determined may be a custom grind . Motor will be built to last with high torque. I do the work at his place under his supervision . Fun to build that way.

Ralph is this a new, new engine builder not on the river road ?? Mark

Magnum Ralph
10-22-2015, 08:09 AM
A long time friend that has built motors as a hobby all his life. Build 30 last year. All high end top dollar stuff. He is also friends with Richard Maskin owner of Dart and does development work with Maskin. As a friend he allows me to build at his place under his supervision. He cuts no corners and everything is done perfectly. I think he likes the company and I help with other things. He lives only 5 miles away. My bracket car (runs. 9.50) has one built at his place with 450 runs and leaks perfectly.