PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing 1991 Sweet 16 OMC 5.0 Ford

BOSTONCAMARO
10-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Hello,

I am winterizing my boat, first time I have done it, my dad was always the one to do it.

Removed block plugs one on their side, removed all hoses at top of t stat / water pump area at top. 4 hoses total.

All water is out, then flushed antifreeze through block so it indeed ran out of the block plug hole on either side of block.

Removed plugs that water goes through in drive, flushed antifreeze through that. I believe I have replicated the process that my dad did, let me know your thoughts.

Also should I add stabil? I hear sometimes it can cause clogging etc?

thanks, Tim

wwahl
10-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Exhaust headers?

Zudnic
10-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Not much to add. I don't like ethanol fuels, it doesn't store well. I add stabil to anything that sits all winter. I also change the fuel filters, because the stabil usually doesn't reach them and they can get gummed up. I also drain carbs of all fuel for the same reason.

BOSTONCAMARO
10-07-2015, 01:48 PM
I did put antifreeze through all hoses, I did not drain manifolds, how do I? I dont think my dad ever did either but of course I want to do whatever needs to be done.

wwahl
10-08-2015, 04:19 PM
I did put antifreeze through all hoses, I did not drain manifolds, how do I? I dont think my dad ever did either but of course I want to do whatever needs to be done.

There usually are drain plugs, most with a wing type screw. Feel around back there.

mattyboy
10-15-2015, 04:33 PM
on the 302 there are two block drains one fwd on the starboard side and one towards the stern on the port side any plug that you pull you should take a wire hanger or solid 12 guage wire and poke into the drain holes . muck and sand can build up and hold water in the riser should have drain plugs too but sometimes they are hard to remove. I run mine on a hose with a bilge pump and spakle bucket with 4 gallons of antifreeze for 5 minutes or so then drain it and make sure I get antifreeze at each drain then I blow out the risers with air