PDA

View Full Version : I bought myself a 21GT

Gerk
10-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Check another one off the list.
I am still restoring the Barrelback and pretty close to being done.

My buddies and I are trying to get 1 of every classic model.
Still looking for a Hornet.

I bought that 1970 21GT in Texas that was on CL and eBay.
Very cool boat but still in need of work.
The boat should not have been hauled on the trailer it came with. The boat almost fell off and dragged the outdrive for a couple mins (apparently--This is from the hauler)

All in all I love the look.

Maybe I should post separately, but I need a windshield support bar. These windshields are awful and weak. The Taylor Made are not supported in the center. The bracket is off to one side. (hope that makes sense). 830808308283081

bertsboat
10-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Measure where you need to be. I have some nice quality ones that are adjustable by a few inches. I'll send you. Bert

The boat should not have been hauled on the trailer it came with. The boat almost fell off and dragged the outdrive for a couple mins (apparently--This is from the hauler)

Maybe I should post separately, but I need a windshield support bar. These windshields are awful and weak. The Taylor Made are not supported in the center. The bracket is off to one side. (hope that makes sense). 830808308283081

Gerk
10-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Very cool thank you so much.

There is a slight sag in the windshield, but when I bring it to level, it is 12" right on

penbroke
10-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Great looking boat!!

Frank

DONZI-DON
10-06-2015, 08:23 PM

Congrates - Nice looking boat. Love the color

Morgan's Cloud
10-07-2015, 06:28 AM
Really Nice. Please put up more pics as you go through it .

chip w
10-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Congrats on the purchase! Keep us posted on the progress.

Here's a link to a great video of a Sweet Cheekz running his 21GT on Lake Michigan. I love that boat!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?69814-GT-21-On-Lake-Michigan-Waves

Gerk
10-15-2015, 12:14 PM
On a 21GT with a 454 would a Solas Titan 23Lh prop be a good choice?

I have the 21 Solas Titan for the 18'er.

Is that 23 big enough or are people running different props for the bigger 21's and 22' Classics?

I guess I am just trying to find what you Hornet, GT, and 22 Classic users are driving.
BTW, I am in high altitude if that changes things.

Thanks all.

Gerk
10-15-2015, 03:55 PM
M8stake.
I believe we run the titan 19 on our 18 classics with 350 and 351s.

johnnywhale
10-15-2015, 07:52 PM
Solas 23 on my 21GT sbc works great

mattyboy
10-16-2015, 05:31 AM
I would think a 454 could turn a 23 Solas test it with the 21 and see where you are what rpm are you looking to run the 454 at

Gerk
10-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Yeah I made a mistake saying I had a 21. I have a 19 for the X18.

I may just say screw it and go for a Solas 23 and keep fingers crossed

mattyboy
10-16-2015, 02:32 PM
what prop is on it now?

Gerk
10-20-2015, 11:56 AM
The prop that is on it now is a Hill Thrasher LH 15x25.
It has some grinding on the edges due to the boat nearly falling off the trailer and hitting the ground.

Can they be smoothed out?
Is that a good prop? I actually just a saw a new thread asking about the Hill Thrasher.

Should I just try it as it is? The grinding is not awful although if I was to keep, I would have a prop shop clean it up if that is possible.

mattyboy
10-20-2015, 05:35 PM
if it is just scrapped a little and not bent it should be ok try it make sure there is no vibration it may also pay to check the prop shaft it may have been bent depending on how hard it hit. if you pull the prop and run the boat on the trailer in gear see if the shaft has a wobble in it

Ghost
10-21-2015, 12:46 AM
Congrats on the GT--cool boat!!

Conquistador_del_mar
10-21-2015, 02:09 PM
I'm glad to see you bought the GT-21 from Jerry. He had bought it from me in the 1980s and held on to it until you just bought it. I know you will get it back to its former glory. Bill

Gerk
10-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Thank you for that picture. That is awesome. Any more would be great. I love seeing old pics

The process has begun.

I just got back from the mechanics and it got a average to below average bill of health.

Carb was shot, bellows are shot, u joints prob shot, transom may have some issues due to the outdrive hitting, fuel is awful in the tank.

Thats just where Ive begun.

Once I get those fixed before winter, I need to take her out and run it to see where any other problems are.

Then new interior, new rub rail, some paint work, carpet, re chroming hardware, New decals, new gauges, new water pump

Holy Moly, now that I write it all out, I should have just saved up and bought a restored one HAHA.

To be honest, I have tons of boats, but I like the look of this one better than any of the other boats.

bertsboat
10-22-2015, 08:18 AM
It should be there Friday Gerk

Gerk
10-23-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks Bert. It arrived this afternoon.
Thank you so very much.

Ive done a lot of work on her the past few days.
Today was the maiden voyage for me.

She did great. Still some bugs to work out.

Ran about 50 MPH at 4000 RPMs. I didn't push it too much.

I love it although she still needs quite a few things before next summer83181

Conquistador_del_mar
10-23-2015, 10:19 PM
It looks really nice in the picture you posted. I believe I painted at least the blue on that one with Imron when I had it in the mid 1980s.

Blue Blazer
10-31-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks Bert. It arrived this afternoon.
Thank you so very much.

Ive done a lot of work on her the past few days.
Today was the maiden voyage for me.

She did great. Still some bugs to work out.

Ran about 50 MPH at 4000 RPMs. I didn't push it too much.

I love it although she still needs quite a few things before next summer83181

Great looking boat!

I noticed your comment about high altitude and saw the photo of the boat at the Lake Forrest ramp.

I am trying to figure out the same thing for the prop on my Hornet III, have you made any progress with this?