PDA

View Full Version : padded bottom

craigdskilling
09-29-2015, 08:05 PM
I am thinking of doing a padded bottom on my 18 donzi. I have a Blackhawk drive and supercharged motor and was wondering if anyone has done this I so picks and advice would be great thanks craig.

Lenny
09-30-2015, 02:11 AM
Don't extend it below the orginal bottom of the hull ( radius ) simply go left and right about 4" and travel forward about 4'. Get tabs ( longer ) to support the hull. Make the transition at the transom sharp like knife. Fair the entry of the pad in slowly at the bow end. It will end up being about 5/8" off of the hull left and right at most extreme.

Here is a link from 5 centurys ago ...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?43928-A-few-Benchseat-X-18-pics&highlight=bench

craigdskilling
09-30-2015, 06:26 AM
Lenny do you make the pad yourself or do you buy and install it. I have the man who builds tuff boats here in Cambridge Ontario who is wanting to do the work,I hope on it but I would like to no more about it first thanks craig.

Ed Donnelly
09-30-2015, 06:39 AM
I did this to my 16 around 30 or so years ago. It also had a step..Ed83048

woobs
09-30-2015, 07:49 AM
I did this to my 16 around 30 or so years ago....

Ed, it's understood that a pad is better for top end speed and possibly getting to plane more quickly. My questions are... how much did that pad affect the rough water performance of the 16? Was there much more "pounding" on re-entry? How about cornering?

Regarding the "step" how deep from the transom was it? What was the net effect of this step?

Thanks,
S.

Ed Donnelly
09-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Lenny was right about extending the tabs as you can see how far I extended mine. Don't remember the length of the step but you can see it in the pics.
Ride is rougher and re entry was an experience.

Doing it Lenny's way is a much better idea than the way I did it, but, when mine was done, not many people had tried it.

jl1962
09-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Ed- How big was that prop????
And which "summer" were these pictures taken? ;)

Lenny- whatever happened to that yellow X-18?

Just Say N20
09-30-2015, 03:34 PM
These pictures are valuable.

Easier viewing.

craigdskilling
09-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Ed those picks are classic that sure looks like a great white north. So how do you put this on do you buy it or make it.I think this is what I would like to do to take my boat to the next level.

craigdskilling
09-30-2015, 07:44 PM
do you have to cut the hull out to put this delta pad in or is there another way.

Greg Guimond
09-30-2015, 08:56 PM
I did this to my 16 around 30 or so years ago. It also had a step..Ed

That's not a step. It is a notch ..........at the transom. In general, a "pad" on these hull are a waste of time and money.

Greg Guimond
09-30-2015, 08:57 PM
do you have to cut the hull out to put this delta pad in or is there another way.

That's not a delta pad. It is a raised pad.

Lenny
09-30-2015, 10:20 PM
The pad on the 18 adds speed and carries the hull higher. There are two running here from my molds back in the day and they rock better than the stock 18. They ride noticeably higher. One runs low 60's with a 305 and an Alpha. The other is a wild 383 stroker and it is just nutz anyway.

Gregg, sorry about your experience with the " pad". Obviously you did something different.

Kirby, it's still in my shop waiting for me to retire in the next few weeks...

:)

Craig, in your case I'd " add " it to the bottom. Mine was done to a donor X-18 while upside down and that became a new mold with the pad incorporated. It does NOT extend below the original radius bottom of the hull. Merely left and right of it, horizontal, then vertical to meet the original hull, and then fairs forward to nothing, running out to the original.

"I " like the way they run with it and I have two other original 18's from which to judge from.

Make something removable and add an adhesive that is not permanent. I think you will like the results. ( if you mimmick mine )

Ed Donnelly
10-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Ed- How big was that prop????
And which "summer" were these pictures taken? ;)

Lenny- whatever happened to that yellow X-18?

No idea what the size of the prop was, but, I think the person I soild it to might still have it.Will check in the next couple of days.
Those were my kids from my 3rd wife and Taylor the youngest looks to be around 5, so, that would make the pic from around 1978-79. ..Ed

Greg Guimond
10-01-2015, 07:15 AM
I have the man who builds tuff boats here in Cambridge Ontario who is wanting to do the work..............

Is that man John S ?

Lenny
10-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Here is a pic from 12 years ago when I popped out my first padded 18 from the mold. This is all ancient history now. Also, I must be 12 years older now too :(

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1806.jpg

craigdskilling
10-01-2015, 04:57 PM
That looks awesome Lenny I so am going to do this how much do you think I could gain with the Blackhawk and hp.I am running 85mph now. so how do you adhere that to the boat lenny if I could can I pm you and ask more Q.

Ed Donnelly
10-02-2015, 11:35 AM
No idea what the size of the prop was, but, I think the person I soild it to might still have it.Will check in the next couple of days.
Those were my kids from my 3rd wife and Taylor the youngest looks to be around 5, so, that would make the pic from around 1978-79. ..Ed

14 1/2 29 worked

Lenny
10-03-2015, 09:35 AM
The 18 already cooks with a BH. I have no idea what it would do with the pad. If it is removable then I dont see any reason NOT to try it :)

Greg Guimond
12-07-2015, 08:48 AM
So did you add the pad to it?

craigdskilling
12-07-2015, 07:06 PM
No looks like I am going to raise the drive up to the proper X.I only have to go up maybe 2" it was up high when I changed from my alpha so in the long run it will be cheaper doing this. And I can always add the bottom if need be. also I just got a sweet deal on another Blackhawk drive with 2 sets of props 27 and 29 in mint shape so im going to run the 29 next summer or I hope to spin the 31 if not I have a **** load of mint props coming up for sale soon two sets of 27 ,31 or 29 in mint shape what ever works on my set up.need to unload in spring.

Greg Guimond
12-07-2015, 07:42 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan. Had you decided to add the pad, was John Spaeth going to do the work for you? Just curious.

Greg Guimond
12-07-2015, 07:58 PM
I have a raised pad on my 16 and have built a second 16 from scratch with a different pad bottom. I also have a totally different pad on my Ultra 23. If you are going to keep your Blackhawk drive and raise the X "up" there is a pretty inexpensive option for your 18 Classic hull you may want to consider if Spaeth is accessible to you.

yeller
12-08-2015, 12:20 PM
No looks like I am going to raise the drive up to the proper X.I only have to go up maybe 2" it was up high when I changed from my alpha so in the long run it will be cheaper doing this. And I can always add the bottom if need be. also I just got a sweet deal on another Blackhawk drive with 2 sets of props 27 and 29 in mint shape so im going to run the 29 next summer or I hope to spin the 31 if not I have a **** load of mint props coming up for sale soon two sets of 27 ,31 or 29 in mint shape what ever works on my set up.need to unload in spring.

Please call me 1st for the 31's if you decide to sell.

craigdskilling
12-08-2015, 06:08 PM
No the guys name that builds the tuff boats here is called Mark Weigl if you go to passion for power boating he's on there.He build's the tuff 21 that you see me racing last summer and also the 28 with twin out board also the 28 illmore out of the box doing 120mlp I think now, we boat up in the MUSKOKAS together great guy he knows my boat well. Yeller when the time comes I will let you now bud.Im hoping for a great boating season next year. The engine is out again and going on the dyno to get a few more hp out of it will keep you up to date.

yeller
12-09-2015, 12:53 PM
Thanks Craig. I'm not holding my breath though. My guess is you'll be running the 31's.
If I remember correctly, you are (or plan to be) running 500hp. I was at the rev limiter in my 22 with 525~550hp and the 31's. Once you pull the drive up to be a true surface drive I can't see why you couldn't spin 31's with slightly less hp in an 18.

Looking forward to your test results.