PDA

View Full Version : The new home of a 1976 Classic 18 is...

retroicon
10-12-2015, 01:13 AM
Hello all,

Figured I'd make an introduction since I found my boat here on the forum. I bought f_inscreenname's (Mark's) 1976 18 classic, and it made the trip down to me in the Orlando area. Unfortunately the shipper caused some damage to the keel in transit (long story), so I'm fixing that up before getting it wet. I'm guessing that should be within the week.

Why the Donzi? Well, it's the first I've owned, but I've probably been behind the wheel of a good 50-75 different Donzi's over the years. I grew up in the Keys, and worked at a marina that was a Pro-Line and Donzi dealer back in the mid 90's. I've probably been behind the wheel of 500 boats, and the classic 18's were always one of my favorites. As far as choosing the specific year, let's just say it's close to the year I was born, and a neighbor happened to have one around the same age when I was growing up.

No big plans for the boat quite yet, but I'll make sure it's taken care of well. Already have a few little ideas to make it mine, but I'm not going to share quite yet.

I did notice the boat had FL numbers on it, pre-restoration, so it made its way back to FL in more ways than one. Apparently it belongs down here. ;)

I've noticed there are a few other owners in the Central FL area, and a couple that I guess get together every now and then for rides. If there's anyone I should know, please point them my way.

Thanks,
Gary

Ed Donnelly
10-12-2015, 03:57 AM
Gary; You got yourself one beautiful boat....Congradulations....Ed

Magnum Ralph
10-12-2015, 07:43 AM
I am sure mark did a great job on that 76 18. Congrats

gcarter
10-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Congratulations on the purchase!
There is an event coming up at the end of the month in Palatka.
http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthread.php/5349-Palatka-St-Johns-River-Oct-31

retroicon
10-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure i'll have a few questions along the way. I've owned a few boats over the years, and probably 30 jet skis, but this is the first boat I've owned that isn't powered by an outboard.

Gcarter, I think I may have put some money in your pocket at some point, there's a Kinetico system outside my house. ;)

-Gary

gcarter
10-13-2015, 07:39 AM
Gcarter, I think I may have put some money in your pocket at some point, there's a Kinetico system outside my house. ;)

-Gary

I'm not sure, but if you live in Orange, Osceola, or Seminole counties, you put into my Brother In Law's pocket.
We cover Lake, Sumter, and Marion counties.
But you get the benefit regardless.

Greg Guimond
10-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Welcome retro and congrats on your new (to you) 18 Classic. Nice to see a new name on the site given there fewer and fewer people on the forum these days. :clap:

chip w
10-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Nice boat and congrats on the purchase. We're in the Tampa area and run a 18C as well.

Besides Palatka there is also the BBQ by the Suwannee in Nov. it's not a Donzi event but a lot of cool fast boats. It's listed on the Screamandfly website.

Pat McPherson
10-13-2015, 02:39 PM
I watched the rebuild video 3 or 4 times. Good Luck with your 18 Donzi Classic!

Tidbart
10-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Welcome aboard retro. Where in Orlando do you live?

Bob

yeller
10-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Congrats on the purchase! You got A LOT of boat for the money. :yes:

wwahl
10-13-2015, 11:46 PM
Welcome retro and congrats on your new (to you) 18 Classic. Nice to see a new name on the site given there fewer and fewer people on the forum these days. :clap:
We are here, but we don't talk enough! I love reading the back and forth. I share when I can.

retroicon
10-14-2015, 12:15 AM
I'm on the East side of Orlando, not too far from UCF, but I've been all over the state. I'm one of the few remaining actual FL Natives.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get out to any events in the coming months, my wife is expecting, but I'll be out plenty when she's back on her feet. I'd also like to get a good handle on the boat before I'm out in a crowd. It'll take a little time in the seat, but that shouldn't take me too long.

I'd also like to be sure I shake out any gremlins that might pop up. Everything looks good, but it's still a newer re-build, with not too many hours on it, so I'm sure there's going to be something that comes loose at some point or another. Better I find that out on a small lake, than in the middle of 50 boats cruising down the St.Johns.

Chip, I used to live in Tampa when I was younger, and spent countless weekends on Lake Tarpon with my family. I'd like to get back out there at some point.

I'm not sure my wife is going to be a fan of me going to see more expensive toys. She knows it's only a matter of time before there's something 27' or larger that follows me home.

-Gary