PDA

View Full Version : Out with the sweet 16, In with the Classic 18

DONZI-DON
09-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Sold the SWEET 16 this past March. Boat was mint (1994) and only had 78 hours on her. Had a CASH offer of $18,500 so it had to go. That led to another search for the next DONZI. This time I wanted a Classic 18 and found this one in NJ a couple weeks later. Another clean boat with good paper work. Brand new Marine 357 V8 (2012) with receipts and a new Outdrive in 2009 with receipts. Boat sat about a year do to previous owner being in an acident and was dirty. Just had to wet sand her out and dial her in. Boat runs strong for a 18 I think, 64mph -GPS @4300rpm and NO CHIME WALKING! Here are couple pics.

duckhunter
09-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Congrats! That thing is super clean!

Love the look of a windshield on an 18.

DONZI-DON
09-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Congrats! That thing is super clean!

Love the look of a windshield on an 18.

THANK YOU! I have been told that this windshield is rare because they didn't do many stainless ones and most were aluminum. Any confirmation on that would be grateful. My goal is to keep this for another year and then search for a SHELBY. There is one right in my backyard now, I'm just not financially ready for that jump yet.

Carl C
09-16-2015, 07:26 AM
That's really nice. The dual axle trailer with nice wheels is real pretty too. If it were me though I'd find a way to move the boat forward so the transom was fully supported on the bunks. Congrats on the new ride.

Ed Donnelly
09-16-2015, 07:55 AM
Very nice...Ed

Pat McPherson
09-16-2015, 11:13 AM
She is a nice find for sure!
What year is she?

I'm looking to go from 22 down to 18. I don't have a Shelby though...:cool:

DONZI-DON
09-16-2015, 11:57 AM
She is a nice find for sure!
What year is she?

I'm looking to go from 22 down to 18. I don't have a Shelby though...:cool:

1995 -I would consider a 22 if it is as clean as what I have.

Pat McPherson
09-16-2015, 12:07 PM
1995 -I would consider a 22 if it is as clean as what I have.

I'll give her a bath if you if/when you want to have a look:yes:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?70245-Anyone-with-an-18C-looking-to-trade-up-for-a-22C

DONZI-DON
09-16-2015, 01:14 PM
I'll give her a bath if you if/when you want to have a look:yes:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?70245-Anyone-with-an-18C-looking-to-trade-up-for-a-22C

Shot me some pics at (jhpusasales@roadunner.com) whenever you get looking her best i.e. before you tuck her away for the winter or bring it out in the spring of '16. I have been off my feet for 2 weeks again with back/disk problems and I'm suppose to have left knee replacement surgery beginning of October so this year is pretty over for me as far as the boat goes. It's a rough finish to this year for me. Thanks for looking.

Don

yeller
09-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Looks super clean. Congrats!

DONZI-DON
09-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Looks super clean. Congrats!

Sometime over the winter I'm gonna have a local Gelcoat place wet sand the bottom of the boat out and get a coupe marks out and the boat will pretty much show as MINT. I had a couple people ask me this year if it was new, lol. - I said yes in '95 she was!

CHACHI
09-17-2015, 05:01 AM
DD, where in New York are you located?

Ken

DONZI-DON
09-17-2015, 09:08 AM
DD, where in New York are you located?

Ken

Wheatfield NY. Small farm community between Buffalo & Niagara Falls. The best boating in the country. I'm 20 minutes from Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, Upper Niagara River Lower Niagara River and about an hour from Canadaguia Lake.

Lenny
09-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Very nice. One question though. With the slippery Alpha and a bored 350, rebuit as new, I am surprised at the 4300 rpm number. I'd be playing with props a bit... That is if the drive is a 1:50-1

My $.02

:)

DONZI-DON
09-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Very nice. One question though. With the slippery Alpha and a bored 350, rebuit as new, I am surprised at the 4300 rpm number. I'd be playing with props a bit... That is if the drive is a 1:50-1

My $.02

:)

My buddy that races boats locally only wants me to try one of his props from his "Daily" river boat. He said it would give me about 300-400 more RPM and maybe 2MPH more..... I laughed and said not that I run WOT much but why would I want to run more RPM and use more gas.... He laughed and said did you just say save gas in a boat, lol

I was trying to make the point that with the RPM at 40mph this boat runs I think at about 3200-3300rpm I can go for a 26 mile ride around Grand Island NY using about 6-7 gallons of gas. My buddy is all about speed. Is there any other advantage to having boat run with more RPM? I don't pull skiers or anything so torque is not an issue out of the hole for me.

Pat McPherson
09-17-2015, 11:10 AM
If you want to maximize cruise speed, the merc rev 4 would be a great prop. I'd say 21p to get you closer to the sweet spot for that engine...:)

DONZI-DON
09-17-2015, 01:29 PM
If you want to maximize cruise speed, the merc rev 4 would be a great prop. I'd say 21p to get you closer to the sweet spot for that engine...:)

I admit I'm GREEN when it comes to Boat Performance, so when you say SWEET SPOT for the engine are you referruing to advertised RPM's at certain speeds, longevity of the engine etc?? Im a car guy and I understand Torque & RPM is crucial depending on what the application i.e. drag racing, circle track, mud racing again etc. Are you saying that at "plaining" speeds you should be a minimum RPM and at WOT you should be in certain RPM ranges?

My main use of the boat is pleasure with the occasional use of seeing another performance boat on the water and saying Let's See What You Got. Any feed back or schooling on this would greatly be appreciated.

Pat McPherson
09-17-2015, 01:51 PM
I admit I'm GREEN when it comes to Boat Performance, so when you say SWEET SPOT for the engine are you referruing to advertised RPM's at certain speeds, longevity of the engine etc?? Im a car guy and I understand Torque & RPM is crucial depending on what the application i.e. drag racing, circle track, mud racing again etc. Are you saying that at "plaining" speeds you should be a minimum RPM and at WOT you should be in certain RPM ranges?

My main use of the boat is pleasure with the occasional use of seeing another performance boat on the water and saying Let's See What You Got. Any feed back or schooling on this would greatly be appreciated.

Typically a prop is sized so that the engine will reach its max rpm at WOT.
For example if an engine's max operating range is 4600-5000rpm, you prop for 4900-5000 running light & trimmed out; then make sure you reach 4600-4700 running heavy.
This is done so the engine runs most efficiently and is not "lugged".

I'm guessing that your engine should be running more in the 4600rpm range at WOT.

DONZI-DON
09-17-2015, 02:03 PM
OT.
For example if an engine's max operating range is 4600-5000rpm, you prop for 4900-5000 running light & trimmed out; then make sure you reach 4600-4700 running heavy.
This is done so the engine runs most efficiently and is not "lugged".

I'm guessing that your engine should be running more in the 4600rpm range at WOT.[/QUOTE]

Yes Pat you are right. This is a remanufactured Marine 350 which they call a "357" guessing they call it that do to the bore to clean the cylinder walls out. It's advertised operating WOT RPM is 4600-4800. So I really you are saying I should get something in a prop that would take me to 4600-4700RPM's right?

Thanks for your help and info I appreciate it.

Lenny
09-17-2015, 03:20 PM
Is there any other advantage to having boat run with more RPM?

You don't make the motor have to work so hard trying to spin something that it is having ( obviously ) a hard time doing. Also, you will be using more productive, efficient power/torque from the motor. I'd be looking for a number around 5.000 rpm +/- with you and half fuel when propped right, and limited ( < 7% ) slip.

I can't figure out how you go 64 MPH in an 18 at 4300 rpm's with a 350

???

DONZI-DON
09-17-2015, 03:51 PM
You don't make the motor have to work so hard trying to spin something that it is having ( obviously ) a hard time doing. Also, you will be using more productive, efficient power/torque from the motor. I'd be looking for a number around 5.000 rpm +/- with you and half fuel when propped right, and limited ( < 7% ) slip.

I can't figure out how you go 64 MPH in an 18 at 4300 rpm's with a 350

???

I know with cars sometimes you get a freak motor out of the plant. I'm obviously not the original owner of the boat and the last owner said it was a stock motor. It doesn't sound like it has any work done to it. The day we we took pictures of speedo & tach we then did it with my phone GPS also which showed 64mph running with the river current.

For whats it worth we checked the boat speedo with my phone GPS at 25mph, 37mph (intentional odd number), 50mph and at 64mph. All were within 1mph +- 1mph - so Im guessing that info is accurate.

Pat McPherson
09-18-2015, 11:54 AM
The numbers don't add up that you'd see 64mph with a 23pitch with engine rpm at 4400; it would be better than 100% prop efficiency.
My bet is that your tach reads low by 200rpm. My tach read 200rpm low at 4600; 4600 is really 4800. I confirmed this with a hand held shop/mechanics tach.

For every 1" change of prop pitch, expect about 200rpm change for the same prop.
from 23 to 21 = (+) 400rpm.
for going from 3 blade to 4 blade with same pitch, expect (-) 100rpm.

I still stand by my 21p Merc Rev 4 suggestion. My guess is that you'd gain 300rpm on top and your top speed would be within 1mph.

Lenny
09-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Did you run both ways in the river ? Or, one way only and a 10 knot current ?

Just Say N20
09-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Very beautiful boat. Lots of good prop advice coming your way.

Now, with the utmost respect, and no condescension at all, I want to clarify something.

Chine = The Chine of a vessel's hull is the area where the bilge turns up to become the topsides of the hull." I would say that the chine is the hard edge between the bottom and side of the boat.

Chime = a bell or a metal bar or tube, typically one of a set tuned to produce a melodious series of ringing sounds when struck."

When people refer to chiNe walking, it is an action (sometimes very violent) of the boat being rocked back and forth from one side of the bottom to the other as it travels forward, usually when moving at a high speed.

A boat that runs without chine walking is very desirable. :)

DONZI-DON
09-25-2015, 01:08 AM
Did you run both ways in the river ? Or, one way only and a 10 knot current ?

60MPH against current.

Pat McPherson
09-30-2015, 03:05 PM
60MPH against current.

So take the average and call it 62. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict she'd run a little faster (+1) with the engine RPM up at 4800 with a 21P prop. You'll also have better acceleration which to me is more exciting than top speed...